In-ear monitoring

Gonwild

Inspired
Hello, AX8 usere here. After a gig with bad sound (feedback from my FRFR monitor, and not hearing myself sufficiently), I'm researching the possibility of in ear-monitoring. What equipment would I need? (I already have some moulded earplugs which I think can be used for monitors if I swap out the attenuation filters)

If I'm the only one in the band using a setup like this, how can I make sure I hear the rest of the band? Anyone got any expreience with this?

at rehersal I hear bass through amp, keys in PA, acoustic drums. Have a mixer at rehersal, but for gigs I just get to hear them through stage monitors.

At the gig you run what signal is going to the monitors to your iem system. Depends on how many aux sends if you will get your own mix or not.

What is your budget?
You can get a supper nice setup where you can hear every little thing if money is no object.
Is wireless a priority or are you ok with running a long headphone cable along your guitar cable. That will save you a big bunch of cash.
https://www.seismicaudiospeakers.co...6&cadevice=m&gclid=CJjhxJnqutMCFUS5wAodeHoJVA
Plug your whole band into this and then run that to a mixer on stage and the rest to the FOH snake.
You would also need to purchase a mixer and a drum and bass mic.
For $1000.00 you could get a decent setup.

thanks for your suggestions. I'm thinking a super simple setup, where I get my own in-ear sound that I can rely on, but still able to hear some bass and keys from an external source (for example a house monitor..drums are always loud enough) - is this something that can be achieved somehow?

I used a behringer 1204usb and a Carvin EM900. Ask for or setup your monitor mix to have everything you normally have and levels except no guitar and go into the 1204. (I have an axefx ii) Then I use out 1 stereo to FoH and out 2 stereo to the 1204. I then mix the levels to where I want and output them stereo to the Carvin EM900. It's a little extra work setting up but after going IEM unless absolutely necessary I will never use floor monitors again.

I used a behringer 1204usb and a Carvin EM900. Ask for or setup your monitor mix to have everything you normally have and levels except no guitar and go into the 1204. (I have an axefx ii) Then I use out 1 stereo to FoH and out 2 stereo to the 1204. I then mix the levels to where I want and output them stereo to the Carvin EM900. It's a little extra work setting up but after going IEM unless absolutely necessary I will never use floor monitors again.

that sounds pretty simple, and not too expensive. Are your plugs moulded, or are the stock ones good enough ?

that sounds pretty simple, and not too expensive. Are your plugs moulded, or are the stock ones good enough ?
I used the stock ones until they wore out. Now using Shure 215s, which are better. While obviously not as comfortable as molded and only single driver, I was just playing small bars and pubs and it was sufficient.

I also use them at the gym, bike riding, at work, and everything else as they really do sound great and really good isolation with the foam tips, and I prefer the style over the ear with the cable down my back.

sweet - I also found this:http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=PM351
which can take an xlr input from my ax8, and a monitor input from the house mixer, and be a personal headphone amp/monitoring solution. Just need a headphone extension cable and I think I'd have a pretty affordable solution (if I can manage without the wireless)

I just picked up a behringer p1 little headphone amp, and use it on an acoustic gig i'm doing for my ears.. i'm sitting down so I don't need my wireless.. it takes 2 xlr's or can take 1 and do mono.. I have it stereo using 2 auxes from the Mackie dl1608. Works a treat, and was cheap $49. I don't have to dig out my sennheiser, or drag the big ear rack for this gig.

I also use them at the gym, bike riding, at work, and everything else as they really do sound great and really good isolation with the foam tips, and I prefer the style over the ear with the cable down my back.
Gym & work, check. I'm not so sure isolation is what you want while riding bike, though. :eek:

I just picked up a behringer p1 little headphone amp, and use it on an acoustic gig i'm doing for my ears.. i'm sitting down so I don't need my wireless.. it takes 2 xlr's or can take 1 and do mono.. I have it stereo using 2 auxes from the Mackie dl1608. Works a treat, and was cheap $49. I don't have to dig out my sennheiser, or drag the big ear rack for this gig.
P1 user here. I use 1 or 2 XLR aux outs from the mixer, depending on availability. OP, if you're still deciding, the P1 is cheap way to test the IEM waters. I mounted mine in my Axe rack, powered by pedal power.

Gym & work, check. I'm not so sure isolation is what you want while riding bike, though. :eek:

not motor bike on streets or highway if that's what you're thinking, bicycle, I do 20km daily down a stretch of paved bike paths here in Calgary., Bowflex max trainer every 2nd day (14 min max intervals) and the gym 4 on 3 off for about an hour each session weekly. Keeps me lean and fit, bike riding outside is si much more clarifying and inspiring that riding a bike at the gym :p

Anyways, The Shure 215's sound great for the price, and durable. The phones also unplug so you can use your own cable, or replace it if damaged. I paid $129 CDN for them and they are IMO about 3x the quality of the carvin stock.

Guys in my band are using SE215's I have SE315; 315's are better in the lower frequencies, that is quite important as I am palying bass. The difference is noticeable.

Gday Wally,
Have you tried the 535s? I'd be interested to hear how the bass stacks up on them compared to the 315s.
Thanks
Pauly

535's are much clearer in lower frequencies, it seems like there is more "air" in the sound. The only problem is price difference... I am not sure if the fullnes and clarity of sound will not be lost on loud stage...

Thanks Wally,
I have some 535s and 215s, but no 315s, or 845s (what a sheltered life I lead haha) - I asked because I like the 535s, however the low end is a little light for my tastes, even compared to the 215s. I understand the 845s have a 4th driver specifically for bass but I just dont want to spend the $$$
Thanks
Pauly

Hello, AX8 usere here. After a gig with bad sound (feedback from my FRFR monitor, and not hearing myself sufficiently), I'm researching the possibility of in ear-monitoring. What equipment would I need? (I already have some moulded earplugs which I think can be used for monitors if I swap out the attenuation filters)

If I'm the only one in the band using a setup like this, how can I make sure I hear the rest of the band? Anyone got any expreience with this?
I have earplugs with attenuation filters - they are not the same as the ones I had made for my IEMs. The hole is not the same size.

Back
Top Bottom