700+ Naked Amps TonePack by AustinBuddy Available NOW!

Here's a short video of Austin rock guitarist Lance Keltner checking out 10 of the presets from the "Modern Amps" bank in the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack collection. Enjoy!

And here's another short video of Lance playing amps from the Vintage & Boutique amp bank, as promised. How says a Fractal can't sound like a vintage amp? I don't!

Last edited:
After being blown away with the Hendrix tone video you posted I decided to buy these. No regrets. These presets with the AxeLive app is the closest from physically owning all the 200 amps inside the Axe FX. And much better. I really enjoy the design and the different settings in two-three scenes.

If you've designed any real life amps inside the Axe FX without the exact models being there, I'd love to have them in these presets. I really enjoyed the Steel String Singer and Dual Showman presets!

Absolutely stellar job @austinbuddy :)

After being blown away with the Hendrix tone video you posted I decided to buy these. No regrets. These presets with the AxeLive app is the closest from physically owning all the 200 amps inside the Axe FX. And much better. I really enjoy the design and the different settings in two-three scenes.

If you've designed any real life amps inside the Axe FX without the exact models being there, I'd love to have them in these presets. I really enjoyed the Steel String Singer and Dual Showman presets!

Absolutely stellar job @austinbuddy :)

Thank you aens! I do have a few real life amps/mods like the Dual Showman (you really paid attention!) and Steel String Singer. I suspect those will be for another cool TonePack project down the road. This TonePack was really designed to cover the amp models native to the Axe-Fx/AX8. The Classic Rock & Bues bonus preset part was purely an afterthought, but fun to do.

But because of Cliff Chase's genius, you certainly design/create amp presets where the amp model is not native to the Fractal. We can swap out tonestacks, experiment.... ever heard a Tweed Deluxe through a 4x12 with good greenbacks? Wow. And a Dual Showman is basically a Twin Reverb DNA-wise, but with 15" speakers -- just ask Chuck Berry....;)... Lots of possibilities!

@austinbuddy Forgive me if this is an dumb question, but what are the FX loop blocks in all of the presets for? Are they for the guys who are using power amp/cab setups vs FRFR?

Yes, that is exactly right. I got the idea from yek and wanted to avoid the headache of those users having to add it in to 400+ presets. I was hoping too that FracTool would be able turn on or off the FX Loop in one big batch /pass for those who did not like this config, but unfortunately FracTool can't (yet), although I alerted the developer about the need.

Awesome! I don't notice any difference whether it is on or off as I am running FRFR, but I was just curious. Good idea, too! We're fortunate to have guys like you and Yek and some of the other forum veterans around here. :)

I purchased the 700+ Naked Amp collection for the AxeFX II Mark 1. When I unzip the file, there are no files there just one directory _MACOSX. I am running Windows 7 and tried on three different PC's. I didn't see an option on checkout for MAC or Windows, but may have missed it. Anyone else have a problem? Am I doing something wrong?

I purchased the 700+ Naked Amp collection for the AxeFX II Mark 1. When I unzip the file, there are no files there just one directory _MACOSX. I am running Windows 7 and tried on three different PC's. I didn't see an option on checkout for MAC or Windows, but may have missed it. Anyone else have a problem? Am I doing something wrong?

You are on Windows, and a different unzip utility will reveal all the files. Try a RAR unzip instead. It's a known issue, the zip files were created on a Mac, and some windows unzip utilities will not "see" the files -- but they ARE there. You can PM me if need be.

Thanks, that was it. Windows default unzip does not work. I used Winzip. Look like I know what I will be doing tonight.
You're gonna like these. I've never seen so many presets work so well right out of the box.

I wonder if there's a way to tell Mac zip utility to make a zip file that's compatible with Windows native.

This is totally worth every penny. I think the biggest challenge you will find after buying this is picking a favorite! This really makes my guitars come alive.

Just curious - now that Quantum 9 is in the works, what is the plan for updating these presets? Will Austinbuddy provide updates to those of us who have purchased? Or provide guidance on how to take advantage of new speaker comp? Or are we on our own? Not a problem in any case, it would just be nice to know what the plan is.

Just curious - now that Quantum 9 is in the works, what is the plan for updating these presets? Will Austinbuddy provide updates to those of us who have purchased? Or provide guidance on how to take advantage of new speaker comp? Or are we on our own? Not a problem in any case, it would just be nice to know what the plan is.
cmon @austinbuddy , hordes of anxious guitarists await your sage words............

Howdy:

All legit questions/issues. Need several things to happen in real world before can address whether there will be a Tonepack update for Q9.

PREREQUISITES

1) Cliff releases a FINAL (non beta) Q9 version. Makes no sense to do anything until that happens, because it can all change before final.

AND

2) a updated FWQ9 compatible Axe-Edit and AX8-Edit are released, because that's how I work. I can't do this all from front panel. That software update usually happens pretty quickly, thanks to rock stars at Fractal like Michael Pickens.

