MXR Zakk Wilde

slashy

Inspired
Hi everybody,I'm searching how to copy the sound of the MXR Zakk wilde Overdrive ?
Perhaps with the Super OD ?
I'd like to put in front of the Comet Concourse amp, in order to have a high gain rhythm preset.
I have a preset with 2 amp (Trainwerck rocket for clean, Komet Concourse for dirty rhythm, and solo), i like these two amp, but i need an another and last sound with the typically Zakk Wilde rhythm .I know he plays on a Marshall with the MXR, but i think that we can copy with the Komet+ one overdrive .
But which overdrive and which settings ?
Sorry for my bad english written ;)
Thank in advance

You could look at what his gear preferences were prior to the production of his signature overdrive and mimic that.

Just a suggestion.

I thought the zw pedal is based on the boss super od so that’s probably a safe place to start.

I thought the zw pedal is based on the boss super od so that’s probably a safe place to start.
Yes i think too.
But but which settings of low and high into the drive block ? too much treble with the Super OD.
The question is, is it better to "play" with the tone or leave the tone at 5 and play with the Low/High cut ?there are so much possibilities.

Yes i think too.
But but which settings of low and high into the drive block ? too much treble with the Super OD.
The question is, is it better to "play" with the tone or leave the tone at 5 and play with the Low/High cut ?there are so much possibilities.
No right or wrong answer. Do what sounds the best to you. Generally speaking though, you need to make those low and hi cuts in your cab block to get rid of those really low and hi frequencies you don't want in your sound and that are not usually in a guitar tone. Then use the tone knob on the drive block to fine tune your tone even more.

I did some reading on the MXR Wylde OD a while back. It’s basically a Boss SD1 with a few mods. The mods gives the MXR a little more gain, changes the taper of the tone knob a bit and reduces the low cut. It’s also been described as a more beefy SD1, by people who own them both.

So, maybe start out with the SD1 model and play with the low cut? No idea of the specific setting though...

Effectively, it seems that is the SD1 is the nearest to MXR Zakk Wilde.
But i found that it cut too low end. And yes, Playing with the low cut seem to be the best solution.Actually, i reduce the low cut to 400HZ.
More low end, but not too much.....

Back
Top Bottom