I Consider to buy AX8

DTS

Experienced
Yep!
I am selling my Axe FX II and probably replace it with AX8. I have some questions to ask.

1. I read, that there is some amount of lag when swithing between presets. Some say it is a pain, some can live with that. I know, that scenes will reduce this, but scenes aren't always an option for me. Has/can anyone record a clip where i can hear the lag?

2. I love shimmer/cloud reverb style reverbs/delays (STRYMON) . They are a must for me. Will AX8 DSP handle this? Any soundclips to share?

3. I record a lot at home and play bass as well. On the AFXII i can dial Darkglass B7K type of tones, but the preset needs 2-3 compressors and EQs, two amps and cabs drive (maybe two). I know AX8 doesn't offer this much power, but have you guys managed to achieve this kind of bass tones?

4. I have Focusrite scarlett 2i4 audio interface. This should work great with AX8 if i understand correctly?

That is about it. Big thanks, if you guys can help me with this decision. :)

I can only speak for #4. It is a great interface for the AX8 as it will allow you to monitor in stereo with a flick of the switch. You can then use it for headphones without even using a DAW. Direct monitoring = no latency and then you don't need to buy a headphone amp, if you are playing near your computer...

Reactions: DTS
2. Yes you can totally build Strymon-style cloud and shimmer sounds. They require several blocks in a chain sometimes, and you won't generally be able to include them in "kitchen sink" do-everything presets. I've been able to make awesome dedicated presets for those sounds, but I've also been able to fit swell-type sounds into song-specific presets.

For delays, you'll have no trouble at all copping Timeline sounds using the Delay block, and you can have two per preset. The Ice machine probably requires the MultiDelay block but most of the other machines can be recreated easily, especially those that are just emulating other devices (like dTape and dBucket).

I want to circle back and point out that I missed part of your post - I didn't read that you already had an Axe-Fx II.

So from the perspective of an Axe user, I would say - you will feel the DSP limits when you run 2 drives and high quality reverb with density on 8, and a few other blocks. Just lower those reverb settings and you'll feel better.

As you probably know, the common method to build Strymon cloud and shimmers is to start with a Multidelay Plex Shift into 100% wet reverb, all in parallel with the main signal. So the main limitation you will feel here is that the shimmer will eat up your one reverb block.

My workaround (which is working beautifully) is to select a reverb that I want to apply to my dry signal, and tailor it as such, running in parallel. Then feed a 100% mix parallel MultiDelay into that 100% mix reverb. You can attach a Scene Controller or Control Switch to the Reverb Time for smooth transitions to much longer reverb tails. You can also use long (20 second) tail times on the MultiDelay while leaving the Reverb block as something more universally usable (like 1-3 seconds).

I already had a Strymon BigSky and Dig when I got my AX8. The FX in the AX8 are stellar but I've found that adding the Strymon's into the FX loop has been perfect as I can get the sounds I'm used to and save a huge amount of CPU.

Yep!
I am selling my Axe FX II and probably replace it with AX8. I have some questions to ask.

1. I read, that there is some amount of lag when swithing between presets. Some say it is a pain, some can live with that. I know, that scenes will reduce this, but scenes aren't always an option for me. Has/can anyone record a clip where i can hear the lag?

2. I love shimmer/cloud reverb style reverbs/delays (STRYMON) . They are a must for me. Will AX8 DSP handle this? Any soundclips to share?

3. I record a lot at home and play bass as well. On the AFXII i can dial Darkglass B7K type of tones, but the preset needs 2-3 compressors and EQs, two amps and cabs drive (maybe two). I know AX8 doesn't offer this much power, but have you guys managed to achieve this kind of bass tones?

4. I have Focusrite scarlett 2i4 audio interface. This should work great with AX8 if i understand correctly?

That is about it. Big thanks, if you guys can help me with this decision. :)

If you already sold your AxeFx, then get an Ax8 and see how far it can get you, but expect to use external reverbs and drives.
If you haven't sold it yet, hold onto it.

1. The audio gap is a big deal for me, there is a nice thread around here where the minimum gap is measured exactly, but keep in mind it only gets longer from there.

2. yeah you can get excellent shimmers and modulated delays from the AX8, however, it won't be from a single block. It sometimes takes a whole fx chain to get the richness of some more advanced reverb pedals. So, it won't be something you can on the fly kick on or off without a gap... UNLESS you get a bluesky or whatever and put it in the fx loop.

3. Bass players are nearly ignored by FAS in recent times. You get a couple good sounding bass amps and cabs, but for fx it's pretty much not anything to pick from. If you have a B7K, put it in front of the AX8 or in the fx loop. That being said, I find that (although I am frustrated by the lack of available drive models, especially for bass) the mix parameter of the drive block goes a long way in making an ok distorted bass tone.

4. I use a focusrite 6i6 and it's great with AX8. I can only guess that the 2i4 would work too.

Back
Top Bottom