Axe-Fx II "takes over" my soundcard

uhm, yeah but this will also disableAXE FX II > AXE EDIT communication...

In the Playback tab of the Sound settings window, right click in the list of devices and make sure "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices" are both checked. Turn off the Axe II so it shows greyed out in the list, then set your other interface as the default device. When you turn on the Axe II it should then no longer take over as the default device. That works for me and I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update adds a little up arrow to corner of the normal system tray volume control pop-up. Click that arrow and it will let you choose the active audio device directly from the system tray. That makes it much easier than in previous versions of Windows.

If you don't have or don't want the Anniversary Update, there's a few other applications out there that will also let you switch devices as well. Audio Switch is one. NirCmd is a command line app that lets you control a bunch of stuff in windows from a command prompt and you can then create desktop or task bar shortcuts to run the desired commands and also assign hotkeys to the shortcuts if you want.

Yet another option is to create an aggregate audio device using ASIO4ALL drivers. Windows will only allow one active audio device at a time and does not natively support aggregate devices the way Mac OS can. ASIO4ALL adds this capability. It can add latency though, so it's a trade off.

There are many ways to skin a cat!

@mr_fender
i will try this later but even if i can get Windows to remember the aduo device settings, the problem with the DPC latency remains.
i am noch 100% sure but it seems like the USB driver for the AXE FX II is causing some serious DPC latency, so if there is
any chance i'd rather completely give up using the USB driver.

@Jason Scott
looks nice but to be honest this is not a perfect solution and more a workaround.
i do not know much about drivers and programming but i think that being able to disable the
USB interface within the AXE FX II without having to sacrifice the USB connectivity used for
commmunication with aXE EDIT would be the only perfect solution...

The Axe's USB latency is not bad at all. 1000 µs = 1 ms. I challenge anyone to be able to actually perceive 1 ms of latency while playing. Not only that, but monitor directly from the Axe's analog outputs, and USB latency is irrelevant. Trying to do real time monitoring via software will always be a compromise.

The Axe's USB latency is not bad at all. 1000 µs = 1 ms. I challenge anyone to be able to actually perceive 1 ms of latency while playing. Not only that, but monitor directly from the Axe's analog outputs, and USB latency is irrelevant. Trying to do real time monitoring via software will always be a compromise.

I agree. I'm getting approx. 3ms of latency when monitoring via software, which is negligible when playing.

Yeah it depends on your buffer settings, the capabilities of your PC, and the software CPU load from plugins and such. 3ms is pretty darn good for software monitoring in my experience. The hardware latency of the Axe II itself is just under 2 ms.

right now i am running a RME HDSPe AIO PCIe interface/soundcard and the AXE USB driver is causing DPC latency
which leads to some problems with the internal PCIe card. i am having dropouts wtc. my PC is pretty much hi-end, or at least it was
when i bought it about 1,5 years ago. when i disable the AXE USB driver the DPC latency is significantly improved resulting in
no problems running the RME AIO. that's the ain reason i am trying to get rid of the AXE FX II USB interface.

for me as soon as i disable the USB audio Device in Windows 10 the connection to AXE EDIT cuts out,
that's the main problem here!

I can not expect any help from FAS either...

for me as soon as i disable the USB audio Device in Windows 10 the connection to AXE EDIT cuts out,
that's the main problem here!

If you disable the Axe FX in the Windows Device Manager, yes, it will cause all USB communication to stop. However, I don't notice this behavior when disabling the device from the Playback and Recording Devices window(accessed by right clicking the speaker icon in the taskbar).

Recording Devices.jpg

Last edited:
OK, i think, as i am using multiple audio devices on my PC, i think the best way is to connect them all simultaneously
and then set my interface as the default playback device.

I have a feeling that this will interfere with my gaming headset but i'l give it a try right after work!

Thanks for all the tips guys! :)

Back
Top Bottom