PLUS

3) a FracTool compatible FWQ9 version is released (mainly because I don't own a Mark II). Need this to be able to convert presets built on XL to Mark II. Plus, if I need to set any parameters universally or re-set them, FracTool is essential to do batch processing. No control over the timing of this one.

THEN

4) If I install and determine FQ9 final DOES make significant tonal difference where amp resets and tweaking is required due to Cliff's speaker amp block changes, then understand that to go through all 700 tones, for three units, will take a few weeks after steps 1-3 above happen.

As of this moment, from what I can tell , there are no new amps (which will not FIT into existing banks anyway - no space!) or corrections made to specific amp models. So that's helpful for overall update purposes and eases my mind some on net effect on tone.

If it was just a question of changing a few amps, I could provide "how-to" instructions in an email update and on forum pretty easy.

Since don't know how the new speaker compression parameter will affect the existing tones from Q8.02 yet (and won't until the above steps 1 &2 happen), I probably won't load it myself. Note I did not use a lot of the Q. 8.02 speaker drive parameter in the Naked Amps, if any.

What I noted most is in FQ8.02 is, the more speaker you use, it lowers the overall preset volume LEVEL, thus that has to be bumped up some to compensate. FracTool can do a LEVEL change for an Axe-Fx XL, XL+ or Mark II, but NOT for an AX8 unfortunately -- that all has to be done manually by each preset and scene 1/2,so 700 times...

The biggest issue comes with presets like Mesa-Boogies and some Fenders and Marshalls where re-setting the amp block, even though it preserves drive, B/M/T and Level, resets some key things like presence, depth, brite switch, and for Mesa's GEQs and Fat Boost etc. I'll likely have to make a Looooong list of those on/off in existing stuff for presets, and go back through it all to make sure each preset preserves that in an update.

PROBABLE COURSE
If things need to change to preserves the TonePack's sounds as they were generally in Q8, then more than likely I would email all customers who bought the TonePack and let them download a new update of it, if they so chose. And sell that updated version to new customers moving forward. Not everyone registered an account when they checked out; so, that may be necessary for existing customers to gave each proper download permissions for new version.

Finally -- If, based on all the above, I do determine I must produce a new version, then I'd say no additional charge to existing customers for any new Q9 TonePack version. Do note, can't commit further beyond that update, because it really is a each-firmware-update-dependent thing to assess.

Last edited:
@austinbuddy more than a generous attitude.

I personally feel like a small surcharge to cover your time appropriate in regards to firmware updated presets. Time is money :)

Barhrecords: truly appreciate that, and maybe in the future (Q10/11/12?) editions I wouId need to do something like that/leaving door open. Remember, I really was motivated to do this in part as a service to the Fractal community. We all really deserve to hear each of the 259 modeled amps in a glorious state.

Right now I'm unemployed, so that means I have time/bandwidth to do it (along with job search) -- this year has a been welcome sabbatical from my past line-of-work, and gave me full-time ability to focus and produce this right, design a website, producing tutorial videos, etc.

Not sure if I will have that bandwidth in 2018 as may be back to full-time employment then, but nothing I'd love more than to be doing this full-time regularly to help all Fractal users/community, if could make that model sustainable.

Let's see what happens first with final FWQ9 and effects on tones compared to existing TonePack, but for now from user point of view, seems only fair to have someone who bought a Tonepack since mid-July and wants to upgrade to Q9 still be able to use it.

Do have to say, FW Q8.02 is the best firmware I've ever used by Fractal since it's inception -- and if I never changed from it from here out I could be very happy!!! But we know Cliff will always try to make it better, and we are lucky for his utter dedication to uncompromising quality!

Today I learned a well-known user of Fractal gear is planning to shoot a video reviewing the TonePack, excited about it! Can't say who just yet -- but you will all know this person when time comes!

Thanks Austinbuddy, you’ve laid out a very reasonable plan and I appreciate your willingness to provide the Q9 updates to your existing customers. I’m certainly willing to wait.

The rate at which Cliff comes up with ideas and spits out updates, I can't conceive a way that you would be able to keep 700+ presets up to date. Sweet baby Jesus, Cliff might be on Quantum 12 by Christmas. Maybe a cheat sheet of some sort explaining to users what they have to do to update them would be the easiest. As far as going through them all, making adjustments and then offering a new download, I would certainly put a fee on that amount of work. You could also do both, offer the cheat sheet for users to adjust the presets themselves or for a fee download the updated pack.

This feedback is helpful. Like I said, it all depends -- do we have to reset the amp block 700 times, and do for three different Fractal unit versions = 2100? Could take a long time to do, we just have to see...I'll take it as it comes.

Just popped in rant about Axe firmware updates borking prior firmware presets. I've owned an Axe since firmware 4 on the original Standard. After 10 years, there has to be an easier, automated way to update presets, as well as preserve the sound of presets made in prior firmware. "So don't update." Unfortunately, firmware combines new amps, fx, and new features, but also removes features. With the don't update attitude, i'd still be on Original firmware 4 from 10 years ago. That is not a reasonable solution.

Austin - I'd donate some $$ for updates to your bundle.

Back
Top Bottom