Anyone not a fan of Quantum 6?

I think you just have to try out the tubes and find what works best with each patch, I like the 12AX7A Syl more with some patches and the 12AX7A JJ more with others. I also like to fine tune the Preamp Bias and Hardness after selecting the tube to get it perfect.
^^this exactly. so there's a new default tube type... big deal! seems like it's too much to ask to actually listen to the new models, which btw are a great addition, and then decide which one suits one's needs best and change them to taste...

^^this exactly. so there's a new default tube type... big deal! seems like it's too much to ask to actually listen to the new models, which btw are a great addition, and then decide which one suits one's needs best and change them to taste...

The only strange thing for me was presets created on Q4.x had the modeling version set to Q4.x (I'm on an XL+) as expected, but the preamp tube changed to the new Sylvania automatically. Without me changing the preset.

Not a big deal but by default when my old presets loaded the tube changed.

This new Sylvania tube is really killer with the Boogie amps. It gives that perfect Boogie creamy distortion. Really improved those models for me.

seems like it's too much to ask
Yes, when user presets change and it is not common knowledge why they changed. Not all of us audition the preamp tube type regularly. I have tried them prior and like others didn't find them to be that effective until now.

Thanks Cliff for the assistance!

I love how the various preamp tubes can quickly change the character of an amp; creamy to rude with a flick of the knob. My favorite is the 12AX7 Slyvania overall but like what some of the other types do to add more of a raspy bite to the high end (good for certain tones). The EF86 is instant creamy goodness to an amp that's a bit 'aggressive'.

The default value of Harmonics is zero for those models. So again, I don't really know what's going on but the models are identical. There was a mistake in 5.00b but that was fixed for the release version.

This is the last time I'm going to say this: The HOOK models are identical and did not change from 4.01 to 5.xx and only the power amp modeling changed (and only slightly) for 6.00.
Cliff, it`s ok, thanks!:) - the Input Trim is different - it set it from 1.0 to 0,309 ;)

You can choose the JJ tube to get it the same as 5.00.

Definitely I'm a JJ man

There are two primary parameters associated with our preamp tube models. "Preamp Hardness" determines how abrupt the tube clips when it enters the saturation region. There is another parameter that determines how nonlinear the tube is between cutoff and saturation. This is currently not exposed to the user but I've been contemplating adding it.

You have my vote sir!

For 6.01 I've also added back the old 12AX7B type which is the most linear of the types and clips hard. People who play with lots of gain tend to like this as it results in tighter tone and more aggressive harmonic content.

I like this

Uploaded last night... I heard a strange fuzziness in ac30 tb model... my first impresion was there was too much gain (3'50)... Down to 2'75 and still hear the fuzzines.... It's a good idea to reload Q6?

Uploaded last night... I heard a strange fuzziness in ac30 tb model... my first impresion was there was too much gain (3'50)... Down to 2'75 and still hear the fuzzines.... It's a good idea to reload Q6?
Did you try changing the preamp tube to JJ?

updated to Q6 an hour ago...

just playing on one of my wanking guitar-hero-Recto1 Red patches.

started thinking "god damn, what am I doing different? This is sounding really good."

then I remember I just updated firmwares.

I have a noob question about this. When I download the latest version for the xl+, I install it with the Fractal bot. Once it's in the axe, It tells me to shut it off, wait a few seconds, and turn it back on. Am I done at this point, or do I need to reset something in the axe for the new changes to take place? If changes are needed, what changes and how do I do it? Thanks in advance, Still a very new user here. Joe

I have a noob question about this. When I download the latest version for the xl+, I install it with the Fractal bot. Once it's in the axe, It tells me to shut it off, wait a few seconds, and turn it back on. Am I done at this point, or do I need to reset something in the axe for the new changes to take place? If changes are needed, what changes and how do I do it? Thanks in advance, Still a very new user here. Joe

Nope, that's all you'll need to do. If you use Axe-Edit, it'll rebuild the database after the update, but that happens automatically.

Sometimes there are firmware specific special instructions. Those are in the release notes that come with the firmware.

With the XL+ for presets made with older firmware, the modeling version parameter might not be set to "LATEST". So those presets would not be using the new firmware's modeling.

In AxeEdit, this parameter is in the lower right of the Amp block Preamp page.

For example, I have the Q6 firmware loaded but this factory preset is set to Q5, not to LATEST:

upload_2016-11-27_9-35-23.png

Finally got around to installing Q6 yesterday, and did an a/b test by copy'ing my current preset and chaning the copy to Q6. At first I felt the Q6 version did distort a bit more, and took some of the snap out of the preset. Q6was also a bit louder, so felt I might be fooling my ears to thinking it sounded different, but when i dialed down the input gain by 2-2.5 and leveled the gain, I definatly liked Q6 better. It just somehow seemed more organic (if that word makes sence in this context).

I updated to quantum 6 and haven't spent a lot of time playing with it.i have noticed a difference in tones both positive and negative with different amps. I love the brownface preset as this sounded fantastic and had not being a fan before, but I didn't like the plexi 50 preset I had. (Similar to Brett Kinman on YouTube ). The tone seems thinner . As someone else had said , the clean tones seem better. I will try resetting the amp block on some presets and trying different preamp valves.
I am running my ax8 straight to a Yamaha dbr 12 Frfr

I updated to quantum 6 and haven't spent a lot of time playing with it.i have noticed a difference in tones both positive and negative with different amps. I love the brownface preset as this sounded fantastic and had not being a fan before, but I didn't like the plexi 50 preset I had. (Similar to Brett Kinman on YouTube ). The tone seems thinner . As someone else had said , the clean tones seem better. I will try resetting the amp block on some presets and trying different preamp valves.
I am running my ax8 straight to a Yamaha dbr 12 Frfr
This is the AXEFX II section not the AX8 section. no worries

Back
Top Bottom