Serial vs Parallel Delay settings

Doubleneck

Inspired
When I compare a serial delay preset that is set to 15% the parallel delay that is also set to 15% has quite a bit less delay.
Is there a quick way or a formula to convert a serial delay that’s set for example to 15% and get the same amount of delay for the parallel version without having to switch back and forth between the two to compare?Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 5.51.50 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 5.52.04 PM.png

Parallel effects should have the mix set to 100% always. Otherwise you are adding more dry signal which you absolutely do not want.

You adjust the "mix" of the delay when parallel with the Level control. You'll have to determine the setting that gets you a 15% mix when in series.

It's not that there's less delay in parallel. There'd just more dry signal. The way to fix that is to run mix at 100% when you're running in parallel. Then use the Delay block's Level parameter to set your mix.

Hey chris & Rex, really appreciate the quick response. I am running the Mix in parallel at 100%. I'm adjusting the Input gain to try and achieve the same amount of delay as in serial.

Hey chris & Rex, really appreciate the quick response. I am running the Mix in parallel at 100%. I'm adjusting the Input gain to try and achieve the same amount of delay as in serial.
Just went thru this in this thread:
Split signal around the effect sometimes better?
Discussion in 'Axe-Fx II Discussion' started by Unicorn62, Apr 13, 2017.

It was determined that there is no difference in sound between parallel and series Delay!
You may find it interesting.

Okay, so you're not actually running both serial and parallel delays at 15% mix? If one way sounds like less delay than the other way, then you're not actually achieving the same delay mix. By definition. :)

Delay or reverb at 100% wet in parallel with a shunt gives you a 50% total mix. Input gain adjustments will reduce the mix from there. Divide the input gain setting by 2 to get the new total mix.

Edit: Wrong formula see below.

Last edited:
Delay or reverb at 100% wet in parallel with a shunt gives you a 50% total mix. Input gain adjustments will reduce the mix from there. Divide the input gain setting by 2 to get the new total mix.
Which means.....set the 'Input Gain' to 30% to equal the (series)15% mix. Although in your example, there is no advantage in going parallel.

BTW........set your bypass mode to 'Mute Fx In'

Actually I was mistaken. Dividing by 2 is for changing the mix of a block in parallel. Input gain in a parallel block set to 100% mix is a bit more complex.

Calculation would be the reciprocal of (100+i)/i where i is the Input Gain percentage setting.

For example input volume at 50% would give you (100+50)/50 = 150/50 = 3. Reciprocal of 3 = 1/3 = 0.333333 or 33.3333% total mix.

Last edited:
I’m confused, my original question was how do I get the parallel delay block to sound the same as the serial delay block that is set to 15%. They are two separate presets.

On the parallel I have the Mix set to 100%, do I set Input gain to 15% and adjust Level to be the same as the other preset? Or do I raise the Input gain and leave Level at 0.0dB?

Which means.....set the 'Input Gain' to 30% to equal the (series)15% mix. Although in your example, there is no advantage in going parallel.

BTW........set your bypass mode to 'Mute Fx In'
Hey Moke, I'm also using another Delay block in parallel, I didn't show the entire preset, just trying to understand how it works. thanks for the tip on set your bypass mode to 'Mute Fx In'

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 10.03.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 10.03.06 PM.png
    253.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I’m confused, my original question was how do I get the parallel delay block to sound the same as the serial delay block that is set to 15%.
The simplest technically-correct answer: set the parallel delay block to 100% mix, and set its level to -8.2 dB (which is 15% of 0 dB).

The practical answer: Set it so it sounds like you want it to sound. The actual number is irrelevant. You'll never say, "Man, that delay sounds right! Wait a minute...it doesn't say 15%. I don't like it anymore." :)

Back
Top Bottom