Which Y Cable For Headphones?

The outputs of the AX8 are line level. They are not designed to drive a pair of headphones. They are meant for high impedance line level inputs. The impedance of your Sony's is only 63 ohms, way below the 600 ohm output impedance of the AX8's outputs. At best you'll have huge signal loss and possible distortion. At worst, the excess current draw could maybe damage the output circuit of the AX8. You will need an external headphone amp to properly drive the headphones.

The outputs of the AX8 are line level. They are not designed to drive a pair of headphones. They are meant for high impedance line level inputs. The impedance of your Sony's is only 63 ohms, way below the 600 ohm output impedance of the AX8's outputs. At best you'll have huge signal loss and possible distortion. At worst, the excess current draw could maybe damage the output circuit of the AX8. You will need an external headphone amp to properly drive the headphones.
The external headphone amp is certainly the better choice, but I believe that many users do go direct, prolly with greatly varying results, but I don't think damage is a consideration, but I've been wrong before...

FOr some reason, all the Amazon links posted here (including mine) default to AMZ homepage after being intitially visible...any clues, @iaresee ? The link I attempted to post above is for the Rolls PM50s personal headphone amp...

@bradlake thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'm pretty certain I know what the issue is. Powerless to fix it right now as my broadband router died this evening. Slumming it on LTE and my iPhone only here tonight. Will get it sorted tomorrow.

Thanks for the help, guys! I noticed the Rolls PM50 has only one either 1/4" or xlr input. Wouldn't this make hearing a stereo signal impossible?

Thanks for the help, guys! I noticed the Rolls PM50 has only one either 1/4" or xlr input. Wouldn't this make hearing a stereo signal impossible?
it claims to be mono or stereo input, I don't own one, so Icant confirm..maybe it's a stereo TRS in, can @Admin M@
Chip in with his insight?

I just ordered the Rolls PM50s due to reading this thread. I've been looking for a headphone solution for practicing. I love my Friedman ASM-12, but for some reason my neighbors don't. My headphones are AKG K240 Studio (55 ohms) that I bought after reading Keith Merrow say that he liked them for guitar.

My question is, what would be the best way to connect to the AX8? My Friedman uses the XLR Out. Do I need a 1/4 TS Y cable? Or, use the XLR? Thanks in advance.

I just ordered the Rolls PM50s due to reading this thread. I've been looking for a headphone solution for practicing. I love my Friedman ASM-12, but for some reason my neighbors don't. My headphones are AKG K240 Studio (55 ohms) that I bought after reading Keith Merrow say that he liked them for guitar.

My question is, what would be the best way to connect to the AX8? My Friedman uses the XLR Out. Do I need a 1/4 TS Y cable? Or, use the XLR? Thanks in advance.
You will need a a cable with two TS on one end and a 1/4 in stereo (TRS) on the other, according to the manual the Monitor IN is stereo TRS. This way you can keep the Friedman connected to XLR. (You could i guess get a dual XLR to 1/4 stereo as well...)

With low-impedance headphones, you can get by with a Y cable straight into the AX8's line outs. But there will be limits on how loud it can get.

Back
Top Bottom