Mesa JP-2C and FX8 Question

Izzwardo

Inspired
Hey guys I am not all that familiar with setting up my FX8 with my Mesa JP2C and I looked for topics on this but I could not find info. I am wanting to set up relays so I can do away with my foot switch. My question is the relay on the FX8 is 1/4" jack but the foot switch cable on my amp is a 7 prong cable. How do I connect the 2 and also this amp has midi. I am just really stumped and frustrated because I can't figure out how to set this up. Please help.

typically you will need to match the MIDI channels of the FX8 and JP-2C so they communicate and then send the channel change etc via the FX8 (5 pin MIDI cable from FX8 to MIDI in of Mesa). CC commands that are in the Mesa manual as to what function is assigned to each CC command (Page 29 )

Thanks i appreciate it. I'll have to get a midi cable and give it a try. This is all new to me I love it but just need to get familiar with it. Thanks!

MIDI is the way to go!
Did this for a friend of mine months ago, with the same exact setup.

Pages 24-31 of the JP-2C manual have everything you need. I set up my FX8 to send MIDI program changes with each scene in about 30 seconds with FX8 Edit--it's a breeze. Now I just need to buy the JP-2C...

Ok so I finally got it figured out now my next question is can I assign footswitches F1 for clean, F2 for Dirty, and F3 for lead or do I have to use Footswitches 1-8 for channel switching? It would be real nice if I could use the F switches to change my amp channels

Function switches are meant for other things. I’m guessing you need to review the manual.

As far as I set it up for my friend I kept it simple. Go to page 31 in the manual for the amp, this is the center of the universe. I am going to assume you are the original owner of the amp and also you have not messed with storing midi info on the amp itself. In other words everything is factory default.

Look at the table in the manual you need only be concerned with numbers 1 through 16.

Example:

You want CH1 + EQ2 that would be 3

You want CH3 + EQ1 that would be 14

You want CH2 + EQ1 + Shred that would be 5 (and so on)

The numbers on page 31 of the manual are PC #’s (Program Change)

When you create a preset with the FX8 you can send a PC message to the JP head and it will change channels according, this can also be done with scene’s

John

I just setup my first preset for the JP-2C. I had to read both manuals and experiment for awhile to figure it out. Now, it's easy. I didn't even have to touch the MIDI section on the back of the amp. From the configuration page, go to the PC # and turn the value dial to select the channel and features you wish to have built into your scene. For example, #15 is Channel 1 with the loop engaged (always have the loop engaged for 4CM). I assigned scenes 1, 2 ,and 3 to select channels 1, 2, and 3 on the amp. I assigned button 4 to MID and it toggles the shred mode on/off for any scene. The top row 4-8 I'll assign to FX that I wish to toggle on/off, and assign X/Y switching. I leave all of the MESA front panel mini toggles on MD. I have the wah setup to engage like a Morley (heel off). This is all just for preset A1. I plan to build other presets that will toggle the GEQs, tube reverb, etc. to take full advantage of the amp. Checkout Dustie Waring's demoes on the MESA YouTube page. He gets some great JP-2C tones with the GEQ off (which I didn't think was possible). I picked up my preset building ideas after watching the Petrucci stage demoes and trying to emulate how he was triggering FX & amp features with his MIDI controller.
The FX8 is amazing! I've wanted a setup like this for several years. For me, it makes stomp boxes obsolete. I'm getting everything out of this unit.

Now, off to do similar work for the AX8...

My first post ever........ Im thinking of purchasing an FX8 to replace my pedalboard. I have a new Mesa Triple Crown Head and it has a 6 button footswitch which connects to the head via a 6 Pin DIN Cable. The mesa also has a 5 pin MIDI In, and MIDI Thru/Out. AM i able to replace the functions of the Mesa Footswitch with the FX8? Im guessing I would just have to run a MIDI cable out of the FX8 into the Mesa Head. The way im envisioning using this is to be able to press a button, and have the effects I've selected, and the amp settings I want ( FXLoop in/out, channel, reverb, solo) selected with the one button. Very new to this MIDI stuff so pardon if this has been covered else where...

Exactly, I think the JP-2C has an identical MIDI feature set. I just go into FX8 Configuration, scroll down to the PC (program change, 1-127) [on MESA, Bank 1) and turn the dial until the amp features I want are all selected. Save on FX8. - Done.

With the JP-2C, every mini toggle (EQ, Shred, Reverb, FX Loop) can all be assigned and controlled via the FX8. It's absolutely incredible, so easy to setup, and sounds amazing. The dream setup I've wanted for years.

Exactly, I think the JP-2C has an identical MIDI feature set. I just go into FX8 Configuration, scroll down to the PC (program change, 1-127) [on MESA, Bank 1) and turn the dial until the amp features I want are all selected. Save on FX8. - Done.

With the JP-2C, every mini toggle (EQ, Shred, Reverb, FX Loop) can all be assigned and controlled via the FX8. It's absolutely incredible, so easy to setup, and sounds amazing. The dream setup I've wanted for years.

can the AX8 do the same...

Wow this is a dream come true finding this thread. I just ordered my FX8 tonight to play with my JP2C. I can't wait to set it up and was hoping I'd find someone with the same setup to lead the way. Now I can spend less time flipping pages in a manual and more time playing with the FX8 and JP2C!

My first post ever........ Im thinking of purchasing an FX8 to replace my pedalboard. I have a new Mesa Triple Crown Head and it has a 6 button footswitch which connects to the head via a 6 Pin DIN Cable. The mesa also has a 5 pin MIDI In, and MIDI Thru/Out. AM i able to replace the functions of the Mesa Footswitch with the FX8? Im guessing I would just have to run a MIDI cable out of the FX8 into the Mesa Head. The way im envisioning using this is to be able to press a button, and have the effects I've selected, and the amp settings I want ( FXLoop in/out, channel, reverb, solo) selected with the one button. Very new to this MIDI stuff so pardon if this has been covered else where...

I have the Mesa TC50 and use it 4CM with Axe Fx II XL. Assign the Mesa to all on the midi dial on back(comes stock to this setting...but check) and then set the FX8 to Omni for midi. Then select what you want on Mesa on or off....then just flip the midi switch on the back of Mesa and it saves to the preset channel. Awesome amp and rig!

I'm actually getting an FX8 in a few days to replace my 5150 stealth and the JP2C (within a few weeks). How's the gate on the FX8 when play on the lead channel or high gain through the amp? I don't plan on using ODs just yet. Just wanted to know if the gate can handle high gain at loud volumes.

I'm actually getting an FX8 in a few days to replace my 5150 stealth and the JP2C (within a few weeks). How's the gate on the FX8 when play on the lead channel or high gain through the amp? I don't plan on using ODs just yet. Just wanted to know if the gate can handle high gain at loud volumes.

The gate works great. You won't have a problem clamping things down at all.

Back
Top Bottom