Is The Edge going with Axe FX for the new tour?

Hi. I had heard your recording when you posted it. It doesn't sound like the album. I think your's sounds more like his live sound from the last tour. To be honest, I don't know if he used an AxeFX for that sound or an A3 in the last tour. The point being, it doesn't quite sound like the album either way. When he's definitely used the A3 on tour, it doesn't sound like the album either. My only guess as to why is b/c of the drive used before the effects or a slightly different gain structure that affects the bite and oomph that happens across time.

Anyway, I'm not saying yours is bad but it's not what would cause me to sell my A3. Mind you, I'm totally fascinated by this sound. First for the Korg designers and second for the Edge (or whoever) that discovered it and framed it into the song we know from the album. He has an incredible skill of finding unique sounds.
Hi,
Of course, I´m chasing for edge´s live tones.;)

Reactions: edo
I have to agree with the fact that there are some axe users who have more convincing axe funk wah patches than the edge's, however I didn't mind his tone in the last tour.
As far as the album version vs live version, to me the key is the fact that the studio version probably uses a clean guitar into A3 into a cranked amp (you can tell by the distortion on the reverb, which is the typical crunch you get when placing a reverb pedal into a crunchy amp), while the live version probably uses an od (possibly the fa1) into the A3 into a cleaner amp (by placing a boost / od before the A3 you're changing the swoosh and the reverb loses its character).

Understood. Please put me in touch with Mr. Edge. I have a better preset than he does for the album sound of Mysterious Ways (that is of course assuming the best he has is from the last tour... e.g. the live sound, not the album sound).

This is the old one interleaved with a real A3.

The old one did not translate well at all through the firmware updates so I made several more attempts.

My current ones are much much nicer to play through the whole range - to the point that I like it compared with the A3 but side by side, I think the difference is clearer - again due to the flanger and reverb. I don't have a recording of that online though. I have a better Fly version too than what's posted. He'd love it.

Any chance we could have your Fly preset or a link to it if it's already posted? Spent the last week playing along to the backing track
but I'm missing something
Cheers

U2: I was just at the Vancouver BC show (first on the tour) last Friday, and the Edge sounded great and cut through the mix with no issues and really replicated his album tones.

There is no Fractal AXE-FX visible on stage but, as with most mega-band-tours these days, it is all kept under the stage and programmed to be "set list ready" in song list order.

U2 was on Jimmy Kimmel last night...and it sure looks like two fractal AXE FX II in the rack behind Edge.

this is a different mix from what went over the air. In that there were some close ups that show the FX better.
Anyone else notice that??

Awesome!! 30 years later and it's still spine tingling...especially at the end (I won't spoil it).

Hard to tell, but it didn't look like the LED's on the Axe-Fx units were lighting up. This may have been Strat -> SDD-3000 pedal -> into the AC30 behind the rack or the Fender amp.

...nearly 20 year old multi FX unit!

Nearly 30 year old unit! It was released in 1989. :)

korg_a3_ad_1989.jpg

U2 was on Jimmy Kimmel last night...and it sure looks like two fractal AXE FX II in the rack behind Edge.

this is a different mix from what went over the air. In that there were some close ups that show the FX better.
Anyone else notice that??

There's a third axe fx (off) between the other 2 axe fx's (on). Although this could be a promo / smaller rig than the touring one we haven't seen yet, it wouldn't be the first time

I had this unit and foot controller in 1990 and the upgraded A2 after that

I've had a few over the years, including the controller. The one I have now is in mint condition. Bought it from the original owner who ordered it from the local guitar shop, back in 1989. He even had the original poster with it and chain card. :)

I also managed to fix the Omni Off bug in the A3. The setting would have to be set every time you powered up the unit. I re-wrote a few lines of the assembly code and burned the new code into a replacement EPROM. :D

The delays in the A3 are quite good, as are most of the effects.

The delays in the A3 are quite good, as are most of the effects.

I mean some of Achtung Baby and the whole of Zooropa is basically A3.

Just shows you. It's about what you do with the tools to be creative.

By the way, on the Jimmy Kimmel show I'm seeing 3x Axe FX, his custom rackmount Line6 DM4 and his custom rackmount SDD3000. Weirdly There's also a complete copy of his pedalboard just lying next to the Fender amp.

What is telling is there is NO AC30 in sight. None, zip, nada.

Last edited:
I mean some of Achtung Baby and the whole of Zooropa is basically A3.

Just shows you. It's about what you do with the tools to be creative.

By the way, on the Jimmy Kimmel show I'm seeing 3x Axe FX, his custom rackmount Line6 DM4 and his custom rackmount SDD3000. Weirdly There's also a complete copy of his pedalboard just lying next to the Fender amp.

What is telling is there is NO AC30 in sight. None, zip, nada.
There is a white ac30hw2x behind the rack. And the foot controller looks like a stripped down version of the real deal. It's always hard to tell with tv shows, you never know if it's live or if they're faking it.. for example in Italy, 90% of the times we record the backing track and have live vocals during airplay, while last week in Brazil it was 100% live with no volume limit

There is a white ac30hw2x behind the rack. And the foot controller looks like a stripped down version of the real deal. It's always hard to tell with tv shows, you never know if it's live or if they're faking it.. for example in Italy, 90% of the times we record the backing track and have live vocals during airplay, while last week in Brazil it was 100% live with no volume limit
Good spot on the backwards facing AC30, I missed that.

Were you in Brazil?

S**t man, I live in Brazil and didn't knowyou guys would be here! I can believe I just lost this opportunity :sleepy:

Back
Top Bottom