dump problem

ureaman

New to this app. Tried to dump to the computer but when I press #14 I get an abort window. I can see that the MFC runs thru its dump. I have all the settings on the AX FX correct. I have no cables in the MFC except power and the MIDI out cable. That cable is to the MIDI in on the AX. The cat 5 cable is not used. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Try the Help->Axe-Fx II as USB/MIDI Interface off the main MFC-Edit screen. Follow the direction completely. Also, make sure that ONLY the transformer and the MIDI OUT cable are connected to the MFC-101 during this transfer.

I would say double-check your settings. Make sure that ONLY the MIDI-IN of the Axe-Fx is connected also. No other MIDI cables, no Cat5 or FASLINK, just in case.

Hope that solved your problem. No offense intended, but the combination of your screen name and that post title made me think you might want to word things more judiciously --- or maybe you did. ;-)

Hope that solved your problem. No offense intended, but the combination of your screen name and that post title made me think you might want to word things more judiciously --- or maybe you did. ;-)
Ok... Since someone else broke that ice... I thought the same thing ;)

Try the Help->Axe-Fx II as USB/MIDI Interface off the main MFC-Edit screen. Follow the direction completely. Also, make sure that ONLY the transformer and the MIDI OUT cable are connected to the MFC-101 during this transfer.

I would say double-check your settings. Make sure that ONLY the MIDI-IN of the Axe-Fx is connected also. No other MIDI cables, no Cat5 or FASLINK, just in case.

Thanks for the advice. Thanks for appreciating my humor as well! I went back and double checked everything. I even re-downloaded the USB driver even though I was sure it worked as I use AX-edit. Still not working. One thing I notice is that my choice for MIDI device is AX FX midi out. Shouldn't that be MIDI in? I then checked the choices for data transfer to the MFC. The only choice there is Ax FX MIDI in. Isn't that backwards?

Thanks for the advice. Thanks for appreciating my humor as well! I went back and double checked everything. I even re-downloaded the USB driver even though I was sure it worked as I use AX-edit. Still not working. One thing I notice is that my choice for MIDI device is AX FX midi out. Shouldn't that be MIDI in? I then checked the choices for data transfer to the MFC. The only choice there is Ax FX MIDI in. Isn't that backwards?
That's correct. The MIDI data source/interface to connect to is the Axe-Fx MIDI Out. Yes its strange, but that's correct. If you were to SEND a file to the MFC-101 you'd find the "Axe_fx MIDI In" in the drop-down list because that's where MFC-Edit is going to send the data to. I think its time to open a support ticket and attach some screenshots and we'll see what we can figure out. Include in the ticket the Operating System, the MFC-Edit version, the error log from MFC-Edit and some screenshots of the failure.

I don't think I was clear that I am using the Ax FX as my interface. I have my computer, Mac Pro early 2015, Mac OS 10.12.5, MFC edit version 7.2. I reviewed your explanation. I have the computer via USB to the Ax FX. I have the USB adapter switched on. The send system data switch is at none. So how should the midi cable be connected? AX FX midi in to MFC midi out or vice versa? I've tried it both ways. If I run from MIDI out of AX FX as the dropdown screen says, then I had gone to the MIDI in on the MFC. When I do that and execute the dump, the MFC does its progression, but the MFC edit does nothing. If I go from AX FX in to MFC out, when I press #14 to execute, the MFC edit stops and aborts. Thanks again for your help. What else can I send to help?

Yes, I did understand you were using the Axe-Fx as the USB/MIDI interface. The term "dump" means we are sending data from the MFC-101 to the computer. To be sure that we are communicating clearly (I've been accused more than once of being confusing) I'm going to try to spell it out. Please don't take offence - I just want to be sure not to miss anything. So lets deal with MFC-101 -> Computer "dump" scenario first:

