Tones coming out muddy

EMITEKamen

Hey guys,
Total newbie to the world of FX modelling, so please excuse me if I come across as a total burk!

I picked up my unit about 3 weeks ago and I'm trying to model some modern metal tones (think northlane, monuments, etc.) However, no matter how hard I try to EQ, the tones just seem to be a muddy mess.

I've tried stripping the tones back to just a T808, RectoRed and a Citrus cab but it doesn't seem to help. Can any of you more experienced folks point me in the right direction? I've also removed any EMI sources and grounded my guitar so there's not any feedback issues.
Maybe it's just me being rubbish!

Much obliged

Also, I'm sorry if I've posted in the wrong place

Here's a list off the top o my head of various things I've learned here and by some years of tweaking FAS gear..
1-it is easy to apply too much Master volume..ease back on that and compensate with amp Level
2-same goes for Bass...especially with the Mesas....dial bass back in aamp block and compensate with the 5 band GEQ in the classic smile config after amp block
3- Try to keep MIX in your drive block at 50% or less
4-don't be afraid to experiment with extreme settings in either direction on Input Drive and Trim and MV and MV trim as well as BMT, in concert withto find the gain staging ratio that works for you...
5-if you making presets to use LIVE with a band .do all these tweaks at GIG VOLUME..if you're a home player only , do what pleases your ears.
6 check out lots of IR s.....

What are you monitoring with? Bradelake hit on many good points, I would only add that it might take a while to find the right cab ir. Apply more low cut in the cab block (as high as 300hz possibly). If it helps go to a brighter ir until you can keep your low cut around 100 or so. Also turn on low cut in the amp block.

I've tried monitoring through my HS8s and my senheiser pros for trying to make it as flat as possible. Then I've also tried using my senheiser headphones and Bose speakers for a realistic sound. All of which seem to be muddy in the low end. After trying bradlake's suggestions, it's definitely helped quite a bit. I might try and search for some different IRs though :)

It would also help if, after you make your 10 posts( I think) to get past @iaresee 's forum quota, you can post one of your presets and I'm sure someone can further diagnose and make suggestions ...folks like to help each other out here. Enjoy your new box... every day will open up new revelations for ya.

Also make sure you are in the latest firmware..that has some new Celestion cabs that are very nonflubby..if you have an XL or XL+...

My advice is find the right IR. For me, buying a cab pack was a huge improvement. There were some OK stock ones but you have to search through tons of not so great ones. IMO

My advice is find the right IR. For me, buying a cab pack was a huge improvement. There were some OK stock ones but you have to search through tons of not so great ones. IMO
This is the case with many folk, others have been happy with never leaving stock..I am on your side on this though..
Both the Fractal cab pack makers like @MLSoundlab, @austinbuddy and aand 3rd party guys (my faves are Own hammer , Celestion plus and valhallir) are putting out amazing stuff

One of the key elements for me for mud is bass. I drop everything below 110hz in my EQs, cab blocks, amp speaker settings, etc. Results will vary as I use a 4 x 12 guitar cab. But doing so for me tightens up the bottom end and keeps it punchy instead of flubbery mud. My Celestion Creamback 65s frequency range is 75-5000Hz, so I tend to work in those parameters for my tone.

Thanks guys! Really appreciate all your help :)

I know one of the main problems I'm having is that the 8 string I'm using for the tone has an EMG 808 set. Definitely doesn't help as I'm still not used to active pups! I'll have a look through all the cab packs in a bit, heard a lot about ownhammer so I'll be sure to check them out!

And alas, Bradlake, as a bit of a cheapskate, I only went for an AxeFX II standard, would love to upgrade within the next year or two though!

You're using the two models that I used to love (t808 and Recto1 Red) but I haven't liked for the last few firmwares when it comes to tight and clear metal tones.

Personally I'd try some other amp models.

I was at a bit of a loss when looking for that big, thumpy, saturated recto tone until recently when I tried the Euro Uber model. Now my GAS for that type of tone is satiated.

I would also recommend experimenting with other drive pedals, as I haven't been a fan of the t808 or t808 mod for some time now, though I do still love using a real tubescreamer in front of the axe fx.

The FAS Boost is pretty good, maybe a bit on the neutral side. Great for an amp that is already mostly tight enough but needs that extra oomph. The Eternal Love boost is also really tight, focussing mostly on the upper mids with a bit bass cut.

Good luck!

Hey guys,
Total newbie to the world of FX modelling, so please excuse me if I come across as a total burk!

I picked up my unit about 3 weeks ago and I'm trying to model some modern metal tones (think northlane, monuments, etc.) However, no matter how hard I try to EQ, the tones just seem to be a muddy mess.

I've tried stripping the tones back to just a T808, RectoRed and a Citrus cab but it doesn't seem to help. Can any of you more experienced folks point me in the right direction? I've also removed any EMI sources and grounded my guitar so there's not any feedback issues.
Maybe it's just me being rubbish!

Much obliged

Also, I'm sorry if I've posted in the wrong place
Had mine for 4 years mate, I still ask burk questions. Don't stress people on here are mint. Even shown me step by step to achieve objective. Good luck and welcome aboard mate

For me, buying a cab pack was a huge improvement.
Personally I'd try some other amp models.
100%!!!

When it comes to high gain, I stay away from the Rectos since I can't seem to get the sound I want out of them. They are too boomy for me.

But in this case, just replace your Recto with the 5153 50w Blue in your signal chain, should sound much better.

Cheers!

It's taken me over a year to get rid of the muddy, boomy sounds and these are some of the things I ended up doing:

1) Using headphones - I never really see the issue.
2) Got rid of my 4 x 12 Mesa Traditional Recto Cab so I could use CAB SIM's
3) Bought a pair of Xitone FRFR 2 x 12" Passive wedges
4) Bought some acoustic isolators to isolate the cabs from the floor to get rid of some of that annoying mid-bass resonance
5) Cranked up the overall volume to make the cones move some air! (huge difference)

I use Marshall amp SIM's mostly when playing EVH (think Brown sound)...and if I want metal, I just tweak the advanced amp settings while adding more presence, highs and brightness.

Most of my guitars are using EMG 81/ 85's...which I find to be fairly bright.

When I first got the Axe FX XL II, I was seeing the same issues - muddy tones, and found it was kind of depressing, until I got to know how to tweak and build the rigs I wanted to get the sounds I wanted. It took me a long time, but today, I have it nailed down perfectly. If you're using smaller monitors, volume won't need to be quite as loud. Mine are quite large and need a lot of power to run them...so I have to crank them to get more clarity.

FRFR's are a good way to start. Forget the traditional guitar specific cabs. With FRFR's and IR's you can get pretty much any tone you want.

We play guitars. Bass is not our friend. Use low cuts, get rid of most of the bass in the amp model. I tend to be around 1.5 to 2.5. Try different cabs. And for me because I use it live, I make sure my volume is at stage level. I have had no problems with recto amp models, but I cut a lot of lows and eq.

The new cabIR.eu packs are incredible and they are half price right now you should check them out, they are very clear with no mud. I personally think they are the easiest to use IRs out right now that dont require much tweaking to get great tones.

Can any of you more experienced folks point me in the right direction?
Here's a quick preset that I made. Keep in mind, I'm in a treated room with (likely) different monitors. So, your results may vary. Hope this helps serve as a template that you can build off of.

Attachments

• BASSMASTER Recto1 Red.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom