Getting Rid of Cabinets, Need advice on FRFR

joe1871

Inspired
hey y'all

I want to get rid of my standard Rectifier 2x12 cabs and take advantage of an FRFR speaker or two. I am wondering which FRFR I should look at? Is it the wrong approach to think about a JBL EON or some other FRFR speaker that is principally a PA cab, or should I go with a Mission or Atomic cab? What are the pros and cons (outside of cost...) of each type?

Thanks in advance folks!

JB

Tough to say about using PA cabs since I’ve never attempted it but just played yet another gig with my Atomic CLR last night and I’m consistently blown away by the fabulous reproduction of the AxeFx sounds and loudly too. I chose the Atomic CLR based on overwhelming recommendations from this forum and have never regretted it.

hey y'all

I want to get rid of my standard Rectifier 2x12 cabs and take advantage of an FRFR speaker or two. I am wondering which FRFR I should look at? Is it the wrong approach to think about a JBL EON or some other FRFR speaker that is principally a PA cab, or should I go with a Mission or Atomic cab? What are the pros and cons (outside of cost...) of each type?

Thanks in advance folks!

JB

In theory, yes you could go with a JBL EON. FRFR is a PA speaker.
BUT...EONs are awful and will not give you a good impression as to how great FRFR can sound.
Atomic CLR is the same as a PA Speaker.

What's your budget? There are 'good' speakers for $350 (EV LiveX)....and amazing speakers for $750-1k.

Im in the process of converting one of my cabs to FRFR and it sounds amazing. Its an EVH 2x12 cab loaded with a Celestion TF1225 12" and an AFD1001 Eminence compression driver firing out of a Dayton Audio 10 " round flared horn. Crossover is an Eminence 3500hz unit. Cost less than $170 AU for parts. Sounds better than the two Matrix CFR12 cabs I have here by a LONG LONG shot.
The EVH is similar in size to a Mesa 2x12....could be a fun project. Passive of course but you could always add a plate amp to the rear.

hey y'all

Thanks in advance folks!

JB

I tried the EON's and took them back 2 hours later... out of the box they SUCKED but I didn't know about the "low cut" in the cab block so they may sound better if you tweak that. I ended up with the Friedman ASC-12 and I just ordered a YAMAHA DXR10 to compare.

The only ones I think I may like better than what I have would be the ATOMIC CLR's

Good luck! ~ss

I use a qsc k12, in the far minority, but constantly get compliments on my sound, from audience members, other band members, and sound men, not that I give a shit, but it makes you feel good. Translates well, never had it die, or even burp. Loud as balls, and if I do a fly date, I can request it pretty easily. YMMV.

Lots of choices:

Friedman
XiTone
QSC
Matrix
?
?
?

It all comes down to price point and personal preference.

I have the Friedman ASM-12 and a XiTone.

Years ago I jumped into the FRFR pool and it was not as easy of a decision as I had expected. I think I thought all of the brands would be so similar that it would come down to just price, etc. but I was wrong.

For the record I have only tried an older Matrix cab (NL12) and an older Xitone wedge. I say that because I've heard Xitone have tweaked the options so it is even more FRFR-friendly and I know Matrix has more options now. It is great having so many FRFR options out there but becomes a curse because we all wonder what we are missing out on. :)

Years ago, I had planned on getting an Atomic CLR cab. Unfortunately they did not have any available at the time so I took a chance on the Friedman ASM-12, which was brand new at the time. I was one of the first guitarists to get one. I absolutely love it and it is perfect for what I do.

I think there are so many things you need to consider and think about. Everyone is different and play different types of music. Also, some people like more mids, less mids, or a light solution for gigs and others might not care at all. The Friedman ASM-12 is probably the heaviest option at 52 lbs but I love mine and doesn't bother me at all. With that said, I don't gig anymore.

I haven't heard a CLR but from what people say, what you put in is exactly what you get out. With the Friedman, it has that sound like you are listening to a guitar cab speaker. I can't explain it any easier or compare because I haven't played a CLR. There are some videos out there where people compare some of the other FRFR solutions and to my ear they are starting to sound similar to each other. That is a good thing I think.

The CLR is more expensive, the Friedman is heavier, the Matrix has so many options, Xitone is tweaking on the fly. I mean, there are even other options out there and I'm sure there are more coming. Ideally would be great if you could hear some in person. One last thing I'll mention is it depends on what type of music you play a bit too. For hard rock and metal, the Friedman sounds phenomenal and that is why I've had mine for awhile and have never wanted anything else. It does palm muting and the metal chug so well. I am sure that every other solution out there has better clean tones than the Friedman.

Good luck!!

The Atomic CLR is excellent. Also Xitone Michael Britt open back cab is great if you want the look/feel of a guitar combo amp

I own two "first version" Atomic CLRs (wedges).

I use these at home (instead of studio monitors) and as wedges on large stages.
I also use them when we need only a small PA, with a Behringer X32 Producer and EV sub, and we get many compliments about their sound in that setup.

I've been looking for another set of speakers to expand the PA: serve as monitors, or to bring more FOH power when needed.
The CLRs were not available for a long time, so I started looking at other brands, from Yamaha DXRs to high-end stuff which costs much more than the CLRs.

But I came to there conclusion that nothing beats the CLRs in their price range, and beyond that. They're so clear, flat and loud, and portable. They set the benchmark.

So when Andertons in the UK had CLRs in stock again, very recently, I immediately bought two and received them within days.
These are the Neo Mk.II version. Much lighter and also louder than the ones I already owned. Couldn't be happier with them.

If you need something cheaper, Yamaha DXR-10 or 12 are fine speakers for the money. Unbelievable loud and full-featured. Not as flat as a CLR, slightly nasally, but a good sound nevertheless. Better than the QSC K-series, IMHO.

Im in the process of converting one of my cabs to FRFR and it sounds amazing. Its an EVH 2x12 cab loaded with a Celestion TF1225 12" and an AFD1001 Eminence compression driver firing out of a Dayton Audio 10 " round flared horn. Crossover is an Eminence 3500hz unit. Cost less than $170 AU for parts. Sounds better than the two Matrix CFR12 cabs I have here by a LONG LONG shot.
The EVH is similar in size to a Mesa 2x12....could be a fun project. Passive of course but you could always add a plate amp to the rear.

Can you help me learn how you set this all up? This sounds like exactly what I want to do. The tf 1225s are what come in the matrix cabs right? Better than the beta 12cx?

Not sure but from memory its the speaker used in the Friedman asm12.
Dayton Audio 10 inch round horn.
Eminence ASD1001 compression driver.
50w LPad for the ASD
The crossover is an Eminence 3k5 unit.
I made a baffle from 12mm ply to hold the horn. It screws into the four existing speaker mounting bolts inside the right side of the cab.
Cab is lined with an inch thick layer of medium density foam.
Compresison driver is wired out of phase.
With a small PeQ bump of 2.5db at 1200hz and the usual hi/low cut in the cab block ot sounds better than every other frfr cab ive put it up against. Come to think of it it out performed the same evh cab loaded with v30 g12h creamback combo too.

hey y'all

Thanks in advance folks!

JB
So what didja get..?

Back
Top Bottom