The Evolution Of Fractal Firmware

Stratoblaster

Fractal Fanatic
Was checking out some info on the AMP block on the AFX II Wiki last night and stumbled upon this history of firmware, amp modeling and found it an amazing read, particularly since you can really see how far the platform has come in a single, chronological page:

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=AMP_block#About_amp_modeling

To see the various improvements, additions, deep technical information, and the overall evolution is a truly fantastic, eye opening read. Man, have we come a long way...and there is still more to come. I've said it a thousand times, but once again, I love my FAS gear like nothing else. Other companies simply pale in comparison IMO.

And another shout out to Yek for maintaining the wiki and providing all of this information...kudos!

Amazing considering previous platforms went thru the same evolution. I got my Ultra when FW was in the 3's. I remember 4.0 being a big deal. It would be awesome if all manufacturers followed Fractals dedication.

an audio comparison of the evolution would be interesting, like the same riff played over the same model from way back when to now...

Yea that would be interesting...I'd think I'd find differences mostly in feel over the release range...the II has always sounded great but, for me, the magic happens when you're in the drivers seat and cranked up. I tune/tweak for feel as much as I do for tone, sometime moreso.

I only jumped on the Fractal train around FW 17, but man, what a ride it's been so far. Looking forward to further journeys, too.

I just looked up where the term “kudos” originates from. I learnt it’s actually old Greek. I studied Greek at school but I didn’t know. So internet slang and old Greek are related. This is a good day.

The term "kudos" has been in pretty regular use since long before the Internet was invented.

I just looked up where the term “kudos” originates from. I learnt it’s actually old Greek. I studied Greek at school but I didn’t know. So internet slang and old Greek are related. This is a good day.

The Finnish "kiitos" ("thank you") may be descended from the same root.

Last edited:
The advent of new firmware HAS made things much better, but I will argue that they've also made things easier. Fantastic tone was there from the beginning...you just had to dig more than you have to now.

Absolutely agree...successive releases have indeed made getting tones much, much easier.

In more ways then one...with the official release of v9 just a few minutes ago it is indeed a good day. I didn't know 'kudos' was a Greek word...the stuff I learn here...:cool:. As Yoda might say, "a knowledge fountain Yek is"....lol.

Last edited:

I've been hearing the term "Kudos" since elementary school, which was at least 43 years ago! Long before the Internet.

Back
Top Bottom