Cab packs

andyp13

Power User
Been looking at all the available cab packs for the Axe fx, is there really that much difference? I bought cab pack 10 but can't really hear much difference (if any) between them and the ones that came with the Axe?

Yeah, Cab Pack 10 isn’t one of my favorite Cab Packs. I bought it mainly for the Nuclear Tone Cab & the TX Star Cab.
Depending on what you are looking for, there are other Cab packs available that offer quite a bit of difference. However, what you will find within a given set of IR’s a lot of them will tend to sound similar in certain respects as you are dealing with the same Speaker & cabinet but within that mic & mic placement does make a huge difference & a lot of guys like ML, Ownhammer & Dr. Bonkers have mic mixes as well.

If your looking for something to go with the lone star and want to keep the original Mesa Black Shadow C90 Speakers, these are some pretty killer IR’s from Ownhammer. I have these & the Scholz Classic in this Cabinet as well. It’s a 4x12 but that’s no big deal. I really like these IR’s. You do have to convert them from .wav to .syx via Cab Lab, but that’s easy & quick. The pack is only $9.99 as well.

https://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=176&products_id=392

Is that just with the Ownhammer .wav’s (or obviously other .wav’s that are made properly for Fractal’s .syx’s needs) or would it also do a 96k as well?
Cool, I didn’t know that. That skips an entire step!

Is that just with the Ownhammer .wav’s (or obviously other .wav’s that are made properly for Fractal’s .syx’s needs) or would it also do a 96k as well?
Cool, I didn’t know that. That skips an entire step!
I've never tried it with anything other that 48K.

I've never tried it with anything other that 48K.
Well, to be honest, my question was more out of curiosity than necessity, I pretty sure everything I’ve encountered has provided the proper sampling/bit rate & length for Fractal along with the other rates for other formats as well.

So anyway, Andy, I went back to your patch & the one that I had tweaked just to see, the difference & tried a few of the Ownhammer cabs from that cab pack I gave you the link to, they all sounded fantastic.
If you are looking for some variety and want something to get a good feel for what a bunch of different speakers sound like that are easy to work with that also have pre-made mixes I’d suggest ML Zilla.
Another one you might want to try is Dr. Bonkers Dirty Shirley Cab. It’s only one Cab but it’s dirt cheap, (too cheap Imo for how great it is) and the way he sets up the IR’s is cool. He does each mic & does an IR of the Cap, Edge & Cone. So you can use a Stereo Pan it up the middle & use the Cap & Edge or Cap & Cone to get a nice mix of the speaker. And he has pre made mixes as well.
Those are both versatile Cab Packs, (Obviously the ML Zilla being moreso due to the more speaker types.)

For what genres of music?
I tend to find 1x12's boxy sounding for hard rock or metal.
Definitely for hard rock, this is an exceptional cab pack.
Cause of the way he shoots the IR’s (Cap, Cone, & Edge) you mix the Cap & Edge together (that’s what I like to do) and it’s beautiful, no boxiness with that Cap in there. It’s perfect.

Definitely for hard rock, this is an exceptional cab pack.
Cause of the way he shoots the IR’s (Cap, Cone, & Edge) you mix the Cap & Edge together (that’s what I like to do) and it’s beautiful, no boxiness with that Cap in there. It’s perfect.

I have thought the same thing before trying it .
Thanks for info, guys. I'll have to give this pack a second look. :)

Thanks for info, guys. I'll have to give this pack a second look. :)
I highly recommend getting the combo pack if for nothing else than some of the drive blocks and effects blocks I provide for the AF2 and Ax-8. I know you like the WAV files, but you are missing out on some cool stuff when you don't get the combo packs and it's the same price.

People really like those as well as the ir files.

Back
Top Bottom