Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.01 Firmware Release

not too crazy about the optical comps up front (makes things too dark and squishy for my liking) but i havent really built a sound with the comp set from the get go so that could change. I also havent tried after the amp which is where im used to hearing it so it has that going for it as well. the shimmer driver on the other hand, oh man the shimmer drive...definitely a new fav

MK II owners should not have to do anything with deselection/reselection of amp model blocks to get the newest parameters since we don't have previous versions, correct? Am I missing something?
There's a popular misconception going around.

People are under the impression that reselecting the amp changes the modeling version. It doesn't. It only changes the amp's parameters to match the new default values that go with the new modeling version. It's still advisable to reselect the amp when the release notes suggest doing it.

Dear Cliff and Fractal Team ~ *Thanks so much* for these incredible updates! It's truly amazing how the best keeps getting better, and the fluff keeps falling furthur behind. Keep blazing your righteous path into the future as we all fasten our seat belts!

Thanks Cliff and your team. This FW (7.01) is simply the best and it runs on AxeFx II. Wonderful job.

Those optical compressors do an amazing job turning an average sound into something really sweet. I have used a compressor block as the last one in most presets I have using optical 2. The Emphasis control is great to colour the sound from dark to light. Great work!

Last edited:
Absolutely LOVING the Shimmer Drive :)
Especially with low-gain amps. Smooth and balanced overdrive, as it should be!

I'm also finding it works well as a secondary distortion source- try having a slightly overdriven amp, and put the gain on the Shimmer Drive around 5 or so, then set the 'mix' knob on the drive block to around 30-40%. An old forum trick that continues to work well, giving an interesting texture to the distortion.

Man, I've got a gig Friday, but after that I've got a week before the next one. I suspect I'll be spending that week incorporating the Optical Comp(s) and Shimmer drive into a whole lot of my presets. I use compression on just about everything, and a lot of my Fender presets have a drive block in them. Looking forward to hearing this new magic Cliff has cooked up for us!

You guys are on fire!
Thanks
Pauly

Mark I/II:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/7.0/AxeFx2_Quantum_7p01.zip

XL:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/7.0/AxeFx2_XL_Quantum_7p01.zip

XL+:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/7.0/AxeFx2_XLplus_Quantum_7p01.zip

Axe-Fx II Quantum Firmware Release Notes

Added two new “Optical” types to Compressor block. The Optical 1 type is based on classic optical tube compressors famed for their smooth sound. Use before the Amp block to smooth out your licks and increase sustain. Use after the Amp block for instant “Hit Record” sound. The Optical 2 type is similar to Optical 1 but uses a true RMS detector.

Added Input Level switch to Pedal and Optical types in Compressor block. Use “Instrument” when compressor is placed before Amp block. Use “Line” when compressor is placed after.

Added “Shimmer Drive” type to Drive block.

Reduced output level of “Brit AFS100” amp models.

Fixed Amp block “Crunch” value not saving.

Fixed bug where certain Amp parameters not loading properly when using Global Blocks.

Fixed bug where older presets may cause the Amp block to initialize with invalid parameter values potentially causing lockups.

NOTE: Due to the overwhelmingly positive response to Quantum 7.00 support for previous modeling versions has been eliminated. This frees up memory for new features (like the new compressor types), new amps, new cabs and more.

Beautiful clean sound. But I cant really hear much of a difference between the 2 clips.

Thanks dude !, yeah differences shouldn't be a lot between two clip as you know the Optical 2 has a RMS detector but if I want to say some words about differences well I would say the second one has a little bit more brighter, crystaly, sparkly character than to the first one but you can feel it a lot more under your fingers when you're A/B-ing em.

Really loving the Shimmer Drive.. Nice job FAS !!! play with the high cut and you can get some killer tones... I'll use that all day:D

For me - Gutted to have lost the ability to roll the modeling firmware version back, this is a feature I use all the time. I do like to move forward and try to use the latest firmware with anything new I create, but love some of the old firmware tones I have too - and after 100's of hours trying, just cant get the tone I'm after with the new modeling version, so I leave well alone.

For me (and I'm possible in the minority here?) I would have really liked to have stuck with Q7 but had the bugs fixed.
I have an XL, and have lots of space left for IR's which I dont need, I recon I only use maybe 25 maximum 30 IR's...And If in future, I may need to swap an IR from my backup/storage on my computer, then its easy to do.

Thinking long term with the product, and with Memory in mind as new firmwares / Amps / Cabs and pedals are introduced, would it be possible to introduce bug fixes and general firmware separate, then amp's cabs and pedals separate, and users upload them from file into the AXE as and when required by the user? After all this is how most things which require digital memory work nowdays :) At least in my domain they do.. Mobile phones, laptops, computers, cameras programs, using apps, photos, videos, music etc

Sorry to put a little bit of a downer on the firmware thread - I do really love this product, but I know I'm going to have to lose some tones which I have worked extremely hard and long for :oops:

Back
Top Bottom