Logic Pro X shuts off Axe-Fx II Audio

Animagus

Hello!
I'm using the Axe-fx Mark II plugged into UAD Apollo Twin using Axe's Output 1 into the Apollo preamps. Apollo is selected as the interface in Logic Pro X.
Now somehow Logic manages to shut the Axe-fx output audio going into the Apollo Twin inputs, no audio comes out of the Axe. Everything else is in place perfectly fine.

My Logic sessions are all 48kHz. I'm on a Macbook Pro with macOS Sierra.

Anyone knows the solution?
PS- There was an old thread on this in 2014 for Logic 9 but nobody had a solution for it besides deleting the Preferences files. I've deleted both the files multiple times but this problem still exists.

Last edited:
If you are using the Axe's analog outputs, there is nothing that the interface can do to affect the output of audio from the Axe II. Also, sample rate settings will have no effect since the analog output signal gets resampled by the Apollo Twins inputs to whatever rate it is using. Sample rate needs to match only when using digital I/O. Make sure the front panel output knobs are turned up.

This has been happening to me as well. I had the Axe connected to my interface by spdif as well, and I could only solve the problem by disconnecting the spdif and just using the analog outs. Unfortunate, since now I can't get simultaneous DI's while I record.

With S/PDIF or AES, the Axe II must be the master clock. Make sure your external interface is set 48 kHz, 24 bit and is set to use the incoming clock from the Axe II over S/PDIF or AES.

With S/PDIF or AES, the Axe II must be the master clock. Make sure your external interface is set 48 kHz, 24 bit and is set to use the incoming clock from the Axe II over S/PDIF or AES.
No, it's been a while that the axe fx can also be slave through s/pdif. In I/O just change the clock settings.

If you are using the Axe's analog outputs, there is nothing that the interface can do to affect the output of audio from the Axe II. Also, sample rate settings will have no effect since the analog output signal gets resampled by the Apollo Twins inputs to whatever rate it is using. Sample rate needs to match only when using digital I/O. Make sure the front panel output knobs are turned up.

Hey! Yes I know that. I mentioned everything to avoid answers about sample rate since that can't be a problem.

The Axe is connected to the laptop using the USB cable for Axe-Edit. Even though it isn't selected as the audio interface in Logic or in the midi section, it seems as if Logic sends a midi CC signal to mute Axe's output. :/ I checked the Midi settings, reset everything possible in Logic to get it to factory settings including deleting the preferences files to no avail.

My front panel knobs are always fully open with level set internally to send out gain targeting -12dbfs peak.

I've done the following till now which hasn't fixed the problem yet.
1. Logic -> Reset all preferences excluding key commands
2. Deleted the following preference files and restarted,
com.apple.logic10.plist and com.apple.logic.pro.cs
3. Reset all midi drivers in Logic.
4. Checked if Axe is selected as a midi device. It isn't.

Have you checked the Axe Utility menu meters for output activity when this happens?

If there's nothing on the Output 1 meters, try setting (at Axe-FX I/O: CTRL page) Input Volume and Output 1 Volume to "none". If there was no output at that time you'll need to restart the Axe-FX. See if the issue occurs again after that.

If you think a rogue MIDI message is to blame, you can disable this CC in the Axe-Fx, if only for testing purposes.

Go to the CTRL page of the I/O menu and set each of the following to NONE: INPUT VOLUME, OUT 1 VOLUME, OUT 2 VOLUME.

If you think a rogue MIDI message is to blame, you can disable this CC in the Axe-Fx, if only for testing purposes.

Go to the CTRL page of the I/O menu and set each of the following to NONE: INPUT VOLUME, OUT 1 VOLUME, OUT 2 VOLUME.

Hey Matt!
I replied to your email. I've done what you suggested. Let's see if it drops again.
Can there be anything else besides a rogue midi cc being sent out by Logic?
Cheers!

Hello everybody,
I experience the same, ist there anything I can do except setting the cc ´s in the Axe to none for In/Out Volume and Bypass?

I recently experienced this issue. Glad it exists because I/O setting change does fix it but could someone find out if this is a fault in the DAW and if so are their any remedies?

Back
Top Bottom