A bunch of stupid questions from a beginner

Mij

I have yet to buy the AX8. So, I'm learning how to use it from the pdf manual.

I understand that a preset is like a rig, with its own amp (from the "amp" block) reverb (from the "reverb" block), cab (from the "cab" block), etc.. up to a maximum of 8 (not too sure about that maximum yet). Anyway...

So, if I get the picture right, on Bank 1, I have 8 presets (that I have to fill myself (?) since they're "users").
(If there's factory presets, you can write over it it seems. If you want them back, can it be done ?)

Each Footswitch turn on the Preset with the same number.
Let' say, Preset 1 is a Fender Amp, a chorus, a drive, a trem, a 4x12 cab
Preset 2 is a Mesa, with a drive, a wah, a trem, a 2x12 cab
etc....

What I don't get is... since a preset is a whole in itself, suppose I want to bypass the trem in preset 1 and keep the rest active, how can I do it ? I certainly can't step on footswitch 1 cause I used it to select preset 1 as a whole.

Maybe it's the "scene" that does it ? Am I on the right path here ?
If so... would up to 8 scenes be assigned to Preset 1, up to 8 scenes assigned to Preset 2, etc... ?

I'm a french speaking guy. Try to be not too scientist for your answer.
BTW, I greatly appreciate the AX8 community.
Thanks

You first step on F1 choose a preset then when the preset is selected the buttons are then assigned to a number of functions such as effect on or off, scene select, x/y toggle and others.
Your only limit to the number of effects you can assign is DSP usage which optimally should not exceed 89% or so. This can be effected by many variables. Hope this helped.

Yes. Scenes are the answer. 8 scenes per preset
And these scenes are related to footswich F2.
So, first, you select a bank and a preset. Then you select one of the 8 scènes that could be assigned to that preset.
OK, I guess I get it.

You first step on F1 choose a preset then when the preset is selected the buttons are then assigned to a number of functions such as effect on or off, scene select, x/y toggle and others.
Your only limit to the number of effects you can assign is DSP usage which optimally should not exceed 89% or so. This can be effected by many variables. Hope this helped.
When you say "buttons", which ones ? The Function footswitch ?

Read the section of the manual called "Changing Presets and Scenes." It's less than two pages long. What we're doing here is essentially retyping that section for you. :)

suppose I want to bypass the trem in preset 1 and keep the rest active, how can I do it ?
the 8 Footswitches have different "pages" or "modes" - in addition to setting them to be Trem, Delay, Preset 1, Scene 2, or anything else, there are "Function Modes" where those same 8 Footswitches all become Scenes 1 - 8, or they can all become Presets 1 - 8.

so a single switch can do different things depending on the specific Footswitch mode you have set. you can change these modes with the F-Switches on the right.

Thanks all. I'm not yet at the Scenes section of the manual and I'll read it along with the rest. I had too many questions on my mind that needed to be cleared when I read the preset section. I wanted to fully understand the "how" cause it bugged me.
Thanks again all.

Youtube is a good resource. I did a quick search for "AX8 operation" and this was the first video I found.

OP, you need to keep reading the manual... the foot switches can be setup in different ways and this will answer your questions. I use the bottom 4 switches to change scenes, the top 4 to turn FX on and off, and the F switches to move the presets up and down.

You can configure the foot switches to do whatever you want. They can work as you described to change presets or scenes, but they can also work as a stomp box in the sense that they can turn any effect on or off (for example a trem)...

I think that once you get an AX8, a lot of your questions will be answered. There is just no substitute for "hands on" experience. I think that reading the manual is a great idea to get a general understanding of how it works. That said, I think it will make a lot more sense once you have an AX8 to work with. I am confident that the AX8 will exceed all of your expectations, both in sound quality and operation. On top of that, FAS has great customer service.

I think you'll also find that all the YouTube videos and things that you heard to make you think about buying the AX8, will be that much better in person when you have it. I was very happily surprised when I got mine that it sounded even better than I would have expected from all the vids I watched.

Back
Top Bottom