Stock cabs ...

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
Some people complain about the stock cabs. I don't get that. It's a great and varied collection of IRs, covering all needs.

There seems to be a tendency towards more bright IRs. Maybe this explains the latest additions to the factory cabs (Quantum 7), in particular Celestion Plus IRs. I'll be honest: not my cup of tea, I find them a little harsh and thin. I select IRs with live monitoring in mind, instead of recording, so I prefer (low) mids.

Anyway, I'm currently testing stock cabs for personal use (type: Marshall, G12M, G12H etc.), and I came across a few that do not seem to get much attention and deserve mentioning IMHO.

027 — 2x12 FUZZBOMB M160 (Ultra-Res)
One of my favorites when it comes to raw (not refined) tones.
More info

127 — 4x12 LERXST R121 (Ultra-Res)
Many players may not be familiar with it, it's Alex Lifeson's brand of amps ands cabs. This cab is similar to a Marshall and sounds pretty amazing.
More info

Also, the Red Wirez IRs may not be Ultra-Res but they still rock. Like #034 — 4x12 BASKETWEAVE G12H30 (RW).

Descriptions of all stock cabs in the wiki

Last edited:
there are definitely usable stock cabs. Cliff has stated he prefers darker ir's and ribbon mics, neither is my preference so I much prefer 3rd party ir's. it's all about personal preference and how the user dials in their respective tones.

You're right. There are lots of great choices in the stock cabs. When I find what I want in the stock cabs (which is almost always), that's what I go with. There's less housekeeping involved.

in particular Celestion Plus IRs. I'll be honest: not my cup of tea, I find them a little harsh and thin.

Agreed. I was surprised how much I disliked the Celestion IR's. As mentioned above, Cliff included darker IR's by and large but these seem particularly thin and harsh by comparison.

I've gone the 3rd party IR route and have come back "home"...so to speak. Now my presets have stock cabs and it's working for me, for now. The key is mixing them! For high gain Marshally type sounds, mixing #36 with #43 is pure sex. Greenback warmth mixed with V30 cut. #103 is also an amazing IR.

I use 3rd party too but love a LOT of the stock cabs. Sometimes the stock cabs just sit in the right spot. Honestly if there were no 3rd party IR's I'd still be very, very happy with my AXE II

I love the bold upper midrange character of F115 1x12 Nuclear Tone Mix so much that I bought Cab Pack 10 just to gain access to its single mic IRs.

Human nature, if its included "free", it must not be as good.

Heck, I bet if you took all the stock caps, sold them in a "producer pack" for $49 or so, there would be a bunch of threads raving about how great they sound, how much variety, what an amazing value etc

Back
Top Bottom