axe fx with wireless jack

I have triple driver iems now, interesting to get that perspective from someone who went from 3 to 12. Can you really hear that much more definition? i'm sure the cost was a lot, justified? can you elaborate a bit? thanks.
I think I've done ONE non-IEM gig in the last 3 yrs. It was strange.
Earlier this year I went from 4 to 8 drivers (customs) with the 4 driver having dual LF, 1 Mid and 1 HF driver to the 8 having 4 LF, 2 mid and 2 HF drivers
YES !! categorically better bass, mids and highs due to crossovers and that more BA drivers tends to give better quality.
My 8-driver buds use the ADEL tech (now called APEX) which has a "pneumatically interactive vent" [diaphragm] in each ear to equalize the ear canal pressure one gets from customs. Almost like an ambient port. There's a little less isolation with them compared to the 4-driver which does NOT have them.
I have few issues hearing other band members on stage.. and with a stereo mix I have full control over what I hear in the mix, and where I pan it.
I gig frequently, so the price > $1000 was worth it, and yes, the band got endorsing artist discounts on upgrades. Custom molds will give you far better "seal" than universal fit, but with an appropriate price increase.

BTW - I'M A HUGE PROPONENT of IEM's !!

One cheaper approach for customs is to check out the "for sale" items (used customs) on headfi dot org. You can get them at GREATLY reduced prices, then pay to have the vendor re-shell them ($200-350) to fit your ears. Can be significantly cheaper than buying new.

Oh, and to stay on topic.. I have never noticed any degradation in sound with wireless going into my Axe, and I have done 100's of gigs using a couple of different wireless units (AT, L6 and Senn) over the last 7 yrs.

The difference is quite dramatic I must say. Especially in the low - low mids (much cleaner at any level) and the top end. The biggest difference though i think is not in the 3 vs 12 driver, but it's in the universal fit vs custom fit. With my older iem's I just had guitar, vocals, sequence and click, everything else I could hear from the stage amps. Now I have drums and bass too, because they isolate that much that I can't hear the stage at all.
The way I see it, one spends countless $$$ on instruments/gear and countless hours programming it to make it sound as good as possible, in the end its all coming through your iem's, so they're just as important as your favorite guitar / amp / effects!
I got the 12 drivers cos I got a 20% artist endorsement discount, so I paid about 1300€ vs 1800$. Yet I think 6-8 drivers would be more than enough for 400-600$ less

my triples are custom's fit ones... might have to start saving my pennies for the 12's :) thanks a lot ;)

my triples are custom's fit ones... might have to start saving my pennies for the 12's :) thanks a lot ;)

Like I said, if I had to buy again after experiencing the 12 drivers, as a guitarist / backing singer I'd probably go for the 8 drivers (dual low, dual mid, quad hi). With the quad low I always find myself asking to cut the bass frequencies around 200-250hz in my iem mix. Luckily we have our own sound engineer, so he knows what I like to hear and does it automatically, but if I had to gig with a resident engineer I don't know how that would go!
And yes, stereo is a must!

I never thought before I could hear different in tone from different cable types. This proves cable has significant impact to the tone, at least it happened in that clip.
Cables can make an audible difference with high-impedance sources like passive guitar pickups. With low-impedance sources (line level, etc.), the performance of different cables is audibly and measurably identical.

Maybe try using a long cable between your wireless and axe as the hookup cable. This would server two purposes, if you have a problem at the gig with the wireless just unplug and go, and it would add some treble loss.
The wireless unit is a line-level source. A long cable will have no noticeable effect on treble response.

Yes. It is probably an important factor why the GLX-D sounds harsher, and needs to be compensated somewehere. The GLX-D should not sound weaker though. Did you check / replace the patch cable running between GLX-D and Axe-Fx?
Can you explain what you do to compensate the harsher sound when using the GLX-D?

The GLX-D doesn't sound harsher by itself, just in comparison to an 8 meter cable.

Reactions: Rex
Can you explain what you do to compensate the harsher sound when using the GLX-D?

I use the cable! I just have the wireless jack setup in the pedalboard and I use it for a few songs when I have to move around

That's the tough part - i rehearse most of the time with a cable but at so many gigs not having that cable tangling around my legs and gear is just worth any little tone difference. I may try the 1m+cap setting to see but the tone knob on my guitar is always being tweaked and thus I'll just lower it more with wireless than a cable I guess. I would love to compare L6 next to the shure though. That battery life and charging right in the unit is a HUGE plus though. Still if I noticed a difference it would eat at me too.

I use the cable! I just have the wireless jack setup in the pedalboard and I use it for a few songs when I have to move around
We move around a lot on stage; therefore wireless cums in handy (and I have to turn a lot less circles around our bassplayer when our cables are knothed again...)

You can play with EQ, or even just the amp's Treble and presence knobs. Or just dial in your tones using wireless.

For the short term, just roll off your guitar's tone knob a bit.

I agree! Recently I switched to a 10m (80pF/m) cable for the same reason.

This is what it does
View attachment 37272

When edo uses the mogami gold the response would be something similar to the black line, when using the wireless it will be about the same to the red or orange line
I've found that tonal differences between my Monster cable and my G90 are bigger with strats than Les Paul. I used the Black line as a guide in the parametric eq and it works very well. Less harsh, more body...

Back
Top Bottom