Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.00 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
What’s the difference between the triple rect. and dual rect. models already available in the axe?
I’m pretty sure the Dual & Triple have the exact same Preamp Section, the only difference between the two amps would be an extra 50w of power in the Triple Rec and a different Output Transformer. So basically more clean headroom and having to push the amp to even more ungodly volume levels before you reached any kind of power amp breakup lol.

Perhaps just an Output Transformer tweak & dialing up the headroom a bit is all that is needed to model the Triple Rec...? Not sure exactly what the numbers would be or what the specific parameters in the Power Amp section are either.. perhaps Cliff could shed a little light..

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure the Dual & Triple have the exact same Preamp Section, the only difference between the two amps would be an extra 50w of power in the Triple Rec and a different Output Transformer. So basically more clean headroom and having to push the amp to even more ungodly volume levels before you reached any kind of power amp breakup lol.

Perhaps just an Output Transformer tweak & dialing up the headroom a bit is all that is needed to model the Triple Rec...? Not sure exactly what the numbers would be or what the specific parameters in the Power Amp section are either.. perhaps Cliff could shed a little light..

That is my understanding on the Triple Rect. as well. I’ve played Triple and a Dual and was always happy with the tones I was able to get out of either. Same with the Axe’s Recto’s as well. I mean, I never found myself “Man, if only I have the Triple instead of this Dual.....”

I've been playing v9 beta on the rack for the last couple of weeks and had a rehearsal last Thursday where I used my AX8/v8.02. One thing that immediately struck me was how spongy and compressed v8.02 feels vs v9, which seems to have more bark and dynamic punch for sure.

That is my understanding on the Triple Rect. as well. I’ve played Triple and a Dual and was always happy with the tones I was able to get out of either. Same with the Axe’s Recto’s as well. I mean, I never found myself “Man, if only I have the Triple instead of this Dual.....”

Triple Rectos just sound better overall for metal. Especially for low tuned metal. The lows thump more dynamically, sound clearer, and I swear there is less lower mids, because the whole sound is clearer.

You can get closer with the Axe with a small notch filter around 400hz, and some adding lows by adding a low shelf below 200hz....

but....

It's still not the same.....

Just turn the master volume down and turn the block output up. Unlike the real amp, they are completely independent of each other in the Axe II. Gives you the same dynamic headroom and clarity the extra 50 watts of output power from the Triple Recto. The power section on those amps is pretty much completely clean. That's the case with just about any modern channel switching amp that has a totally clean channel available at the same volume. If the power section were being overdriven, the clean channel would then be dirty too.

Trying SO hard to wait for the final release but the clips I’m hearing are just SO DAMNED GOOD.

Perhaps there will be another beta.....

Trying SO hard to wait for the final release but the clips I’m hearing are just SO DAMNED GOOD.

Perhaps there will be another beta.....

There's a polish to this that IMO has not existed in many other Beta's. It's worth a try. Of course you'll have to tweak for the new stuff.

Gratitudes to Cliff & Fractal for all his work on #9. I've crossed my #1 hurdle! I just managed to dial in a strat tone on my BC Rich Bich with Humbuckers - something that's eluded me for years - because all the realism is very inspiring.

For some reason I never could get an accurate idea of the tonal differences of the various settings. I was overcompensating on the dials, defensively trying to avoid unwanted sound rather than being able to nudge delicately closer.

Now that the various compressions and interactions are interacting with such warmth and so organically (and because the harshness is all gone now) - as should be the case with the real deal with proper speakers and careful electronics work, I finally managed to drive the gain delicately enough within the various stages, and EQ it based on response.

But such a responsive little program.

The delicate sound of virtual thunder.

Its such a great feeling to gain access to both a Hendrix and a Gilmour flavor without yet affording a Danocaster or the equivalent.

Last edited:
How do amps that work well with high MV feel in this beta? Thinking of Citrus RV50, Triptik Mdrn, Hook 1+2A, Hipower Jumped and ODS Clean to name a few.

How do amps that work well with high MV feel in this beta? Thinking of Citrus RV50, Triptik Mdrn, Hook 1+2A, Hipower Jumped and ODS Clean to name a few.
Feel is improved across the board. As always, the sweet spot on the MV is where it feels best.

It's the sound of people actually playing through the new beta and can't stop long enough to give an update. My feedback is that it's better than 8.02 (which I was silently not real happy with). I feel the attack of the pick is a little less obtrusive for me when using the motor drive option. The hard pick attack has always been an issue with me but was much worse on 8.02. Something changed in the distortion quality as well (as far as I can tell, but I might be imagining things again). Anyway, very happy to see the direction that this is going. Thanks for your relentless efforts Cliff and team!

I was referring to the post before mine that said crickets and pin drop. This is the lull time in between beta and official release. The storm will be when it drops and everyone is posting pages of comments. Good, bad or ugly comments sometimes. I'm sure they will be good comments because I'm loving the beta!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom