Studio Monitor Frustration!

I have some krk rp6 and I like them but I'm think about changing. I wouldn't go lower than 6" to be honest.

I'm finding acoustic treatment does indeed help and with some room correction eq or IR from Room EQ Wizard you can get something better than what you had before.
Thing is i heat my room that's about 13"-11" is too small to do anything with in terms of treatment but I have to put up with it and I know I'm not going to get perfection.

I was looking at the hs7s personally but I don't like the idea of a rear firing port because that would probably be worse than what I got now.

IMHO - replace the 50s with a pair of HS7 or better yet HS8 (I have both for different applications) and you'll be MUCH happier.

All comments around monitor correction and room correction/treatment apply but the 50s aren't flat. The 7's are much flatter and the 8's are almost dead flat (best bang for your buck). See if you can audition them at your local shop first - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

My 2 cents,

Rodney

Get Neumann KH 120 A's. Best thing i have ever listened through.

I gave up and sold mine.
Really was far from impressed- good sound- big sound for the size but far from Adams, Genelec...
And I still chose my Yamaha HS8's over it...

Speaking of which- I have had great results using HS8's with axe fx alone and recording.

I know they're similar but- I think the HS8 might be worth upgrade

I also wanted to add- the Neumann really sounded flattened- like it was just a song- rather than individual multi tracks...

My Yamaha HS8's i can feel and hear each track layered- like a true multi track recording- when mixing/tracking/etc- great for editing too

I am an axefx newbie and have never gigged it (yet), but my HS50's sound great; best i've tried so far, which is a yamaha msr400 and an art sla2 thru a 1960a with only 2 speakers, a g12h30 and vintage 30. They all sound good but the yammies sound the best.

I use Genelec 8040a's and love them. They were expensive. I remember at the time my second choice was the Adam A7's which were a good bit more affordable. Since then I got to here some of the Presonus monitors and thought they sounded pretty good - don't remember which. I think @Admin M@ or one of the other Fractal folks was using some Presonus monitors at one point.

+1 on the Equator D5's. Listen to music on them right now. Great monitors.

Hey Brad, how do the D8's compare to the D5's ?
After a few days , I am very pleased with the D8s. The imaging you are used to with d5s with much more balls. Don't think one can do much better for 700/pr...

The speakers are only ever half as important as the room you listen in. You should always spend as much on room treatment as you do on monitors (at least). If you do it right, you won't regret it!

The speakers are only ever half as important as the room you listen in. You should always spend as much on room treatment as you do on monitors (at least). If you do it right, you won't regret it!
This is why we need room modeling ASAP. Since the speaker cab is at least half your tone; the room must therefore be more than 100% of it, because cabs are at most half as important as the room as per the above.

This is why we need room modeling ASAP. Since the speaker cab is at least half your tone; the room must therefore be more than 100% of it, because cabs are at most half as important as the room as per the above.
I just started using the UAD Ocean Way Studios plugin in an AUX channel for some nice room ambience, as per a tip from James Santiago in a very cool video he made with Sweetwater touting the Tweed Deluxe sim that James created with UAD, the best amp sim I have heard outside our boxes, many of the tips he shares can be applied to our Tweed.
(Please forgive the slight derailment of thread...)

No.

While the problems solved by treating a room address the pressure buildup and frequency domain problems in the environment, room treatment also solves the problems that exist in the TIME domain in the form of reverberations that occur over time. Room modeling and "EQ correction" do not, and CANNOT, address the time domain problems that most rooms exhibit. Only room treatment or headphones will do that.

Apples and oranges.

No.

While the problems solved by treating a room address the pressure buildup and frequency domain problems in the environment, room treatment also solves the problems that exist in the TIME domain in the form of reverberations that occur over time. Room modeling and "EQ correction" do not, and CANNOT, address the time domain problems that most rooms exhibit. Only room treatment or headphones will do that.

Apples and oranges.
Man... No matter how clearly I feel I'm attempting silly hyperbolic humor some netters insist on reading it dead straight. Redo the 'math' in the post, note how I equate reference monitors to guitar cabs, the goofy sort of circular logic, maybe it wasn't a brilliant joke but it felt clearly silly.

The net never ceases to astound... I think it has killed our species' sense of humor/fun/sarcasm. There are literally millions of people who have no idea if something is serious without an emoji.

Back
Top Bottom