More thoughts on my experience with Kemper and Axefx II

My first post her and just wanted to say - what an awesome read for anyone (like myself) trying to decide. When on the FAS forum you are not afraid to give the Kemper credit it has to be fairly unbiased info.

I am pretty picky - as in a metal guy who doesn't like Mesa - and I've tried a lot of sims, though not Axe Fx or Kemper yet. From Guitar Rig 5 I have ONE useful lead tone and from the free "Le__" amps I can get a rhythm tone at least bearable. Stuff like Mercurial and BIAS; absolutely nothing!

I was almost convinced about Axe Fx until a buddy got a Kemper and I started to assess from the "other side". By now I am convinced the Kemper would be natural enough sounding unlike the products mentioned above, but I also think I would feel too limited for the exact reasons you all mention above.

Honestly, I have both (Axe FX II XL+ and Kemper) and I can tell you first-hand the issue regarding the tone controls on the Kemper not being consistent with the the real amp are completely overblown. I was one of the guys who chastised the Kemper for that reason, but after actually using (and later purchasing) one, I've completely changed my opinion.

At this point I am leaning towards AX8 because even if I would be too picky for the sims it would still be worth everything and more as a high end effects processor and midi controller. Maybe that's even the real stroke of genius from Cliff about the AX8.

You can't lose with the AX8 or KPA.

One question: I am currently using Two Notes C.A.B (no load box) speaker sims. How do the FAS speaker sims compare?

Quite favorably. What I like about the Two Notes cabs is that they have freely positional mics. I generally opt for the cabs in the Axe out of convenience, though.

I have both in my music room right now...I don't feel like the KPA is in the same ballpark...period. and yes, I have the Britt profiles. Have been completely underwhelmed.

Interesting read since I nearly bought the Kemper...till I saw thew B-stock sale on the XL+...for just a couple hundred more. I think I'd have always wondered what (how much processing power) I was giving up with the Kemper...So, I'll buy that one next.

...They're two different emulation technologies with similar end goals.

I get that. Originally I'd thought I'd go Kemper and profile my SF Dual Showman and modded Bassman and sell them off. Now, it's keep the Bassman and sell off the DSR, which is in a Twin Reverb cab & heavy for me now that I'm old. Think I can come close enough with Tonematch and spare my back. Plus, I get mad power and EFX with the XL+! Know anybody who wants an 11R?.....

nope, two brand new units, both updated to latest FW and loaded with the Britt profiles.

To say they're not in the same ballpark when there are countless blind tests that demonstrate myriad profiles sounding practically indistinguishable from the amp that the profile is based on suggests that it's not the KPA. To be completely honest, I've conducted a number of such tests, and no one I've ever tested has scored higher than chance. Now, maybe you don't care for the profiles you're using. That happens a lot, but that has more to do with not liking the taste of the profile creator than the capability of the unit.

Personally, I love both units but it's simply impossible to say they're not in the same ballpark unless the preset you're using is based on the exact same amp at the exact same settings using the same IR. Granted, you can use the same IR, but comparing amps will be tough because you often don't know which settings the profiler used and even then no two amps sound exactly alike.

Last edited:
I get that. Originally I'd thought I'd go Kemper and profile my SF Dual Showman and modded Bassman and sell them off. Now, it's keep the Bassman and sell off the DSR, which is in a Twin Reverb cab & heavy for me now that I'm old. Think I can come close enough with Tonematch and spare my back. Plus, I get mad power and EFX with the XL+! Know anybody who wants an 11R?.....

Tone Match is awesome. Like I said, you really can't go wrong with either unit. I love them both.

I've been using Fractal Gear for years now. It was such an AMAZING revelation in the beginning and just continues to impress. Cliff and the Fractal Team are AWESOME. I now own and gig with both Axe FX XL and AX8 rigs. Each for different uses.

I also had to get myself a Kemper a while back, after all the hub bub. Honestly, I found few profiles that I really liked. I've even bought a few from the "best" places. However, I did some profiling of MY amps, with MY cabs...the ones that I gig with. BOOM, I have that exact rig in the Kemper. If for that reason alone, the Kemper is cool. It is like taking a snapshot of MY rig with all my settings, my cabs....at the exact moment when I feel it sounds KILLER. That is a pretty cool trick.
I imagine that is what many people do with the Kemper and why it has such an appeal. They profile THEIR rigs at the moment when that rig sounds AMAZING. Now I may not like YOUR rig, or use different guitars, etc...but I sure as hell like my rig. Now, if anything were to happen to an amp I own, I have profiles of that amp sounding AWESOME.
All that said, I don't gig with a Kemper. I gig with my Axe FX XL and my AX8. Just find these to be more versatile and they sound FANTASTIC.

Anyway, there's no bad decision. Each tool is excellent for what it does.
If I only had to choose one, it would be Fractal every time. Versatility, effect quality, Axe-Edit, regular updates, I could go on.
Since I have options, I have a Kemper as well and I dig it for what it does. It's just NOT a replacement for anything Fractal. YMMV

Just my 2 cents...
The reason Kemper is off my list is because it's not a modeler.
Listen to the Krumar Mojo or the Yamaha CP4...modeling is starting to take over and deliver.

I've been in situations where I had two pieces of gear that were competitive. I owned one and a client had another - recording studio. I was very biased because I owned one of them. I expected mine to be superior. That's all I'm saying.It seems that he carefully didn't say they were both HIS. You know? It could be a rehearsal space where one guitar player has the Axe and the other has the Kemper.

I've been in situations where I had two pieces of gear that were competitive. I owned one and a client had another - recording studio. I was very biased because I owned one of them. I expected mine to be superior. That's all I'm saying.It seems that he carefully didn't say they were both HIS. You know? It could be a rehearsal space where one guitar player has the Axe and the other has the Kemper.

You could be right. I'm not sure.

i don't have a dog in the fight, I'm not getting paid by anyone to play their gear. I've been a loyal fractal user for years but if the KPA was as good or better I'd have no trouble saying so, I think it def makes more sense in some situations. I just honestly don't feel it sounds or responds anywhere near as good as the Axe....an opinion reinforced by my live experience with it today. I'm not writing it off, but I was 100% open to being swayed and it's just not there.

i don't have a dog in the fight, I'm not getting paid by anyone to play their gear. I've been a loyal fractal user for years but if the KPA was as good or better I'd have no trouble saying so, I think it def makes more sense in some situations. I just honestly don't feel it sounds or responds anywhere near as good as the Axe....an opinion reinforced by my live experience with it today. I'm not writing it off, but I was 100% open to being swayed and it's just not there.

I can't address the issue of live use, but when it comes to recording, that's another story. There are some things I think the Axe really excels at and which the KPA simply can't compete, like the Axe's massive versatility / flexibility, higher quality effects overall and Axe-Edit. But I've never felt the Kemper was lagging in the sound quality dept, and in some instances I think it sounds a bit more organic, but using them together has been the biggest Godsend for me.

This is an example of both being used together, with the Axe acting as the effects workhorse:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom