Curious how everyone sets up

I an curious to see how everyone uses the fx8 foot switches and why? For example i have the main 1-8 switches set for the effects or relay and do have each effect as an x or y. Then I have F1 as tap for sticky scene and hold for preset, then F2 just true bypass,(I don't want to accidentally trigger the looper) and F3 as default - taptempo/ tuner.
The reason I ask is that I notice when downloading preset exchange a fair few use the top row of footswitches as on off for effects and the bottom four for presets changes or scene changes. Just curious as to what everyone finds easier to see what I may be missing out on.

I would change preset then activate sticky scene and then I usually have each preset for 2 songs so scenes 1-4 map the parts for one song and then 5-8 for the next song. I hope you follow what I am saying.

Alan

I use the top row for the blocks I will either change most in a preset, or want to see when they are on/off.

The bottom row is for pre-set scenes (verse, chorus & solo) & a volume boost per filter block.

Using X/Y I have it so my boost is 1db on the 1st two rhythm scenes & 4db on the lead scene #3.
Photo%20Jul%2014%2C%208%2016%2000%20PM.jpg

Each preset is named by the song & BPM that is saved automatically in each preset. I can & do over-ride this w/ tap tempo to the drummer when things are faster or slower as well.

I use the blinking led for the tap tempo when I start a song as it matches the original songs BPM.

My expression pedal is always set for auto wah too....I use the Clyde wah in the FX8 on every preset except "Slither" by Slash & Velvet Revolver.

This is just one way to do things, but this works great live for me w/ no issues at all.

X

Last edited:
I use the top row for the blocks I will either change most in a preset, or want to see when they are on/off.

The bottom row is for pre-set scenes (verse, chorus & solo) & a volume boost per filter block.

Using X/Y I have it so do my boost is 1db on the 1st to rhythm scenes & 4db on the lead scene #3.
Photo%20Jul%2014%2C%208%2016%2000%20PM.jpg

Each preset is named by the song & BPM that is saved automatically in each preset. I can & do over-ride this w/ tap tempo to the drummer when things are faster or slower.

My expression pedal is always set for auto wah too....

Just one way to do things, but this works great live for me w/ no issues.

X
Love your ideas/insights. I'm going give this a try.

Right now, I have F3 set to toggle S1/S2. And I have it set in both states (press and press/hold) just so in the heat of battle, if I press the switch too long, nothing bad happens. But I love the idea of 3 scenes along the bottom. Honestly, if scenes are set correctly, I almost never have to think of manual x/y foot taps.

Generally I have three "pre" effects before OD pedals/amp (generally includes vol, wah, phase/vibe) and 5 post effects in the amp's loop (mod, delay, solo boost).
Amp is set for early break up and I have a Tim OD between output 1 and front end of amp.

Top row: blocks in stompbox mode...auto wah, phase or vibe, chorus or flange, delay.
Bottom row: scenes
F3: S1/S2 (S1 no fx, S2 adds Suhr Koko Boost for mid boost)
This way I can access 6 scenes and 4 blocks.

CC pedal with toe switch: default is vol, switch to wah or whammy

F2: (hold) tuner
F1: program change

Last edited:
Love your ideas/insights. I'm going give this a try.

Right now, I have F3 set to toggle S1/S2. And I have it set in both states (press and press/hold) just so in the heat of battle, if I press the switch too long, nothing bad happens. But I love the idea of 3 scenes along the bottom. Honestly, if scenes are set correctly, I almost never have to think of manual x/y foot taps.
The great thing about the FX8 is that you have complete flexability to set it up whatever way works best for your playing environment.

I go on a song based preset system....& that might sound like a lot at 1st, but it's really not.

EVERYTHING I do is set up left to right per song 1st & foremost. If a song starts w/ a lead, then S1 is that lead scene.....I ususally have S2 set for the chorus of a song w/ a .5 db boost on say the Chorus block. There are lots of little things changing that are not shown on the 4 or 5 button switches & these go on in the background.

I now use the Studio-C reverb block live on almost all of my presets, but I never turn it on/off....So it's not assigned to a switch. If it needs to be OFF all the time, it's set that way in advance.

I've found my core sounds & FX combinations. Most of my song based presets are just a re-ordering of what I alsteady know works.

But.....by having individual song based presets, I never have to worry about messing up a preset for other songs. I do have a handful of songs that have 1-of FX or scenes as well.

I created the Whammy solo for Rage Against the Machines "Killing in the Name" & the very cool "Cherub Rock" solo that has some eunique blocks in it to get it right.

Using this system, my live sets & show go VERY smooth.....& sound spectacular. I'm never screw up or wonder what button to press during a song order wise.

& as always: I make all of my presets, tones & FX mixes at GIG VOLUMES, even if my neighbors HATE me later on! It's the only way to tame high end & get your FX mixes correct.

I NEVER mess with my presets at a live show either. I have built in work arounds in my presets if I need more volume or less of something.

Good luck on your set-up & tone quest. I hope that this helps in some small way & gets you "there" faster.

I am planning on doing an "X's Rig Run Down" very soon since I'm SO in love with my FX8 & Mesa TC50 amp set-up. I'm also willing too help anyone with their rig if I can, just PM me & we'll go from there. :cool:

X

Note: Some of my presets only use 1 or 2 scene & I do have a few (Like Rio from Duran Duran) that take 4-scenes in total.

I also like that I can get the FX levels & mix right for each song as some need more delay or less of something in the over-all mix. I've tried a lot of different set-ups w/ the FX8 & this has been just perfect for me. Results will vary....;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom