What will you do when no more firmware updates?

What will you do if no more firmware updates on Mark I and Mark II?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’m absolutely happy with my Axe-FX II Mark I, but having enjoyed the evolutionary developmental ride up to here, I feel that I would be missing out on something. Long story short: Axe 1 is on eBay, XL+ incoming tomorrow and when the III comes history will repeat itself.:cool:

Ahh yeeessss... since the XL+ is coming from G66 I'm looking forward to that little chocolate extra packed in there, Merci G66!

Exactly, the xl and xl+ don't offer anything other than memory that interest me, and that is not nearly enough to go through the trouble of selling the Mark 1 and purchasing an XL+. If the Axe 3 doesn't have updated interface/screen I'll pass on that as well. Still it surprised me that Cliff chose to let a few users who don't have the brains to just redo their presets after an update win while the majority of users don't even use the multi firmware feature. I bet we could get another year or more of updates had Cliff made the choice to drop that very unused feature which poll after poll shows majority of users can live without.

Fractal support regarding firmwares has been so damn good I can't be mad at them if they decide to focus on providing more value for the product they currently sell (XL+). It won't make my unit sound any worse. Of course I also wish that they drop the multifirmware feature if it allows them to bring me more stuff that I actually use.

UI improvements are what I am after though. I dislike the hardware front panel so much that I use the Axe-Edit software pretty much exclusively.

Will you buy a new guitar?
Will you drive a more powerful car?
Will you work straight through the night?
Will you get into fights?
Leave the lights on?
Drop bombs?
Do tours of the East?
Contract diseases?
BURY BONES
BREAK UP HOMES
SEND FLOWERS BY PHONE
TAKE TO DRINK
GO TO SHRINKS
GIVE UP MEAT
RARELY SLEEP?
KEEP PEOPLE AS PETS?
TRAIN DOGS
RACE RATS
FILL THE ATTIC WITH CASH?
BURY TREASURE
STORE UP LEISURE
BUT NEVER RELAX AT AAAALLLLL.

Or will you bitch about it on the Fractal Forum, bitterly playing a pretty damn-awesome sounding modeller cringing that it's not the newest firmware?

I'll enjoy the hell out of my Mark II and one day down the road I'll in all likelihood buy whatever the latest from Fractal is. I'll be content with my Mark II for a long while though.

Reactions: Ole
Fractal support regarding firmwares has been so damn good I can't be mad at them if they decide to focus on providing more value for the product they currently sell (XL+). It won't make my unit sound any worse. Of course I also wish that they drop the multifirmware feature if it allows them to bring me more stuff that I actually use.

UI improvements are what I am after though. I dislike the hardware front panel so much that I use the Axe-Edit software pretty much exclusively.

That's funny. I'm exactly the opposite. I can zip through the front panel like it's nothing. I only really use Axe-Edit for trying out new presets, exporting presets, etc... Everyone's got their own way of doing things. :)

Exactly, the xl and xl+ don't offer anything other than memory that interest me, and that is not nearly enough to go through the trouble of selling the Mark 1 and purchasing an XL+. If the Axe 3 doesn't have updated interface/screen I'll pass on that as well. Still it surprised me that Cliff chose to let a few users who don't have the brains to just redo their presets after an update win while the majority of users don't even use the multi firmware feature. I bet we could get another year or more of updates had Cliff made the choice to drop that very unused feature which poll after poll shows majority of users can live without.
Did Cliff say that he wasn't going to remove the multiple firmware feature?

I am only working in the studio and would find a plugin version of the Axe perfect. Since that has been "kind of announced" in the "Plugins" section, I wanted to sell the Mk1 before the plugin comes out and the Mk1 might lose more of its worth. Now that FW updates might approach their end, I am hurrying with that even more.

You might want to reconsider if you are committed to Fractal tech for your sounds. The first "all but confirmed" rumor of an AxeFx plugin was seven years ago (2009) before the AxeFxII even existed. Go search "fractal axe-pc axefx plugin" or similar in a search engine.

There's 'soon' in human terms (a couple of weeks) and 'soon' in geological terms (a couple of millenia) and everywhere in between.

Wait for the plugin version. I'm thinking of selling my Mk2, buy an Ax8 and get Bias Amp in the meantime for studio use.
If we get a plugin version soon then buy Ax8 for live and the plugin for studio use.

You might want to reconsider if you are committed to Fractal tech for your sounds. The first "all but confirmed" rumor of an AxeFx plugin was seven years ago (2009) before the AxeFxII even existed. Go search "fractal axe-pc axefx plugin" or similar in a search engine.

There's 'soon' in human terms (a couple of weeks) and 'soon' in geological terms (a couple of millenia) and everywhere in between.

That's unfortunately wrong. Search for FAS-Amp and you will see a comment from Cliff about it coming soon. Message is from this year.

Edit: there we go from May 2016: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fasfx-amp.114782/#post-1372567

First, enter rehab for FUAS (Firmware Update Addiction Syndrome). Second, order an AX8.

Seriously, I've been considering an AX8 so I have less to carry to church. My 50 year old back - whoops, 51 now - complains about the rack weight, and I always end up making two trips to the car. With an AX8 I should be good with one trip. So, yeah, the end of the firmware updates for the Axe II is probably the last nudge I need to move forward with the AX8 purchase. Now I just need to sell a guitar or two to raise the money... Anyone need a mid 90s Taylor 12 string?

I haven't got it. Is the 4.01 beta the last we get or will we get the 4.01 final release as well?

When we get our last version I can start to finally oder my presets and cabs. They are now setup the way that I can make changes fast for when the next updates comes. There's only one bank and some special presets that I have to maintain and all presets have global eqs to allow for changes. I add some more banks with different shades of tones once I know the update train went on without me. One eye cries and one smiles.

That's unfortunately wrong. Search for FAS-Amp and you will see a comment from Cliff about it coming soon. Message is from this year.

Edit: there we go from May 2016: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fasfx-amp.114782/#post-1372567
I wish I was wrong. Here is a DIRECT QUOTE from Cliff on Rig-Talk posted on Nov 17 2008:
Post subject: Re: AMP SIM plug in - 1/10 the price of AXE FX
Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:05 pm

A beta version of our VST (that also runs standalone) should be out this week. It kills everything out there.
go
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Extreme
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
-
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
www.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
fractalaudio.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
com
I LOVE Cliff and Fractal. But I'll believe this is going to be a real for sale and supported product when it shows up in the store for purchase and I can load it, not a moment sooner. This has been talked about by not only people speculating but also FAS (as you can see) for YEARS and YEARS and nothing has ever come of it. The thread you quoted; which I saw and read when it was new; is even locked.

Rig Talk Thread:
http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37376

As I said, I'd love Fractal to finally deliver on that one. It is a DAY ONE purchase for me if it ever happens.

Last edited:
If I wanted an XL, I would've gotten an XL.

That said, I'm still kinda put off by the "no upgrades" thing given that support for backwards compatibility is said to be the driver for the decision. It seems rather unlike Cliff to paint himself into a corner, increasing the FW image size to the point that the Mk 1 hardware can't support it. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's planned obsolescence but the decision not to make the compatibility modes conditional when they were implemented is a heckuva case of unplanned obsolescence. :mad:

Wow, that's just a really rude thing to say. I'm amazed what some people will infer given that they know absolutely nothing about how much work goes into a product like this. Accusing a manufacturer with a track record like ours of planned obsolescence is downright insulting.

Wow, that's just a really rude thing to say. I'm amazed what some people will infer given that they know absolutely nothing about how much work goes into a product like this. Accusing a manufacturer with a track record like ours of planned obsolescence is downright insulting.

Agree! And thank you for sticking up for you and FAS! I'm sure 99% of us are nothing but thankful, satisfied customers, who would gladly buy FAS products again and again given the opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom