Xitone wedge passive V30!

Tom Morris

Power User
Thanks to Mick of Xitone for hooking me up with two new 1x12 wedges. I installed my well broken in celestion V30/60 in them. Sound great and look dope as &^%$$. Im leaving speaker IR's on and taking the FX loop off the end of my fx chain then adding a Graphic EQ and in some presets a filter, Mesa boogie 2:90 into stereo Xitone heaven. Anyone else use this method and if so what do you add into the loop to fine tune your live amp?

I have two active Xitone wedges with Matrix power amps built into the enclosures. I love them! Fantastic sounding, lightweight, built tough. I keep cabinet modelling on, but I have (I think) Eminence speakers that are a bit more FRFR than your V30s.

So is your FX loop pre-Cab block? In other words, are you sending Cab to FOH and using V30s with out cab?

Tom and I set my AX8 up this way last weekend, cab modeling on goes to FOH and the Fx loop goes to the cab with V30's and power amp. We use the global EQ of FX loop to match the cab as close as we can to what comes out of the FOH ( P A ) cab modeling...sounds pretty massive and I like those Xitone cabs. Most of the bands we play songs to play V30's cabs anyway...

I have a 2x12 with a V30 and 75 mix...It was harder to fine tune. I think 2112 does this as well with a cab with V 30's.

Mike

Well, given most of my experiences with V30 cabs, I'd run some cab modeling and additional EQ as well, essentially to try to get them to sound like anything other than V30's LOL

That all said, if your trying to match the V30 loaded wedge to the sound of your FOH PA system, which does use cab modeling, why not just run something like a Xitone active wedge ? With as flat and accurate of reproduction it would provide, you'd be able to have the same signal going to FOH and your on-stage monitoring and it would sound pretty similar without extra steps to try to match it.

Sounds like your trying to EQ a V30 to sound like your FOH sound, no ?

Well, given most of my experiences with V30 cabs, I'd run some cab modeling and additional EQ as well, essentially to try to get them to sound like anything other than V30's LOL

That all said, if your trying to match the V30 loaded wedge to the sound of your FOH PA system, which does use cab modeling, why not just run something like a Xitone active wedge ? With as flat and accurate of reproduction it would provide, you'd be able to have the same signal going to FOH and your on-stage monitoring and it would sound pretty similar without extra steps to try to match it.

True...Tom can answer better than I can but personally I'm using what I have. I mainly play thru my studio monitors and I can throw a power amp and cab in the mix if I want...

Back on topic those Xitone cabs are pretty sweet !

Mike

My current live rig is AXE-FX II XL+ and I use XiTone Wedges as stage monitors. Although not popular my setup may not be popular, I use one IEM and the other ear is used to hear these live FRFR sounds from the cabs. The only problem I have ever had with these wedges is getting the FOH to sound as good as my stage XiTone wedges. We have a great sound system, but there is something about these wedges that just amazes me every time I play live or in rehearsal. I live in the same hometown as Mic and he has a real passion for making great cabs and wedges. They are road tough and I have never had a problem with a single wedge.

As a side note, Mic has come to our shows many times and always comes up and ask if there is anything he can do - he gets my feedback and it is always, I love my wedges and can I have a free one. He always says thanks so much and no!

I use one IEM and the other ear is used to hear these live FRFR

You know that is supposed to be a really bad thing to do, right?

You will turn the IEM up way louder to compensate than you would if you had both in. This can cause hearing damage...

Not trying to tell you what to do... Just making you aware of the risk.

You know that is supposed to be a really bad thing to do, right?

You will turn the IEM up way louder to compensate than you would if you had both in. This can cause hearing damage...

Not trying to tell you what to do... Just making you aware of the risk.

Yes - I have my hearing checked quarterly - I have one frequency that has been degraded in 35 years of playing. However, for my age, it is significantly better than my peer group... Thanks for the concern, that is why I get it checked... My point is the same, the wedge sounds awesome and we have a very low stage volume with only my wedges on the stage and not a single cab backline - so, the battle is with the drummer. There is no battle with the other players - no fighting for stage sound - everyone is IEM. So, my ears are kept to a minimum - but, ultimately, it would be up to the doctor...

There really is no age appropriate amount of hearing loss, though there is certainly some losses that aren't exactly surprising to see in specific groups of individuals, and to an extent, western society as a whole. Studies have demonstrated that individuals in very isolated groups that don't have things like iPods, guitar amps, Harley Davidson's etc, actually have very good hearing sensitivity across the range of testing thresholds even in advancing years. In western society though we tend to put a fair bit of wear and tear on our ears just from daily life, in addition to the noise exposure that can be received from military service, certain occupations, playing music etc.

I have quite a few patients ask if their hearing loss is "normal" for their age. The answer is that it is not unexpected, but having as much loss as another individual does not negate the effects of the loss. It would be like saying that since everyone else at a support group meeting for obese is overweight, its therefore normal to have an unhealthy BMI.

Tom and I set my AX8 up this way last weekend, cab modeling on goes to FOH and the Fx loop goes to the cab with V30's and power amp. We use the global EQ of FX loop to match the cab as close as we can to what comes out of the FOH ( P A ) cab modeling...sounds pretty massive and I like those Xitone cabs. Most of the bands we play songs to play V30's cabs anyway...

I have a 2x12 with a V30 and 75 mix...It was harder to fine tune. I think 2112 does this as well with a cab with V 30's.

Mike

Hey Mike question for you. When you set up patches do you use that same speaker sim cabinet for all your patches? I have a mesa tall recto cabinet that iv always loved the sound of so I try to set up all my patches with that cab simulated.

Setting up my patches I do with headphones at first. Then I check what I have set up in my small PA EV ZLX12p's with an 18" powered sub to further tweak whatever needs to be fixed to sound good in FOH. Then I mute AXE FX to FOH and concentrate on my power amp and cabs and match that as close to the FOH as I can. However i haven't played with a live drummer yet so keeping that in mind the amp and cab setup may need to be a little more mid heavy, we will see.

Last edited:
Hey Mike question for you. When you set up patches do you use that same speaker sim cabinet for all your patches? I have a mesa tall recto cabinet that iv always loved the sound of so I try to set up all my patches with that cab simulated.

Yes I do the cab sims are based on a Mesa or Marshall cab with V30's...The artist or bands I like to play use the same cabs . I play in drop C mostly...in that tuning V30's rule.

Those Xitone cabs yesterday had that thump just like your 4x12 that amazed me not to mention that they are very extremely well made. They push some air I was sitting right next to one !

Mike

We set mine up to match my cab a mix of V30 and 75 so I used that cab sim. I will take that 75 out and put in another V30. That combo sounded great with my Rack gear and my tube head....

That stuff is getting no love since I got the AX 8...it sounded fantastic thru your PA and Xitone yesterday.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom