Fractal Audio AMP models: Wrecker Express (Trainwreck Express)

Yes, dual amp with X/Y.

Scene controllers are possible also, but dual amps are easier to setup, and I'm pretty sure no one notices when I switch.

At higher gain levels (> 5) the Express gets a little fuzzy. But I like that.

Hi,I'm searching about a good drive pedal in front of this amp to have more "high gain" without being to fuzzy.
I try the fet boost, but must i lower the drive input of the amp (actually between 4 and 5 ) . and which level of drive pedal must i put ?
I like this amp for crunch, dirty sound and the Rocket too (for the clean) , but i need a sound in my preset for more high gain rhythm.
Thank you in advance.

Hi,I'm searching about a good drive pedal in front of this amp to have more "high gain" without being to fuzzy.
I try the fet boost, but must i lower the drive input of the amp (actually between 4 and 5 ) . and which level of drive pedal must i put ?
I like this amp for crunch, dirty sound and the Rocket too (for the clean) , but i need a sound in my preset for more high gain rhythm.
Thank you in advance.

Try the Comet Concourse model instead, with or without a drive pedal. It is close to the Express tonally but it's tighter.

Try the Comet Concourse model instead, with or without a drive pedal. It is close to the Express tonally but it's tighter.
Hi Jollo,You know what ?
It was exactly what i'm searching for the sound !
I think without your advice, i will never try this amp.
I think that i found the graal for me. Trainwerck rocket for crystal clean and Comet Concourse for dirty to high gain.I'm so happy ! ;)
thank you again !!!!!!

Hi Jollo,You know what ?
It was exactly what i'm searching for the sound !
I think without your advice, i will never try this amp.
I think that i found the graal for me. Trainwerck rocket for crystal clean and Comet Concourse for dirty to high gain.I'm so happy ! ;)
thank you again !!!!!!

I'm very glad you like it. :) The Comet Concourse and the Trainwreck Express are two of my favorite amps lately. I love the touch sensitivity of both of them. Any of the amps designed by Ken Fischer are really great.

Wow, Komets and Trainwrecks at the tap of a footswitch - Amazing! The possibilities are endless with the Fractal and I'm gonna try this combination tonight.

Carry on ... :cool:

Just found this thread, and tried the setup - sounds fantastic! Thanks.
The Fractal Wrecker (FAS Wreck) Amp is also a tremendous sounding Amp as well. I’ve been playing that quite a bit myself lately. Throw the FET Boost or FET Preamp in front of any of those amps. Also just a simple Filter Block with about +8dB boost on the level & set your low cut to kill some mud in the low end before the Amp works wonders as well for extra push. These amps can tend to loose a bit of definition in the low end especially with the neck p/u if ya don’t low cut the signal before the Amp & try an up the gain. Although I will say that one of my guitars with a SD lil 59 in the neck is pretty bass heavy to begin with, so I may be overstating this a bit ymmv.

Last edited:

That tone is great. It seems like the mid frequencies are accentuated. If he is not using external EQ, do you think that it may be the CAB? What CAB could it be?

I have tried the White AX97 from Valhallir (1960AX 1997 with G12M25 Greenbacks) and a EQ block with +3dB at 800 Hz. It is great, but still missing some "organic vibe" at the mid frequencies when comparing with that recording

That tone is great. It seems like the mid frequencies are accentuated. If he is not using external EQ, do you think that it may be the CAB? What CAB could it be?

I have tried the White AX97 from Valhallir (1960AX 1997 with G12M25 Greenbacks) and a EQ block with +3dB at 800 Hz. It is great, but still missing some "organic vibe" at the mid frequencies when comparing with that recording
Perhaps a G12-65 or EV-12L might get ya where ya wanna be.

Perhaps a G12-65 or EV-12L might get ya where ya wanna be.

Got it!

CAB: #105 RUMBLE EV12L RNR1
Preamp: Exciter, High Quality, Mid +2dB, Treble -1dB, Drive 3, Saturation 5
Room 50%, Air 25%
AMP: Wrecker Express
Input Drive 7, Bass4, Mid 5, Treb 5, HiTreb -4, Presence 3.5

Not an exact match, but very melodic, and a pleasure to play. The minimum differences may be caused from my pickups (I am using a JS2450 with DiMarzio Satch Track)

Got it!

CAB: #105 RUMBLE EV12L RNR1
Preamp: Exciter, High Quality, Mid +2dB, Treble -1dB, Drive 3, Saturation 5
Room 50%, Air 25%
AMP: Wrecker Express
Input Drive 7, Bass4, Mid 5, Treb 5, HiTreb -4, Presence 3.5

Not an exact match, but very melodic, and a pleasure to play. The minimum differences may be caused from my pickups (I am using a JS2450 with DiMarzio Satch Track)
What’s “HiTreb?” The Bright? I assume it must be causebits the only one that goes negative value.
Another speaker you could try, one that I like a lot is the Scholz Sugar Cone. It’s used in the Stock Triptik Cab & the OBOT cab pack, & Ownhammer has it available in a Mesa 4x12 pack as a single purchase or part of a pack with other speakers including some nice Black Shadow C90 ir’s. And I believe Dr. Bonkers Friedman Dirty Shirley cab pack, (which is absolutely killer btw for so much & so cheap) is a G12-65. The cool thing he does is give you 3 Ir’s with each mic; The Cap, Edge, & Cone. So you can mix them how you want in Cab Lab & it’s a beautiful thing. Usually just the Cap & Edge is a great mix.. I use the M160 mix I made of his in a Ton of stuff. Sometimes the EV12L can be a touch thick imo, but I have 2 Seymour lil 59’s & a JBjr in my Severn, so it’s a pretty thick sounding guitar from the get-go.

Thank you for the advice on CABs. I am going to try them.

"High Treble" is from the Axe-FX III. Sorry, I forgot if its named the same at the Axe-FX II

Thank you for the advice on CABs. I am going to try them.

"High Treble" is from the Axe-FX III. Sorry, I forgot if its named the same at the Axe-FX II

Ahhh, cool, yeah I’m a little behind the curve still on the III. I had just bought a Knaggs Severn T1 two weeks prior to the announcement of the III. Being a married man, requires compromise, so the III is now officially on the list, the seed has been planted, lol. I’ll tell ya though, just for the Cab capability’s on it make it worth it alone. That’s going to be such a welcome function. Looking forward to the power, it’ll certainly make things a lot quicker, easier & a lot more effective.

Hey, I was just messin’ around today & I copied my Wrecker patch to a new slot so I could experiment with some stuff, and I decided to try the Ruby Rocket. The non Bright one, the regular one. I never had much luck with this amp, but hadn’t tried it in many FW’s. Give it a try.. turn the Fat switch On. It’s not like Normal Fat switches, it works well for this amp. I won’t tell ya how to dial it in, that’s all subjective, but just to give it a try, it’s very similar to the Express, just a little bit different in a nice way.

Back
Top Bottom