Commercial U2 preset packs

I didn't see it before, but the change of input 1 have NO impact on the setting on the axe FX itself.
I have sum L+R when I load the preset in Axe edit ( Left only in the Axe FX input config), but if I change that; input 1 remains at Left only in the Axe itself (or any setting there).
Change of input 1 in Axe edit have in my opinion no effect at all on the sound !!!!
It seems that only the change with the Axe panel itself have the awaited impact on the sound.

Is it normal or am I crazy :D. it is very Strange. Bug with Axe edit ??
How are you changing that in Axe-Edit?

Well, there is a possibility to change input on the basic page of the amp block in axe edit, on the right of the page, under level. => input select

Level / Balance
Input select
Bypass mode

I have quantum 8.0 and axe edit 3.14.2
Am i wrong ?
I took a picture , but is it really nessecary to post it (and how ??)

Last edited:
My deep feeling since I bought the Axe-FX and read threads on the FAS forum is that AXE-FX is some kind of beta gear with perpetual firmware updates and lots of "uncertainties".
It's certainly due to its great complexity. Some will say it's improving all the time, others will say it's not yet "finished". I think we're in between.
All these facts make the beast and its associated softwares very difficult to master... That's my humble opinion.

Wait, the input status on the amp block has nothing to do with the I/O settings! It's a different thing for different purposes, say, if you're using 2 amp blocks and you want to send half the signal to 1 and the other half to 2, in that scenario you would have the same gain as if you were sending L+R to 1 amp block only. But @Moke's tip is one to consider and experiment with

Well, I PM a D.I. to Edo. Hope he'll have time to check it with his AXE-FX settings and presets.
There will be a U2GT meeting, I think it would be interesting to compare how different guitars of the same model can influence the tone of a preset and to compare how we deal with connections, settings...
Would be nice that Edo should come with us !

Hi Edo, I’m having an issue with a few of the presets with the CPU usage registering at 96%. Eg Bad and One. This produces crackling when played. Is there any way to eliminate this without degrading the sound? I have a MkII

Hi Edo, I’m having an issue with a few of the presets with the CPU usage registering at 96%. Eg Bad and One. This produces crackling when played. Is there any way to eliminate this without degrading the sound? I have a MkII
Hi ,
If your axe is connected to your computer by USB cable for Axe edit , unplugg the cable and your problem will disappear ,
Fafa

Thanks for your answer Edo.
I don't understand exactly what you say, but it is not dramatic. I must think about it !
I know that I/O setting (Axe FX II) and Input Status (Axe Edit) is something different, and at the moment it is enough for me.
(All things that I say or have tried is just to try to simulate the problem of Zolaive by myself in order to help him, and nothing else ; I have personally so far no problem with your presets)

But now, i must say that between I/O setting in Axe FX II and Input status in Axe Edit, both with the choice (left/right/sum L+R, .), there is a nice opportunity for confusion for people like me :D

Poll: How many owner of the Axe FX II really know the difference between I/O setting in Axe FX and Input status in Axe Edit ?
(just for fun :p)

Thanks for your answer Edo.
I don't understand exactly what you say, but it is not dramatic. I must think about it !
I know that I/O setting (Axe FX II) and Input Status (Axe Edit) is something different, and at the moment it is enough for me.
(All things that I say or have tried is just to try to simulate the problem of Zolaive by myself in order to help him, and nothing else ; I have personally so far no problem with your presets)

But now, i must say that between I/O setting in Axe FX II and Input status in Axe Edit, both with the choice (left/right/sum L+R, .), there is a nice opportunity for confusion for people like me :D

Poll: How many owner of the Axe FX II really know the difference between I/O setting in Axe FX and Input status in Axe Edit ?
(just for fun :p)

Let's put it this way: input status on the I/O page sets the configuration between the axe fx and the gear it's connected to (and its global). Input status in axe edit sets the configuration within the fx chain of a given preset (and its per preset)

As Fafa said, this is a problem that you get on some of the presets if you are connected with USB to PC. That uses a bit of DSP, so when Edo has put a lot of DSP heavy stuff in there (shimmer, two amps, reverbs, delays), you get over the limit.

What I do is to look for a way to get below 90 when the USB is connected (I always have an USB connected to PC). The first thing I do is to go into the CAB block and choose Normal Resolution. Sometimes I have to change all Cab IRs to Normal Res, and sometimes it's enough to change one of them

As Fafa said, this is a problem that you get on some of the presets if you are connected with USB to PC. That uses a bit of DSP, so when Edo has put a lot of DSP heavy stuff in there (shimmer, two amps, reverbs, delays), you get over the limit.

