Using guitar amps for bass (Ultra)

MSP

Hey everyone. Im using the Axefx Ultra (which I adore) for guitar mostly, but sometimes I play bass also. I was trying to get some gritty tones that I dig, and the SVT just doesnt do it for me. Its fine for cleaner stuff, but I dont dig its grit. I have been experimenting with using some of the guitar amps for bass, but what Im wondering is there any of the options on the Amp Geek or Advanced tabs that I should be modifying for bass use? Im not really all that familiar with what most of them do, and just end up lowering the low cut.

Any advice on those tabs, or how to get great bass tone otherwise out of the Ultra?

Thanks!

Hey everyone. Im using the Axefx Ultra (which I adore) for guitar mostly, but sometimes I play bass also. I was trying to get some gritty tones that I dig, and the SVT just doesnt do it for me. Its fine for cleaner stuff, but I dont dig its grit. I have been experimenting with using some of the guitar amps for bass, but what Im wondering is there any of the options on the Amp Geek or Advanced tabs that I should be modifying for bass use? Im not really all that familiar with what most of them do, and just end up lowering the low cut.

Any advice on those tabs, or how to get great bass tone otherwise out of the Ultra?

Thanks!
If you have access to Axe--o-matic (AOM), you can convert some of the bass cabs I offer to the Ultra format here:
www.drbonkerssoundlab.com

That may help you a bit.

Reactions: MSP
Hmmm... Just poking around with settings a bit more. If Im on the Amp Geek tab, would it be logical to copy some or all of the settings on here from the SVT sim to the Amp Geek page for guitar sims if Im using them for bass? Im thinking of at least the Tone Freq setting at least?

Hmmm... Just poking around with settings a bit more. If Im on the Amp Geek tab, would it be logical to copy some or all of the settings on here from the SVT sim to the Amp Geek page for guitar sims if Im using them for bass? Im thinking of at least the Tone Freq setting at least?
That's a starting point, but truly listen to what sounds good with your bass, pickups, and playing style. You may find cool things that work for you outside of the typical bass amp realm. Remember a Marshall Sperbass is just a Super Lead with a few components changed. That is true when you look into the guts of quite a few bass amps versus guitar amps.

Back
Top Bottom