The MFC-101:
  1. Disconnect all cables from the MFC-101
  2. Connect the MIDI OUT port on the MFC-101 to the Axe-Fx MIDI IN port with a decent quality 3-pin or 5-pin MIDI cable
  3. Connect the power adapter that came with the MFC-101 to the MFC-101
  4. Press the EDIT switch
  5. Press the MIDI switch (sw #4)
  6. Select the MIDI port using the UP/DOWN switches (not EXPANSION or FASLINK)
  7. Press the EDIT switch again to save the change
  8. -- at this point the MFC-101 is good to go
The Axe-Fx:
  1. Power off the Axe-Fx
  2. Disconnect everything from the Axe-Fx except the power cord
  3. Connect the cable coming from the MFC-101 to the MIDI IN port on the Axe-Fx
  4. Power on the Axe-Fx
  5. Change the USB ADAPTER MODE to 'ON' (its on the MIDI page of the I/O menu (button on the Axe-Fx console)
  6. Change the SEND REALTIME SYSEX to 'NONE' on the same page
  7. -- at this point the Axe-Fx is ready to go. (remember to return them to the original value after doing all the MFC-101 dump/load operations)
The MAC computer:
  1. Exit all running MFC-Edit, Axe-Edit or Fractal Bot programs
  2. Launch MFC-Edit
  3. Select "Receive Dump from MFC-101" off the "Tools" menu
  4. From the "Device" pull-down list on the window that pops up, select "Axe-Fx II MIDI Out"
  5. Follow the rest of the instructions until MFC-Edit is waiting to receive data - it will display "Press Switch #14 now" in the litte on-screen LCD image
The MFC-101:
  1. Press Switch #14
  • MFC-101 should transmitting data, showing something like "Sending PRESETS I", "Sending PRESETS II", "Sending ..." etc.
  • Axe-Fx II: You should see the "MIDI IN" LED on the front panel of the Axe-Fx blinking as data is transmitted
  • MAC computer: You should see the orange progress bar of MFC-Edit advancing and the on-screen LCD bar mimic the messages on the MFC-101
If this fails, seriously, take a screenshot and paste it into a support ticket. Or try using Fractal Bot to capture the dump, save it to a file and try to open the file with MFC-Edit. It that fails, open a support ticket with all the pertinent data.

I'm having a similar issue and will watch for the resolution...
Everything connected as described, but when using MFC-Edit I get an immediate "abort!" message when I start the dump.
I used Fractal Bot to create a backup syx file and that worked with no issues, but when I try to open the saved file in MFC-Edit it won't load.
I loaded the newly created backup file back into the MFC-101 using Fractal Bot and everything is as it was, no issues.

Below is the error message from the help tab in MFC-Edit.

06/14 9:21 Can't load your SysEx dump file because the size (68335) is invalid. Probably the result of a transmission problem.
The only filsizes that are valid are:
140897 for Firmware 2.x
140915 for Firmware 3.x.

I'm having a similar issue and will watch for the resolution...
Everything connected as described, but when using MFC-Edit I get an immediate "abort!" message when I start the dump.
I used Fractal Bot to create a backup syx file and that worked with no issues, but when I try to open the saved file in MFC-Edit it won't load.
I loaded the newly created backup file back into the MFC-101 using Fractal Bot and everything is as it was, no issues.

Below is the error message from the help tab in MFC-Edit.

06/14 9:21 Can't load your SysEx dump file because the size (68335) is invalid. Probably the result of a transmission problem.
The only filsizes that are valid are:
140897 for Firmware 2.x
140915 for Firmware 3.x.
Yes, its a transmission problem. The file that was received by Fractal Bot is missing half its bytes so MFC-Edit won't load it because its corrupt. Fractal bot just collects bytes and stores them on the disk. It doesn't look at the bytes coming in from the MFC-101 or the number of bytes coming in. It takes whatever it gets and says "cool - got it". MFC-Edit is working as designed, showing you that not all the bytes made it to the computer using Fractal Bot. And the "Abort!" message using MFC-Edit as the receiver is saying the same thing - the bytes that were expected in specific positions didn't arrive. Off the Help menu in MFC-Edit you can get more information.

