Bug? Volume difference between volume pedal and IA Switch

Tom_AxeII

Hi, I am facing the following problem:

My volume pedal controllin the output volume 1 (c11) is set to a midi range from 0 to 105, thus acting as a standard volume pedal. In order to push the level further I am using an instant access switch for a global boost (after the method described by Matman). The midi range of this IA switch is ranging from 105 to 127 (maximum). When I press now the IA bosst switch the volume increases, so far so good. However when I turn that IA switch now off, the sound does not go the the exact same way back as before with the volume pedal being in full position. Both should be 105, but they definitely sound different (after turning the IA switch off, the sounds always seems to be nicer/fuller/a bit louder).

I am really wondering about that issue. It also applies when I set both the pedal and the IA switch to the maximum value of 127 a. It always sounds better after pressing the IA switch. Does anybody deal with the same problem or have any suggestions ?

I am using a fractal audio expression pedal and the mfc 101 MarkIII with the newest firmware 3.08. The pedal has been calibrated correctly over the full range.

Kind regards,
Thomas

Hi Chris, thanks for your reply. However I didn't get the point. In the setup of the mfc there is the option to set the minimum and maximum level between 0 and 127 for an expression pedal. Why can't I use that to get the level for example between 0 and 105 and raise it if necessary up by a defined level from 105 to 127 using an IA switch further assigned to control cc#11 as well? Why does it show these volume difference? What would you recommend to get these two possibilities of volume control (one flexible control + one defined db boost)?

Do you have the volume pedal at full toe down when you turn on the boost? If it's lower than full toe down, the controller's MIDI value will be somewhere less than 105 so the fixed off value of 105 for the switch will sound louder in comparison.

Also, make sure you are limiting the controller's range in the MFC's MIDI menu and not the pedal's calibration range in the Setup menu. Depending on how the pedal calibrates, you might need to pad the toe down position a little bit by putting a thin spacer like a bit of cardboard or something under the toe of the pedal to limit it's forward range a tiny bit while calibrating. That will let the pedal travel just a tiny bit past it's upper calibration point in normal use to ensure it always hits its set max value.

Hi Chris, thanks for your reply. However I didn't get the point. In the setup of the mfc there is the option to set the minimum and maximum level between 0 and 127 for an expression pedal. Why can't I use that to get the level for example between 0 and 105 and raise it if necessary up by a defined level from 105 to 127 using an IA switch further assigned to control cc#11 as well? Why does it show these volume difference? What would you recommend to get these two possibilities of volume control (one flexible control + one defined db boost)?
because the "Matman trick" already makes the maximum of the volume pedal 105. that's why that trick works.

you want the volume pedal to control its full range of 0 to 127, but the Trick makes 127 = 105 when the Trick is turned off.

Back
Top Bottom