Why do I suck at using the AXE 2 as an interface?

What do you mean "problem"? Set your DAW session to 48k and go...

As far as the sound, make sure you have USB Return Level turned up.

I changed it 48 and it's fine but I can't get my mix play back to sound correct or good. I also can't figure out how to play my guitar track over superior drummer. Idk if I'm having wrong global setting or what. I'm also hooking my mackie monitors to the axe fx 2.

I'm also hooking my mackie monitors to the axe fx 2.

That might be your first mistake. I would recommend getting a FocusRite Scarlette 2i2 and hooking up your AxeFx through that and then hooking up your FocusRite directly to your computer. In non-technical terms, if you use the AxeFx as your Audio Interface and amp, some funkiness may arise.

That might be your first mistake. I would recommend getting a FocusRite Scarlette 2i2 and hooking up your AxeFx through that and then hooking up your FocusRite directly to your computer. In non-technical terms, if you use the AxeFx as your Audio Interface and amp, some funkiness may arise.
I'm curious why you say that?

I've never heard that before, and I've encountered no issues using my Axe Fx as my interface.

I'm curious why you say that?

I've never heard that before, and I've encountered no issues using my Axe Fx as my interface.
I second this, I've used my Axe as an interface and my amp on both a powerful computer and a very weak computer with equally excellent results. If anything, using the Axe as both eliminates the need to compensate for latency, as that's all handled for you.

I'd investigate making sure you're using ASIO drivers, as I've had the best luck with those. I run the Axe as my primary audio interface both for recording and for practice, and have had no issues at all.

I couldn't agree more with you right now.

You don't need the scarlet. Playback should be ok through the axe fx the way you have it.

One step at a time.
I changed it 48 and it's fine but I can't get my mix play back to sound correct or good.

What exactly does it sound like when you play the recorded track back? You say "It's fine" but also that its not in the same sentence. What is wrong with it? Are you on Windows or Mac, what DAW are you using? Give us more info and maybe we can help get it set up.

You don't need the scarlet. Playback should be ok through the axe fx the way you have it.

One step at a time.

What exactly does it sound like when you play the recorded track back? You say "It's fine" but also that its not in the same sentence. What is wrong with it? Are you on Windows or Mac, what DAW are you using? Give us more info and maybe we can help get it set up.
Okay I'm using a Mac and also Studio One professional. I go to my I/O setting and change my main output source from analog to USB. Analog allows me to just hear guitar but the USB allows me to hear everything but it sounds like I'm listening to it through an old radio.

I second this, I've used my Axe as an interface and my amp on both a powerful computer and a very weak computer with equally excellent results. If anything, using the Axe as both eliminates the need to compensate for latency, as that's all handled for you.

I'd investigate making sure you're using ASIO drivers, as I've had the best luck with those. I run the Axe as my primary audio interface both for recording and for practice, and have had no issues at all.
What are ASIO drivers?

You can read about ASIO here for some background info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Stream_Input/Output
Basically they're like generic drivers for USB audio interfaces. They allow you to tweak things like buffer size to lower latency along with other stuff.
I wouldn't sweat the details of all that just yet though. If you've tried USB and it sounds crappy it might be that that buffer size for the drivers you're using are set too low.
Maybe Studio One allows you to tweak that buffer setting somewhere in the I/O section.

Then again, you mentioned OUTPUT source, so if I'm understanding things right, the signal chain is: guitar -> AxeFX -> Mac and Studio One Pro is your DAW. Right? Where are your
monitors connected? Do you have a mixer or another USB interface from Presonus?

Put another way, I use Cubase, I have a Mackie Onyx Blackjack as well along with the AxeFX. My routing is: guitar -> AxeFX -> Mackie Input L&R, Mackie Output L&R -> JBL Monitors.
Both my AxeFX and the Onyx are hooked up to my computer. It might not be the "best" way or the "right" way or the simplest, but it works fine for me. I can hear my Axe through my
monitors just fine and when I want to record I can do so with no issues.

I think we need more info on how things are setup to help troubleshoot your issues.

Ok lets go back to the beginning to isolate the problem. If you set the sound card on your mac as the axe FX (system preferences->sound - set it as the input and output device), leave the Main input source setting on the axe to Analog, and then play a track through iTunes or youtube or whatever you should hear it through you monitors as clear as day. Is that working for you?

On the axe fx, if you set the input source to USB it will route the incoming signal through the amps and FX, if you're listening back to full tracks/drums etc then you don't want that. It's only for re-amping. If you leave it as Analog, the incoming USB signal is routed straight to the axe fx outputs, which as I understand are plugged into your monitors, so then you should hear unaffected audio in your monitors.

I go to my I/O setting and change my main output source from analog to USB. Analog allows me to just hear guitar but the USB allows me to hear everything but it sounds like I'm listening to it through an old radio.

No, don't do that! That's useful only for reamping.

Check the USB buffer meter in the Utility menu Status page. The bar should stay in the middle when streaming audio via USB. If it goes all the way to the top or bottom, you're getting buffer over or under flow. Adjust the USB buffer size in the I/O menu. The manual states that OSX may require higher than the default 1024 setting. Also check the USB Return Level in the I/O menu as well. Set it to something like -3 dB.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom