[NOT A BUG] Axe FXII MkI + MFC MkIII Connection problems

dav9rock

I don't know if is a problem about the MFC or the AXE so, I post here the problem and hope to solve soon.

AXE FXII FW q7b2 (the problems there were even with the previous firmwares)
MFC FW 3.08

I had this problem several times in the last months on rehearsal room, during gigs and also at home. The last time was last Friday (S.Patrick's Day) during soundcheck.
The problem is the Timeout message on the MFC when I start the system.
The only good thing is that, when the system starts well, I can play all the gig without any other issues.

I use the MFC with midi connection (5 Pin) and his PSU.
The problem is that, sometimes in completely random situations, the MFC not want to be connected to the AXE.
When this happens, I have to try different Midi cables and many Axe and MFC restarts.
A the beginning of my Axe FX story, I used an Ethernet Cable (very good CAT5 cable bought on G66), but I've start to have Timeout problems since from the beginning so, rading on the forum, I switched to a 7 pins midi cable. It worked for a couple of gigs, but I had problems during a rehearsal and replacing it with a standard midi cable I assumed that the cable was broken.
So I started using only 5 pins midi cables. (6 or 9 meters lenght). After a couple of gigs I start to have again timeout issue only at the start of the system.

This is so frustrating 'cause at the moment I have to carry around a lot of midi cables (ten at the moment) to be sure to solve the problem without understand wich is the real problem.
I used various kind of midi cables... cheap, middle quality, standard quality, high end and studio very high end midi cable without success.
All of my cables are perfectly working, all checked with a tester.
The strange thing is that all works perfectly for hours when the MFC and the AXE start to work togheter. No other issues of bad connection.
Sometimes the blue midi cable is good, sometimes the red one, sometimes the cheap one, sometimes the very best midi cable on the market, sometimes the worst, sometimes the green and so on...
Lose 20 minutes every soundcheck or every rehearsal to find the right planets allignment is very frustrating.

What I can do? Hard reset? Check firmware? Divine invocations? Exorcism?

Is a simple midi connection with a lot of problems. I cannot think about an expensive rig with all this connection problems... considering that the I cannot use the LAN port beacause of Timeout error... the AXE MKI doesn't have FASLink (I've just ordered a XA-1 converter but I don't know if the LAN port on my axe works correctly)... remains the old good midi connection, but has problems also.

Update:
Today I received the XA-1 Faslink adapter. I have already tested and it works. Anyway the Timeout problem described in my old post (search for dav9rock axe-fx-name-time-out) remains the same.
Consider that I'm using a brand new CAT5 cable just bought only for test (other 40 euros gone trying to solve the timeout problem)

Action 1:
I've tried to reset the MFC (by pressing the #11 footswitch on start) but nothing has been solved.

Action2:
Then I tried to reinstall again the last firmware available on MFC but again nothing has changed.

Action 3:
Abandoning the idea of using the FASLink, I've just tried in this moment (in real time) the midi connection by the AXE and MFC having again the problem at startup of the MFC (AXE-FX NAME TIMEOUT). I used the same Midi cable just used to upload the MFC firmware.

Action 4:
I emptied the bag of cables that I carry around to gigs, to try them all and now the MFC works with ALL of them! Crazy things!
The funny thing is that the MFC works immediatly with these Midi cables without any power rebooting. Just unplug one, press a footswitch to have the Name Timeout message, plug another and the MFC restarts to work perfectly.
The last concert I had to try five of these midi cables before you get lucky.

Question 1:
FasLink or Ethercon connection why doesn't work correctly? The Name Timeout msg come out after a couple of preset and scene changes. Can be the Ethernet port on my AXE damaged?

Question 2:
Why some midi cables sometimes doesn't working even if are fine, and sometimes works correctly?

Is right to assume that the problem is in the MFC that has something wrong since the beginning?

I uploaded an image that describes well the situation!

Attachments

• IMG_4742.JPG
    IMG_4742.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 12
This is a long shot: it could be a ground loop. Try to see what happens if you use just the MFC and the Axe. No cases no nothing. Just plug them into the power socket and then use a MIDI cable. It's a very long shot, in my opinion this is more like a HW problem.

It sounds like something in the HW connectors on each side (Axe or MFC) is failing. When you unplug and replug stuff, you move the connector a little and either make everything work or not.

Probably it's just a matter of resoldering the connector in the MFC or the Axe. If I was in your shoes I'd call the support.

Thanks for help.

I use humfrees screws on my rack and anyway, on the rack there's only the AXE so I don't think can be a ground loop.
The Ethercon connection always had the same malfunction since from the beginnin without rack with the AXE alone on the desk and the MFC on the floor.
Anyway moving/touching the midi connector on the AXE or on the MFC when it works or not, doesn't have any effect so, I don't think is a connector problem.

I'm thinkin about an electronic problem on the MFC or AXE board because all connections have problems (Ethercon... FASLink... Midi).

I hope to at least understand where the problem is, if in the AXE or in MFC.

That’s a tough one to nail down for it can be either device.
I’m sure you thought of this, but I’ll state it anyway. Is there anyone around your area with either an Axe Fx or a MFC? This would take some of the guess work out of it. If not---

Suggestion: With the Axe Fx try preforming backups via midi and flying that back to the Axe Fx, and see if they go smooth. And even if it’s fine the first time around try it a few times with different cables. Same for the MFC. Basically shake it up a bit. See what fails and what does not.

Other things just in case they were forgotten.
When using the Ethercon port of the Axe effects weather its going to the MFC direct or the FasLink adapter, you are disconnecting the power supply for the MFC?

When experimenting between the different ports, you are telling the MFC what port to listen on?

John

That’s a tough one to nail down for it can be either device.
I’m sure you thought of this, but I’ll state it anyway. Is there anyone around your area with either an Axe Fx or a MFC? This would take some of the guess work out of it. If not---
Unfortunately in my area, I don't have any friend that is AXE FX user. I could ask to a recording studio that I know has an AXE FXII MKII in his equipment, but I don't know if is possible perform tests on it.

Suggestion: With the Axe Fx try preforming backups via midi and flying that back to the Axe Fx, and see if they go smooth. And even if it’s fine the first time around try it a few times with different cables. Same for the MFC. Basically shake it up a bit. See what fails and what does not.
I'll try even if this kind of tests needs time and good luck.

Other things just in case they were forgotten.
When using the Ethercon port of the Axe effects weather its going to the MFC direct or the FasLink adapter, you are disconnecting the power supply for the MFC?
When I use FasLink or Ethernet I don't connect the expernal PSU on the MFC. Only when I use the midi cable I use also the PSU.

When experimenting between the different ports, you are telling the MFC what port to listen on?
Sure

Update:

After have resetted for the second time the MFC, I haven't had more problems via 5-pin midi cable.
Even if the Ethernet connection still has problems (using both CAT5 cable of XA-1 adapter and XLR to FASLink Connection), same as before.

Now I've bought 5 brand new high quality 5-pin midi cables (Van Damme cable + neutrick connectors) and they work perfectly.
No problems at home or in rehearsal room for the moment and I hope that continues like this.

Back
Top Bottom