JP-2C with AX8 or FX8

Hyperion88

I already have a Mesa Boogie JP-2C ( Midi capable), and I recently sold my AX FX II (Mark I). I am right now in the market for a new Fractal product, however I would like to mostly use my JP-2C with some added effects, and from time to time perhaps use some amp modeling. I know that if I chose the FX 8 I would be forgoing the amp modeling. My questions are:

1) How true is the bypass signal on the AX 8 ( 4 CM) compared to the FX8 ( I know the FX 8 has higher quality components for this specific matter) ?

2) Would I be able to program the AX 8 to switch channels on my JP-2C ( including the shred function) ?

3) Would I be able to use scenes on the AX 8 while in 4CM with my amp?

Thank you,

Bruno.

Hey Bruno - I am a tried and true Mesa guy myself. I own a Mark 2C+ as well as a Mark 5. However, I actually find myself using the AX8 modeled amps more often than not. The AX8 is so damn close - both in feel and in tone. It's scary. I've used the unit In 4cm only sparingly and had no issues. Its really only a matter of setting the levels, gate etc. Scenes work as per usual. The only differences are the lack of an amp and cab block in the chain. Scenes could be a very useful in 4cm in my opinion. I've pondered the same questions as you and wonder sometimes about FX8 comparison. I am however VERY happy with my current setup and probably don't want to go down that rabbit hole. Next thing I know I would be taking out my giant refrigerator rack and doing a dual amp setup with both the FX8 the AX8, a large pedalboard and a kazillion fuzz pedals. Call that the "48 cable method". It almost seems like a good idea until I look at my AX8 and realize that little box can get me everything I want and be held in one hand en route to gigs/jam sessions...

I would recommend the FX8. It's plug & play with the JP-2C. The AX8 will take additional work, and the I/O isn't as ideal. I couldn't be happier with the FX8/JP-2C combo. I use each for their intended applications. No issues. Great tones from both!

1. The FX8 would be better, some amps are noisy with the AX8, and some are hum free.
2. You would have to use midi with the AX8, the FX8 has amp channel switching built in
3. Yes, scenes can be used with 4CM

I would recommend the FX8. It's plug & play with the JP-2C. The AX8 will take additional work, and the I/O isn't as ideal. I couldn't be happier with the FX8/JP-2C combo. I use each for their intended applications. No issues. Great tones from both!

Do you use the "shred" function with your JP-2C? Can the FX8 control the amp via Midi as well?

Thank you,

1. The FX8 would be better, some amps are noisy with the AX8, and some are hum free.
2. You would have to use midi with the AX8, the FX8 has amp channel switching built in
3. Yes, scenes can be used with 4CM

Wouldn't I have to use Midi with the FX8 as well, if I wanted to use "shred" with the JP-2C?

Thanks,

Hey Bruno - I am a tried and true Mesa guy myself. I own a Mark 2C+ as well as a Mark 5. However, I actually find myself using the AX8 modeled amps more often than not. The AX8 is so damn close - both in feel and in tone. It's scary. I've used the unit In 4cm only sparingly and had no issues. Its really only a matter of setting the levels, gate etc. Scenes work as per usual. The only differences are the lack of an amp and cab block in the chain. Scenes could be a very useful in 4cm in my opinion. I've pondered the same questions as you and wonder sometimes about FX8 comparison. I am however VERY happy with my current setup and probably don't want to go down that rabbit hole. Next thing I know I would be taking out my giant refrigerator rack and doing a dual amp setup with both the FX8 the AX8, a large pedalboard and a kazillion fuzz pedals. Call that the "48 cable method". It almost seems like a good idea until I look at my AX8 and realize that little box can get me everything I want and be held in one hand en route to gigs/jam sessions...

When you used your tube amps with the AX8 in 4CM, did you feel that the tone of the amp got altered in any way?

Was the noise level more acceptable than the AXE FX II (Mark I) ?

Thanks,

Do you use the "shred" function with your JP-2C? Can the FX8 control the amp via Midi as well?

Thank you,
Yes, The FX8 can control any mini toggle switch on the JP-2C. I assign the Shred mode to a MID (MIDI) block and toggle on/off with ease. It's awesome. Much better control than the JP-2C Footswitch can offer.

When you used your tube amps with the AX8 in 4CM, did you feel that the tone of the amp got altered in any way?

Was the noise level more acceptable than the AXE FX II (Mark I) ?

Thanks,
I can't speak to the comparison with the Axe FX 2 as I have not used one. The noise level with the AX8 in 4CM was negligible. However I hear tell that the FX8 is superior in this regard. If you plan on only using the fx in the AX8 the FX8 is the way to go. Sounds like it was designed EXACTLY for what your goals are. That's just one man's opinion...

I didn't spend much time trying to use the AX8 with the JP-2C, but when I did the tone of the amp sounded muffled. So, I bought the FX8 for that application, and it works perfectly out of the box. If I were you, I'd get the FX8 while it's on sale, and maybe the AX8 later if you need a modeling setup.

I didn't spend much time trying to use the AX8 with the JP-2C, but when I did the tone of the amp sounded muffled. So, I bought the FX8 for that application, and it works perfectly out of the box. If I were you, I'd get the FX8 while it's on sale, and maybe the AX8 later if you need a modeling setup.

Thanks for the information given. I actually already ordered the FX 8 yesterday. Would you recommend the humbuster cables for the 4cm, or would regular 1/4" cables do the job?

Thanks for the information given. I actually already ordered the FX 8 yesterday. Would you recommend the humbuster cables for the 4cm, or would regular 1/4" cables do the job?
I bought two Humbuster Cables. No hum or noise issues. The system is very quiet. I never tried standard instrument cables for the (4CM). I have the Amp & FX8 plugged into a studio floor model Furman Power Conditioner. Congrats! You'll love the JP-2C & FX8 combo!

Back
Top Bottom