Back to Fractal after a LONG time away

grego7

Used to have an early AxeFx (before headphone outputs) and it didn't last long.

I've been playing a Kemper for the last few years and really had no complaints, then I received an AxeFx II Mk 2 in trade for an amp head. Fully intending to sell the AxeFx once I got it but damn - it was great! Sounded fantastic going into my computer for recording (as good as the KPA) and through my power station into a cabinet (better than the KPA, I dare say). Downloaded Axe Edit and game over. Sold the Kemper immediately. Still only having scratched the surface, but everything about it so far, I've really enjoyed.

My only concern now is, to get the most out of the AxeFx, I'm looking at foot controllers. The MFC looks awesome but more than I want to spend for now.

Actually considering trying to trade down to an Ax8. I use an Apogee Duet into the computer so the USB not carrying audio isn't a deal breaker. Would really appreciate any advice from the community here.

Glad to be here!

Welcome back Greg -
For now, I'd suggest making some of your more complex presets, and seeing how much cpu load is used. From there you can decide ( if you're using heaps of cpu or two amps and cabs etc) if the ax8 will suit you.
Thanks
Pauly

Do you want it for home recording/playing, or playing Live?

Just at home, I'd live without a foot controller for the extra power of the axe-fx, but the ax8 is a fantastic gig ready system. Nice and compact having everything in a single unit, no separate foot controller etc

That said, as long as you can live with the limitations of the ax8. I would love dual amps in my ax8, but happily live with just one.

What Pauly said. The AX8 does not have the same amount of DSP power, nor can it do everything the Axe Fx can. If you're into heavy FX use you might want to stick with the Axe instead.

Thanks for the welcome and the input - I think I'll stick with the Mk 2, can always explore other options down the road. For right now, it's just for home use and the Axe Edit is such a cool program, I think I can forego a foot controller. I usually just take out my bassman and pedalboard on the occasions that I do play with other folks. Not gigging regularly so the gig-readiness of the Ax8 would likely be lost on me anyhow.

Thanks again!

A few questions:
1 - What psycho gave up TWO Axe-FX II's for an amp head? What amp was that? Was it crafted on the thighs of virgin women? There's got to be way more to that story.
2 - What firmware are your Mk.2's on? Have you actually updated to the latest and greatest? It's clear you've been away for a while. We're on 8.02 now. If yours are on any of the old stuff you should consider updating everything https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-ii-quantum-rev-8-02-firmware-release.127619/

A few questions:
1 - What psycho gave up TWO Axe-FX II's for an amp head? What amp was that? Was it crafted on the thighs of virgin women? There's got to be way more to that story.
2 - What firmware are your Mk.2's on? Have you actually updated to the latest and greatest? It's clear you've been away for a while. We're on 8.02 now. If yours are on any of the old stuff you should consider updating everything https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-ii-quantum-rev-8-02-firmware-release.127619/

I think he only got one, but agree. The new fw is amazing. Especially with the new bank A.

A few questions:
2 - What firmware are your Mk.2's on? Have you actually updated to the latest and greatest? It's clear you've been away for a while. We're on 8.02 now.

Yeah, I only have one Axe II Mk2. I had picked up a used Friedman Runt 50 for $1400 that I wasn't thrilled with. Found someone on one of the many FB gear classified pages with a Mk2 looking specifically for a Runt (even trade) and hit him up. He's thrilled with the Friedman and I'm loving the AxeFx. He had updated the firmware and included a disc of IRs. Cool guy, great player and we both wound up happy with the trade. Love when it works out.

....not mine, and not that cheap, but an option....

Thanks, I saw that one. For a used one that's priced only $50 less than a new one, I think I might opt for brand new from Fractal if I decide to go MFC-101 down the road. They are hard to come by used. The Mark II that atomicblaze posted sounds ideal. I never had issues with the Kemper remote using a Cat5 cable and I don't have an XL, so the II would be great if I could fine one.

Yeah, I only have one Axe II Mk2. I had picked up a used Friedman Runt 50 for $1400 that I wasn't thrilled with. Found someone on one of the many FB gear classified pages with a Mk2 looking specifically for a Runt (even trade) and hit him up. He's thrilled with the Friedman and I'm loving the AxeFx. He had updated the firmware and included a disc of IRs. Cool guy, great player and we both wound up happy with the trade. Love when it works out.
..Yeah , Ive got a Runt 20 combo with a hincky FX loop that gathers dust now, you did yourself righteous. ....

Reactions: Ole
A good rule of thumb I found out is Axe-FXII single amp preset that runs above 80% memory use tends to be too much memory use when converted to the AX-8.

Hopefully that will help you make a more informed decision.

Back
Top Bottom