Playing through M-audio av40's? (or other cheap powered monitors)

jdecaire

I hope this is in the appropriate section (mods feel free to move if it is not)

I have finally purchased an axe-fx standard!...now I need something to play it through, as headphones don't exactly do the unit justice. I was looking at the M-audio AV40's which go for about $150. I tried doing a search to find more info about how the axe would sound through it but didn't exactly find anything. Would these be an ok solution to play through? Im trying to keep the cost low, but want something that will sound good. I believe the AV40's are ported so I'm assuming the bass freq is going to be a little high.

Does anyone have experience with the AV40's? I've noticed there is also AV30's for only $100 which only has RCA inputs (I guess I could use an adapter but I would probably lose stereo effects). Would either of these be a good solution for a bedroom rig? are there any others to be considered in that lower price range?

Any help is appreciated

I use them at home and I like them. You have to write your patches while using them they as exaggerate certain frequencies. Good value at that price. Ipod sounds great through them also.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Late response here, but in case it helps...

I just purchased a pair on sale from Guitar Center over the past weekend and I actually like them for the price. They seem a little "shrill" to me in some spots but I think for the money and accessibility they're great. I love the aux input on the front as well so I can plug in my iPhone or whatever and pull up some jam tracks in a pinch. Compare that to bringing my AxeFx signal into my computer, starting up my DAW, sitting at my computer instead of somewhere more comfortable, etc. My buddy and I at work are bringing in guitars to jam a bit in the office on Friday afternoon, and I was thinking of a way to get that done without bringing my Tech21 Power Engine - too much volume. This is much more controllable at reasonable volumes (though definitely doesn't ROCK like a real guitar cab) and they're small and portable. I like them.

Sorry I'm very late here but these m Audio av40's are what I'm running my AxeFx to. When dialed in they sound killer. I would like to get a 12" FRFR cab instead now but I'm concerned about how much retweaking I'll need to do

Back
Top Bottom