Marshall Plexi Crunch

WERNER1

Inspired
Here's a sound that I'd like some feedback on please... it's sort of my take on a Classic/Hard Rock type tone with a plexi swank and vibe to it..Keep in mind this was just some random noodling and I wasn't trying to dial in the songs or riffs I was playing,.. just testing out the patch ;)

Thanks
Rick

Ok here's the patch finally :) let me know how you think it's laid out..

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=5243

Last edited:
I really liked it, some may prefer a high pass filter for recording, but I like it the way it is.
Actually I loved it.
I think you have some great pickups. Haven't heard about High order before, but will check them out. Is this Maximis?
Would you like to share the preset with us?

really a great plexi tone.
Was messing this week end with the Plexi 1959 for some acdc tone, and it pretty nailed it (mid and treble to 10, presence to 8).. except my fingers..

Mind to share your preset (more on evh side than Acdc for me, but indeed love it) ?

It's a really nice tone. It's got meat to it, and it sounds like it'll cut through the mix. You might want to back down the delay feedback if you're playing rhythm.

One of the best Plexi sounds that I have heard.

And that's through my phone speakers! Holy SHIT!

Thanks guys!,. .. I may tweak it a little bit tonight and then post the preset in the first post of this thread. ...

I need to really learn up on the whole "Speaker" thing as far as making adjustments .. Coming from a background in Guitar and Amp repair I like to think I have a pretty good grip on what makes things sound "good" when it comes to items such as preamp and power tubes, bias, and other aspect of how and amp works in general,.. but there are plenty of things I still have limited knowledge on :(

Pickups - The High Order pickup I have is a custom wound one for me,. it's a 8.9K, Asymmetrical wind, and A6 mag's... The Kramer guitar that it is in is actually a multi-ply body (1986 Kramer Stryker 300st),.. but it has been rebuilt about 3 times now by me and is still one of my go-to guitars. :cool: I do have a Maximus pup in the bridge of my Jem and I really love it as well, but the 8.9k is that essential PAF with just a little "more" if you will,... perfect for pretty much everything ;)

Great tone man...
I have been using Plexi 50W Hi and 6550 for my Plexi tones.
Would love to have your preset and see what is different, if anything.
Thanks for sharing it!!!

Sounds great, love the presence of the pick on strings in that tone. I'll have to check out an A6 magnet...I've used just about everything else. I've got an 8.2k asymmetrical PAF bridge in one guitar that's too bright that I'm planning on swapping with an A8 to balance against the neck, maybe I'll have to see about an A6 sometime.

Never heard of High Order but I like his website. Great descriptions of different winds and magnets and very fair prices. No BS!

Downloaded and this translated very well! Just curious if you changed any advanced parameters? I sure doesn't seem to sound that good out of the box when dialing up a plexi amp

Hmmm... well I don't have the patch in front of me, but I believe it started out similar to the Build a 50W Marshall Plexi Rig video,... but those results were lacking for my set up, so I began tweaking from there... I've found that one of my go-to cab set ups thus far has been the Marshall 4X12 TV basketweave and another cab that comes factory at #149 - I think it's an IR one that they have begun including (Rocco uses that one a lot ;) ) - So I like those two cabs blended together.

Then there's the Preamp EQ in the amp block - I forsure tweak there a bit. ... but I basically go through every "advanced" option if you will and start fiddling just to see how it effects the sound - You can see from the patch how things are set and that should give a pretty good idea of what is/was involved.

A couple of keys to "This" preset was having the Bright Switch on (Which I typically hate!), and having the Mid tone knob up past 3/4... those two alone seem to really help in adding that typical old school Marshall "Swank" on top of the string hit... something that is VERY hard to replicate - you can really hear it in the VH'ish riffs... and that's IMO one of the keys to Eddie's sound that so many miss... just because you can't dial it in on hardly any other amps other than those old marshalls (and that Friedman BE100 - That Phil X vid of Tone Merchants just KILLED ME!!!! ) The dialing back of the Variac and the Bumping up the "Sag" helps with this also ;)

Back
Top Bottom