Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 8.02 Firmware Release

Just got done with an outdoor show using 8.02 and the new factory celestion cab 188. Killer tone.

I changed my two main presets to both use the F188 cab. It gave a more consistent tone to FOH to use the same IR for both presets.

Bandmaster clean and Soldano 100 dirty. Both using F188 with motor drive on 1.0.

modifier capability to the output compression parameter (“COMP”) in the Amp block

Will this be included in Axe-Edit? :)

Fixed bug where presets that use a User Cab(s) and were saved under earlier firmware versions might have the incorrect User Cab(s) assigned when recalled on later firmware.

I don't know if this has something to do with it, but after the update to 8.02 I noticed that the cab positions in my patches which use global cab blocks have an offset of 5 positions, while the patches which don't use global cab blocks are fine.
That was always the case when new factory cabs were added, so I immediately checked the cabs. Last time, both the global and "regular" cabs blocks had this problem, this time only the global cab blocks

Last edited:
I have to reset my tuner to mute after every FW update. While I wish it would
just be muted by default, it's a small price to pay for regular updates!
You don't have to do this unless you are manually resetting system settings, which isn't required.

When I installed 8.02 in my XL, I kept getting the Axe-Fx Name Time out error on my MFC. This has never happened before. My XL was set to Faslink, my MFC was set to Expansion port. Eventually ended up reloading my settings to the MFC and everything started working fine. Anybody else have this happen?
Love the new Celestion IR's btw. . . .
Bill

Just got done with an outdoor show using 8.02 and the new factory celestion cab 188. Killer tone.

I changed my two main presets to both use the F188 cab. It gave a more consistent tone to FOH to use the same IR for both presets.

Bandmaster clean and Soldano 100 dirty. Both using F188 with motor drive on 1.0.
I have Creamback 12M Creambacks installed in my 4 x 12 cab. Very balanced tone and acts a lot like a green back on steroids. It's nice to see this included. Unfortunately, these new cabs don't sound anything like the Creambacks, with regard to tone. They are missing the tight low end grunt and the smooth but punchy highs. I'm gonna play some more to see if it's my ears playing games.

Last edited:
I have Creamback 12M Creambacks installed in my 4 x 12 cab. Very balanced tone and acts a lot like a green back on steroids. It's nice to see this included. Unfortunately, these new cabs don't sound anything like the Creambacks, with regard to tone. They are missing the tight low end grunt and the smooth but punchy highs. I'm gonna play some more to see if it's my ears playing games.
nice to finally hear some review in the midst of all the butthurt. ;)

would love some sound samples.

PS... I also have bought the V30, Greenback, and G65 4x12 packs from celestion when they were on sale. I love them and they have become my goto starting points.

PSS, I have a Mk II so I can't check out Cliff's mixes.

They sound more old vintage and muddy midrange to me and not good for metal. I just stick to my own Ir's and am happy.

They sound more old vintage and muddy midrange to me and not good for metal. I just stick to my own Ir's and am happy.
Pretty good description. The real ones are supposed to be a replicated sound of the original Greenback 25, with more power and tighter bottom. I suck at making IRs. I've never liked any of them I have created.

When I installed 8.02 in my XL, I kept getting the Axe-Fx Name Time out error on my MFC. This has never happened before. My XL was set to Faslink, my MFC was set to Expansion port. Eventually ended up reloading my settings to the MFC and everything started working fine. Anybody else have this happen?
Love the new Celestion IR's btw. . . .
Bill

I've encountered the same issue a couple times before. What I do now is unplug my Axe Fx from the MFC before upgrading firmware and it has never been an issue since.

F188 really paired well with the Bandmaster and Soldano 100 for me.

Highs were incredible for me. I don't have a ton of low end on any preset right now and I'm playing a Strat, so I didn't have any unsatisfaction with the lows.

I did have Motor Drive at 1.0. I thought that glued the sound together in a good way.

I ran my CLR FRFR monitor a little different too. I maxed out the input gain and then used Output 2 on the Fractal (I had been using Out 1 R).

It was so amp like during the show it was nuts. I had all the vibe, sustain, feedback and growl I could ask for.

Got all of em already...that's why I was interested in how Fractal mixed them...I would like to learn from their expertise, especially when working with major artists, like Metallica!

To my knowledge the five included IR samples are just something Cliff thought sounded good, and were not created for, with, or used by Metallica

Back
Top Bottom