How to bring out that throbbing...

BillyZeppa

Power User
So i'm always hearing that real throbbing sound from chords on records, on, i'm guessing Marshalls and Mesa's etc., and i'm wondering if you know what I mean and know how to bring it out in the AFX. It's almost chomping sound, or gnashing of teeth - very nasty, like there should be a cartoon of snarling monster (place own analogy here). It's always there in any amp turned up, I'm just wondering what it takes to bring that out. I'm thinking it must be in the sculpting of the mid frequencies... or something, because it's pretty easy to make it sound less nasty and end up washy or fizzy or muffled engine, rather than a 'funny car' engine. :)

Last edited:
Ok. Ya, guitar tone almost defies description.

I have nothing on tap but i'll definitely see if I can get a clip, but after thinking about it, I'm basically looking for the route to a great, well expressed growl in general terms.

Last edited:
Yeah, we'll pretty much need a clip to help you. I'm drawing a blank on what "that throbbing sound" means.

That title... :eek:

Wasn't sure what to expect when I opened this thread.

More on topic, are you referring to something which is time-variant (i.e. like tremolo), or is it a tonal quality that you're after (i.e. frequency related)?

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom