Mesa JP-2C and FX8 Question

I just received my FX8 and I am completely confused on setting up the MIDI changes. I am admittedly new to the whole MIDI thing as I've really only used pedals with my heads in the past. Is there a good tutorial video out there on setting this up? I've found trying to decipher the steps needed in the JP2C manual and FX8 manual to be like reading Greek written in Chinese. I know it's probably ridiculously easy and straight forward and I'm going to feel completely dumb when someone explains it, but I am kind of getting frustrated with it.

I don't have my FX8 and JP2C yet. But Roxy said:
"Exactly, I think the JP-2C has an identical MIDI feature set. I just go into FX8 Configuration, scroll down to the PC (program change, 1-127) [on MESA, Bank 1) and turn the dial until the amp features I want are all selected. Save on"

I got it worked out, and actually that is what I had been trying. I guess it helps when you realize you had both ends of the MIDI cable going through the Out/Thru. DOH! :p

I have a question and I'm pretty sure this is easy. How can I put my FX8 into preset mode? Meaning I want for scene one to have drive and just gate on for my rhythm. Scene 2 my clean channel with comp, Reverb, Cho and delay. Scene 3 my lead channel with drive, delay and Reverb. So basically is one switch and those effects are on an running. Right now I'm in a stomp box- type mode, where I can select the scene and can shut off and turn on effects individually. I want presets where each scene has the effects I want on. I don't want the tap dancing. No need to explain the amp channel part. I need to buy a TRS cable for my amp. I just want to know how to get into a regular preset mode.

Pretty much similar to how a Ground Control Pro works where the bottom 4 switches are your presets and the other 8 were the instant access. I just want it like the bottom 4 switches on the GCP

You can setup each scene to jump to a different channel. So it would be F2 then select scene button. Then you could have scene 1 be clean channel (This is done in Config menu) and all your desired effects. Scene two drive channel etc, etc. with scenes doing channel switching on amp it is like getting 8 presets instead of scenes with the same channel and effects over and over.

I'm not worrying about the channels of the amp at the moment. I basically just want the scene switches to be different presets and not stomp boxes. So right now when I go to a scene like scene 1 for an example, the effects being used show up on the screen then when I press scene or switch 2 it just shuts off the effect in that loop. I know you have to select F1 in order to change scenes but I don't want to do that. I want each foot switch to be a different preset. I don't want the tap dancing.

Exactly, I think the JP-2C has an identical MIDI feature set. I just go into FX8 Configuration, scroll down to the PC (program change, 1-127) [on MESA, Bank 1) and turn the dial until the amp features I want are all selected. Save on FX8. - Done.

With the JP-2C, every mini toggle (EQ, Shred, Reverb, FX Loop) can all be assigned and controlled via the FX8. It's absolutely incredible, so easy to setup, and sounds amazing. The dream setup I've wanted for years.
So basically just plug the midi cable into the JP2C and FX8 and go to config on FX8 preset? No need to select a midi channel on the JP2C?

So basically just plug the midi cable into the JP2C and FX8 and go to config on FX8 preset? No need to select a midi channel on the JP2C?
Correct, I leave all of the MIDI mini toggle switches on on the midi setting. You can save from the amp, but don't need to. Anything you change and save via the amp will be saved to the amp. Either method will work.

Correct, I leave all of the MIDI mini toggle switches on on the midi setting. You can save from the amp, but don't need to. Anything you change and save via the amp will be saved to the amp. Either method will work.
Cool. Thanks! 1-127 is all the different amp feature combinations? Like GEQ1, Clean channel, no Reverb and Fx loop engaged would be a specific number between 1-127? I don't have the JP2C yet but Sweetwater is getting them in at the end of this week. ! Just wanted to be a head

Last edited:
Cool. Thanks! 1-127 is all the different amp feature combinations? Like GEQ1, Clean channel, no Reverb and Fx loop engaged would be a specific number between 1-127? I don't have the JP2C yet but Sweetwater is getting them in at the end of this week. ! Just wanted to be a head
Yes, the amp has two banks (one for PC and one bank for CC) each containing 0-127. I use bank one only. You can either locate the bank (channel & features) number you want, or alter and save those options to the JP-2C by saving to the JP-2C via the MIDI save switch on the back of the amp. Example, the JP-2C always fires up on channel 2 (bank 0). I bought my JP-2C from Sweetwater too. Awesome service!

Why do I have to be a sucker for flamed maple, abalone, and, most dangerously, sales? ETA Monday and I've already got my favorite presets programmed to send program changes.

Back
Top Bottom