What I do is to look for a way to get below 90 when the USB is connected (I always have an USB connected to PC). The first thing I do is to go into the CAB block and choose Normal Resolution. Sometimes I have to change all Cab IRs to Normal Res, and sometimes it's enough to change one of them

Another way to get away with this is: some presets like bad use 2 delay blocks on X because this way scene change is faster than changing from X to Y. However, if you have CPU problems, you can just just copy delay 2 X to delay 1 Y, and save the status for the different scenes and delete delay 2. This will save enough CPU to be able o play while connected via USB. For One you can do the same with amp 2 (copy and paste to amp 1 Y). The problem persists with beautiful Day as it uses both amps at the same time and I'm pretty sure there's 1 delay block only. I'll see if I can find a fix and will add it in an update

In Left Only mode, the Axe is expecting just one input signal, so it leaves your input level as is.

In L&R Sum mode, it's expecting two signals to be added together, so it cuts each signal in half to maintain the input level.

Is that a known fact? it cuts the input in half?

Is that a known fact? it cuts the input in half?
Yes. I use SUM L+R mode so I can plug one guitar in front and wireless in back at the same time. I have to increase Global Amp Gain by 6 dB to keep my presets sounding right (which totally works, by the way :)).

Yes. I use SUM L+R mode so I can plug one guitar in front and wireless in back at the same time. I have to increase Global Amp Gain by 6 dB to keep my presets sounding right (which totally works, by the way :)).
Always something new with this box :) I need to try this I hadn't worked out that it was possible to use the front and rear inputs to get two guitars into the axe. Doh!

OK I want to share some thoughts on this topic but before I do, here are a few caveats :)

1) I'm certainly no professional on how to set up the axe fx
2) Anyone who knows me from the U2GT forum will remember I have a tendency to prefer 'a bit of grit' in my U2 tones :)
3) Don't you just love how U2 geeks obsess over the tiny things ;)

Anyways. So a few weeks ago, Two good friends (both of whom are excellent guitarists and far more expert than me) spent a day comparing tones. I was using Edo's presets and my friend had his axe fx loaded with his presets (I should explain that he plays in a fantastic U2 tribute from the UK) My summary was this.

For the cleaner tones that Olivier is referring to, there was no doubt that in the room on the day my friend's tones were cleaner, chimier and more 'classic U2' than Edo's presets were in my setup. And I think we three agreed they were 'better' (whatever that means)

That said, I think what we were comparing to in making this assessment was more the studio version or some 'idealised' version of these clean type tones.

Based on the last three tours that I've been to, I don't really hear the edge playing this very clean chimey tone (however beautiful it is.) IMHO Edo's tones are more like the live versions, certainly from the more recent tours that I have been to. They are a bit more gritty.

Not sure if this adds anything to the discussion other than the possibility that at the end of the day Its largely down to personal taste. I am really enjoying playing with Edo's presets. Out of the box they sound great to me.

As for the more exotic tones, then I just take my hat off to Edo. The wilder and more overdriven or effects laden tones are just stunning. In the I&e pack, the low e note in the outro of 'until the end of the world pack' is worth the purchase price alone :)

Hi Tim !
How are you my friend ?
Well, I also prefer Edge live tones. For example, I love the BAD tone he played in Rome during the Joshua Tree Tour 2017 with lots of grit and some fat but still tight lows.
But really, the tone I get with Edo's presets is so dirty... to me, it cannot be compared to those gritty live tones Edge gets...
Did you listen to the sample I uploaded on the U2GT forum with the sound I get from Edo's preset with input 1 set to Left Only ? ? Don't you hear the excess of lows and this kind of dirty sound I get ?
BTW, whether we like gritty live tones or cleaner studio tones, it's a fact (at least, for my ears), that Edo's samples sound way better that what I get with his presets loaded in my Axe-FX...
Is my Axe-FX different from yours ? Does it have some buggs ? Or does it come from my strat as Edo's suspecting it ?
I sent a DI to Edo and I hope he'll have some idea to what's happening with my tones ?
Also, looking foward to go to the next U2GT meeting to compare our Axe-FX racks and our guitars..
Cheers
Olivier
PS : Tim could you send me a DI of you playing one of the "clean" early songs with you Fender Strat ?

After this discussion, I spent the last 2 days tweaking my core amp tone dialing less bass (I use the graphic eq in the amp block) and was somewhat satisfied with the result at home, through studio monitors at bedroom level. However, tonight I played a gig, and as soon as the volume was "gig level" the tone was extremely thin and ice pickey (even with a les Paul, I never though it could be possible). Bottom line, during soundcheck I had to readjust the amp to where it was, and there I had my balls back. I guess the thing is that when you cut / boost at bedroom levels, those cuts / boost are much more noticeable at gig level. Maybe the eq changes I made in the amp block were too subtle at bedroom level yet too dramatic at gig level.. will continue to experiment in the next couple days (and I'll check @ZOLAIVE 's di track and see what's up

The guitar makes such a big difference in how hard you drive the amp. There's no way to build a preset that nails it for everyone's guitar. If they all seem dirtier than you'd like, pull down Input Trim until they fall in line.

Back
Top Bottom