Core Audio Apple Compatible?

Jason King

Is the Axe FX 2 Mark II a Core Audio Compliant Interface? Potentially want to play an Ipad into it via Lightning to USB Adapter.

Is the Axe FX 2 Mark II a Core Audio Compliant Interface? Potentially want to play an Ipad into it via Lightning to USB Adapter.
What are you trying to do?
You can just plug an mini jack to 1/4" adapter into the input 2 and insert the fx (send, loop? not at my machine) block into the grid.

What are you trying to do?
You can just plug an mini jack to 1/4" adapter into the input 2 and insert the fx (send, loop? not at my machine) block into the grid.
I'm trying to consider if it's possible to use an IPad backing tracks app to use the AXE FX2 as an interface whilst simultaneously using the Axe Fx the play my guitar through for live use. I'm considering starting a duo that would use the occasional backing track. It seems the IPAD is the easiest thing to use. My research reveals that using an interface will provide for one a solid audio connection to FOH and the potential for multiple outputs for a backing track , ie up to 4 channels/tracks.

I'm trying to consider if it's possible to use an IPad backing tracks app to use the AXE FX2 as an interface whilst simultaneously using the Axe Fx to play my guitar through for live use. I'm considering starting a duo that would use the occasional backing track. It seems the IPAD is the easiest thing to use. My research reveals that using an interface will provide for one a solid audio connection to FOH and the potential for multiple outputs for a backing track , ie up to 4 channels/tracks.
Would never rely on the headphone jack for a live gig.
Play an iPad into it?
use as an interface more precisely for live use

Would prefer not to use the inferior headphone out lead into a DI Box. Inferior sound quality and flimsy connection, not bulletproof or road resilient over the medium term.
So an interface into the lighting port is better? Will you still have only one interface and one iPad?
Legit question, if you are looking for either bulletproof or road resilient, I wouldn't put all your eggs into any single piece of equipment.

What happens if it goes down, do you skip the song, or do you call off the gig?
What's the backup plan?

We use an iPad with 3.5mm plug. Our backup plan is another tablet that is always ready to go.
Our backing tracks are mono (left for click, right for tracks).
If we lost both somehow, then we can play without tracks for the gig.

Nobody in the audience would be able to tell if we went stereo or were to use an interface.

Would prefer not to use the inferior headphone out lead into a DI Box. Inferior sound quality and flimsy connection, not bulletproof or road resilient over the medium term.

Fair enough, although ... If that was my concern, I wouldn't be any more confident of the digital ports on the iPad than I am of the headphone jack.

I just mentioned the DI because that's what I see folks with iPads using around here. The headphone out may not be of audiophile quality, but it's more than adequate for live sound.

• http://showoneapp.com/support/

This is the app I've been looking at. They mention that best results are achieved with an interface. Thought maybe The Axe Fx 2 could do the job too rather than buying another small interface?
    Appreciate that mono is more than adequate , just want the fidelity possible.

With 4-Channel Mode, available as an in-app purchase from the Store, you can send the full stereo mix of your audio to the audience while also having a more flexible stereo Cue output for the musicians. You’ll need a 3rd party iOS audio interface that supports 4 outputs connected to your device to fully utilize this feature; the NI Traktor Audio 2, Novation Audiohub 2X4, and iConnectivity iConnectAUDIO4+ are a few of our favorites.
  • How does 4-Channel mode work in ShowOne?
    With 4-Channel Mode, available as an in-app purchase from the Store, you can send the full stereo mix of your audio to the audience while also having a more flexible stereo Cue output for the musicians. You’ll need a 3rd party iOS audio interface that supports 4 outputs connected to your device to fully utilize this feature; the NI Traktor Audio 2, Novation Audiohub 2X4, and iConnectivity iConnectAUDIO4+ are a few of our favorites.

With a compatible interface connected, go to Settings from the Main Menu and change the Output Mode from 2-Channel to 4-Channel. This will send the Main output of ShowOne to channels 1-2 of the interface (usually the “Main” or primary output), and the Cue output to channels 3-4 (usually the “Headphone” or secondary output), both in full stereo. Cue Pan is disabled, and the click and count offs play out both channels of the Cue output, known as “Cue Mixed” Mode. “Cue Split” mode will play the count-off out of channel 3, and the click out of channel 4.

TIP: Cue Split works well when connected to a monitor mix feeding in-ear monitors. For instance, with this mode you can send the count-off channel to all the musicians so everyone knows where to come in, while sending the click only to who needs it most (read: the drummer).

TIP: There are several great 4-output audio interfaces that work with ShowOne; see the Tips and Tricks section for details and a compatibility chart. Some may require additional setup before using with ShowOne.

NOTE: 4-channel mode can still be activated without a 4-output interface connected – it will simply play your tracks’ audio full stereo out the headphone jack while the click and countoffs won’t be heard. See this entry in the Tips & Tricks section for how this could be useful… (COMING SOON)

Back
Top Bottom