Amp Patches from Real Amp Owners

favance

Power User
Just had a thought and I'm not necessarily qualified, as I no longer own any of these real amps represented in the Axe-FX...

It would be cool to qualify patches that are donated w/"Sounds just like my Amp XXX" for patches. I know it's not possible for everyone and my intent is NOT to discourage others. I've owned Fender and Marshall rigs, so I know what they are supposed to sound like. What I (and I believe others) might be looking for is great examples of the Soldanos, Dumbles, Matchless, Dr. Z, and some of the more obscure and out-of-reach rigs for most of us...

Also, would be cool to describe details how you're using the patch: FRFR, Real Amp/Cab, Volume Levels, Guitars Used, Studio or Stage Use, etc. (in addition to Axe-FX Firmware version, IR Mix Details, etc.).

The bottom line is how can the rest of us replicate the patch that may not have the same amp, ir, setup, without a baseline and details?

thanks in advance!

Maybe I don't understand your point... But a model of a specific amp "sounds like" that amp.

If you use only the settings available on the actual amp, the model would cover all the possible settings of the real amp.

That's kind of the whole point of modeling. :)

How the real amp is "supposed to sound" is still open to interpretation by the user. My knob settings might be completely different from yours...

Maybe you're looking for a "this is the way most people use it" type of thing?

There are subtile differences. With all of the parameters available to us...and Cliff has said IRs are a large part of the sound (I agree with this). I'm looking for Amp Models I've never owned (as I expect others are). I don't really know how the settings for these amps (and cabs) map from the Axe-FX models to the real amp... If I'm using an amp model I've never really owned, it tends to sound like a Marshall or Fender, because that's my only point of reference...I don't really know how the real amp responded and the appropriate settings...Does that make sense?

There are subtile differences. With all of the parameters available to us...and Cliff has said IRs are a large part of the sound (I agree with this). I'm looking for Amp Models I've never owned (as I expect others are). I don't really know how the settings for these amps (and cabs) map from the Axe-FX models to the real amp... If I'm using an amp model I've never really owned, it tends to sound like a Marshall or Fender, because that's my only point of reference...I don't really know how the real amp responded and the appropriate settings...Does that make sense?
I assume then that you have not read Yek's amp guide?

Yes. I've read it...still doesn't mean I can construct a Dumble emulation that sounds like Robin Fords...or Larry Carltons...

Yes. I've read it...still doesn't mean I can construct a Dumble emulation that sounds like Robin Fords...or Larry Carltons...
But I think that's a great example of what I was saying before: what is it supposed to sound like? Both players you mentioned use Dumble amps but they don't sound the same. Which one is how it is supposed to sound?

Anyway, sorry, I'm not trying to squash your idea... I was just trying to sort out more specifically what you want to accomplish.

Also, one thing I can recommend: download the recent Axe Fx Bank A preset bundle. I think the main purpose of Bank A is to showcase the amps... And they've been dialed in well now :)

Also, if you just load up a blank preset with the default IR, that should sound like the real amp...because in almost, if not every, case, Cliff used the real amps to build the models. So when you load it up, you should say, "oh, that's what that amp sounds like when mic'd up." I suppose that's assuming you are using a good FRFR system (I wonder what system Cliff uses).

If you're looking for the sound of that amp as if you're standing in front of the head and a connected cab...well, that's another story. :)

Also, if you just load up a blank preset with the default IR, that should sound like the real amp...because in almost, if not every, case, Cliff used the real amps to build the models. So when you load it up, you should say, "oh, that's what that amp sounds like when mic'd up." I suppose that's assuming you are using a good FRFR system (I wonder what system Cliff uses).

If you're looking for the sound of that amp as if you're standing in front of the head and a connected cab...well, that's another story. :)
A blank preset has nothing in it... If you add a Cab block, the IR will be the 1x6 Oval... That is the default. It is not related to the Amp block.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant the amp block with whatever the "default" type IR would normally go with that amp.

Google maybe? One of Yek's posts might have it too. Are you just trying to be contentious or are you actually trying to help/disuss with the OP?

Google maybe? One of Yek's posts might have it too. Are you just trying to be contentious or are you actually trying to help/disuss with the OP?
I already suggested Yek's Guide above.

I'm trying to determine what the OP is really trying to ask for...

No problem...My intent is not to disturb anyone. But, only to improve our community.

I have never posted a patch (sorry). The reason, I feel my expertise is in Fender and Marshall and this has been easy enough to dial in for me. But, some of the more exotic amps/cabs require a little more effort IMHO. Maybe some are like me and want detailed instructions (especially were custom IRs are used). Would also be cool if some the IR providers would provide complete stage/studio recipes for their products, programmed by pros (I'll bet their sales would increase, especially if they used popular artists).

Hi...If you use only the settings available on the actual amp, the model would cover all the possible settings of the real amp.That's kind of the whole point of modeling.

I have done what the op is kind of talking about for myself. Specifically for say my 3rd Power amp. Everytime I gig with that amp I always get tone compliments. It has a vox ish channel and a plexi ish channel. If I tried to dial in the Axe Fx to sound like that amp...I couldn't do it if I tried without A / B ing with the actual amp. So I will spend time switching back and forth through the same cabinet(real) and same IR(amp and axe). I'll do that until I get a preset that sounds very similar to the amp. It works for me with my gear. I don't know if it'd translate for other gear / guitars. So maybe that is kind of where he is coming from.

Back
Top Bottom