Just diving in, and have a few questions

Eric Vandervort

Hi, new here. I'm starting to dive into using the axe fx ii, and I'm curious about a few things. My configuration is L/R out of Axe FX into a Scarlett 2i2 via XLR, and the Scarlett via USB into my iMac. The 2i2 is connected to my JBL-305s and that's how I monitor.

1. When downloading presets from Axe-Change, the output level is not consistent, most of which produce clipping on the Scarlett. I'm not exactly sure which level to adjust, would that be the Level in the Mixer section of Axe-Edit? I'm constantly adjusting the axe output, 2i2 input gain, and 2i2 volumes. I did go through setting the input/output levels setup.

2. A few presets required a specific OwnHammer cab, and as I starting searching around, I noticed a few mentions that there exists a few package of IRs from OwnHammer, however, I can't seem to find any searching the net. Is this right, and if so, how can I find these IRs? I'm more than happy to pay, but I'd like to try free ones first if possible.

3. I read or heard the first thing one should do is turn the high-cut down on the delays/reverbs, is this true? Are there any other settings that should be set when first starting to use the axe fx?

I think that's all. Thanks!

Eric

I recommend normalizing all your presets internally using the vu meter as a reference. The amp block output level is a good place to do the internal adjustment. Once all your presets are zeroed they should all behave similar and then you can set the output level with the front panel knob.

Here is a link to Ownhammer
http://www.ownhammer.com/store/
Some of these need to be converted before you can use them in the axe. Fractal also has cab packs you can buy.

Prepare yourself for disappointment with the preset exchange... Well at least temper your expectations. Variations in guitars, speakers, power amps, etc make many of them unusable to any without the exact setup. The only way to get the best out of the Axe is learn how to dial it in yourself. There's a lot to it but it's a good fun journey.

1. When downloading presets from Axe-Change, the output level is not consistent, most of which produce clipping on the Scarlett. I'm not exactly sure which level to adjust, would that be the Level in the Mixer section of Axe-Edit? I'm constantly adjusting the axe output, 2i2 input gain, and 2i2 volumes. I did go through setting the input/output levels setup.
Everybody has different guitars, pickups, etc. That's why volume levels will be all over the place when you try other people's presets. Changing the output level in the amp block or at the output (all the way to the right on the grid) would probably be the most common places to adjust volume.

In addition to what others have already said, I would recommend cutting the lows from your reverbs and delays more than the highs - although i usually end up with a bandpass setting (cutting the lows and highs) the low frequencies will muddy up the sound much more than the high ones, especially when playing along with other instruments or backing.

If your scarlet interface is clipping then turn down the Axe output 1 volume on the front. You should play your loudest axe sound and set your interface's input gain so that it doesn't clip. If you see red clipping lights on the front of the Axe turn down the level of the amp, one of the blocks or the output on the preset which is different to the output knob on the front of the unit. You should really balance your preset levels relative to each other as Tahoebrian5 said already, then if you've set the input gain not too high on the scarlet you won't ever get any clipping there. The Axe is a bit of a beast and pumps out a lot of volume so you shouldn't ever need the gain to be very high on your interface.

Here is a link to Ownhammer
http://www.ownhammer.com/store/
Some of these need to be converted before you can use them in the axe. Fractal also has cab packs you can buy.

Prepare yourself for disappointment with the preset exchange... Well at least temper your expectations. Variations in guitars, speakers, power amps, etc make many of them unusable to any without the exact setup. The only way to get the best out of the Axe is learn how to dial it in yourself. There's a lot to it but it's a good fun journey.

Threadnapping alert.
I bought the heavy hitters ownhammer pack.
I copied the factual IRs to the Axe fx but realised they were just high res, not ultra res.
I have the raw files both 200ms and 500ms.
Would I be right to take the 200ms files and batch process them with auto trim in cab lab to get the best ultra res experience?

Last edited:
Threadnapping alert.
I bought the heavy hitters ownhammer pack.
I copied the factual IRs to the Axe fx but realised they were just high res, not ultra res.
I have the raw files both 200ms and 500ms.
Would I be right to take the 200ms files and batch process them with auto trim in cab lab to get the best ultra res experience?
When you bought the pack, there should have been a link to a dedicated Zip file for Fractal products. Take those and convert them with Cab Lab.

I am almost positive I did do that and they came out as high res not ultra res.
Am I required to tick mpt or auto trim or neither?

I am almost positive I did do that and they came out as high res not ultra res.
Am I required to tick mpt or auto trim or neither?
The filename should have been Heavy-Hitters_Fractal.zip. If you got the 200ms and 500ms files, then you downloaded the wrong file. (See attached image)

And yes, they will appear to be just high res and not ultra res if you drag the WAV files into Axe-Edit without converting them with Cab Lab first.

As for MPT and auto trim, I don't check either. I think Kevin offers his own advice on the subject somewhere in this thread. I think you only want to do MPT if you will be mixing these IRs with other cab packs you may purchase to avoid phase issues IIRC.

Hope that helps. :)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    143 KB · Views: 7
I haven't checked out the HH pack, yet, so I can't specifically help there.

If you're converting with CabLab, you can check the "IR Format" box for UltraRes or Standard.

Back
Top Bottom