My best advice for you is to purchase a Roland UM-1 USB/MIDI interface - that will greatly simplify your life. They are $39 bucks and you can get them almost anywhere. Well worth the money. You'll thank me later :)

Roland UM-ONE on Amazon

Yes, I did understand you were using the Axe-Fx as the USB/MIDI interface. The term "dump" means we are sending data from the MFC-101 to the computer. To be sure that we are communicating clearly (I've been accused more than once of being confusing) I'm going to try to spell it out. Please don't take offence - I just want to be sure not to miss anything. So lets deal with MFC-101 -> Computer "dump" scenario first:

The MFC-101:
  1. Disconnect all cables from the MFC-101
  2. Connect the MIDI OUT port on the MFC-101 to the Axe-Fx MIDI IN port with a decent quality 3-pin or 5-pin MIDI cable
  3. Connect the power adapter that came with the MFC-101 to the MFC-101
  4. Press the EDIT switch
  5. Press the MIDI switch (sw #4)
  6. Select the MIDI port using the UP/DOWN switches (not EXPANSION or FASLINK)
  7. Press the EDIT switch again to save the change
  8. -- at this point the MFC-101 is good to go
The Axe-Fx:
  1. Power off the Axe-Fx
  2. Disconnect everything from the Axe-Fx except the power cord
  3. Connect the cable coming from the MFC-101 to the MIDI IN port on the Axe-Fx
  4. Power on the Axe-Fx
  5. Change the USB ADAPTER MODE to 'ON' (its on the MIDI page of the I/O menu (button on the Axe-Fx console)
  6. Change the SEND REALTIME SYSEX to 'NONE' on the same page
  7. -- at this point the Axe-Fx is ready to go. (remember to return them to the original value after doing all the MFC-101 dump/load operations)
The MAC computer:
  1. Exit all running MFC-Edit, Axe-Edit or Fractal Bot programs
  2. Launch MFC-Edit
  3. Select "Receive Dump from MFC-101" off the "Tools" menu
  4. From the "Device" pull-down list on the window that pops up, select "Axe-Fx II MIDI Out"
  5. Follow the rest of the instructions until MFC-Edit is waiting to receive data - it will display "Press Switch #14 now" in the litte on-screen LCD image
The MFC-101:
  1. Press Switch #14
  • MFC-101 should transmitting data, showing something like "Sending PRESETS I", "Sending PRESETS II", "Sending ..." etc.
  • Axe-Fx II: You should see the "MIDI IN" LED on the front panel of the Axe-Fx blinking as data is transmitted
  • MAC computer: You should see the orange progress bar of MFC-Edit advancing and the on-screen LCD bar mimic the messages on the MFC-101
If this fails, seriously, take a screenshot and paste it into a support ticket. Or try using Fractal Bot to capture the dump, save it to a file and try to open the file with MFC-Edit. It that fails, open a support ticket with all the pertinent data.

Followed your instructions but got the same result unfortunately. Here is the screen shot that occurs when I press #14:

Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 8.05.04 PM.png

Thanks for the screenshot. I can tell from the message that some bytes got lost on their way to the computer. Its also curious that I see on the main screen the current loaded file is a Mark III with firmware 3.8 installed but you are capturing a file from a Mark II MFC-101. Nothing wrong with that, just curious. Please open a support ticket, capture the dump with Fractal Bot and attach that to the support ticket. The contents might give me a clue as to what's being lost and why.
You can find additional debug information off the Help->Information, errors & support menu option. Also, in the Preferences section off the File menu you set the Logging Level to 5 and see if you get any more detail.

Finally got back to this! FYI, I tried a different MIDI interface, bypassing the Ax FX, but that didn't work either. Fractal Bot via AX FX worked perfectly. I was able to load that into MFC edit and reload an edited file back to the MFC with Fractal Bot. That works for me! I can send u the info requested though. Sorry, but I don't know how to open a support ticket. Also, I'm not sure what u mean by capturing the dump and sending it to you. thanks again for your help.

Finally got back to this! FYI, I tried a different MIDI interface, bypassing the Ax FX, but that didn't work either. Fractal Bot via AX FX worked perfectly. I was able to load that into MFC edit and reload an edited file back to the MFC with Fractal Bot. That works for me! I can send u the info requested though. Sorry, but I don't know how to open a support ticket. Also, I'm not sure what u mean by capturing the dump and sending it to you. thanks again for your help.
Send me the Sysex file please and I'll take a look at it. Also, send me the debug messages immediately after the aborted capture. You can get those from the Help->Information, errors and support option. When you open that window the contents are already copied to the clipboard and you can just paste it into the email or wherever.

Back
Top Bottom