Line 6 releases new Spider V...

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
I can't keep track of all their products. I was there at the beginning with the original kidney bean and a few to follow. Not sure what's under the hood but diggin the UI of their new products. An Axe FX motor inside would be fantastic.

Wow that's really a great line of amps. Remember who this product is for. The fact that you can now adjust all the effect parameters with the LCD screen and controls is huge. the built in guitar wireless is amazing and it's exactly what some people here wished was in the Axe-Fx.

I wish this line was around when I started playing guitar. It has a range of sounds in one ready-to-go package. It also starts teaching the concept of the front panel control and editing, using knobs and dials and the screen to adjust everything. Many people who have the axe-fx as their first digital product have trouble with that, so imagine if they had come from something like this Spider V instead - they'd have no problem with the front panel of other gear, including FAS.

The tones all sounded very bright, so it seems to be a choice of the video production or the demonstrator.

I'm glad Line 6 continuously improves on the products it offered to beggining guitarists. Digital and effects were a mess when I started, and I had so much to catch up on when the POD family was first released. Gear like this helps prepare players for the future and even better gear.

I wish this line was around when I started playing guitar. It has a range of sounds in one ready-to-go package. It also starts teaching the concept of the front panel control and editing, using knobs and dials and the screen to adjust everything. Many people who have the axe-fx as their first digital product have trouble with that, so imagine if they had come from something like this Spider V instead - they'd have no problem with the front panel of other gear, including FAS.

Gear like this helps prepare players for the future and even better gear.

I was thinking the same thing. Sure I'm extremely happy with my Axe Fx and no way would I ever downgrade but for what you get at the price point ...new/intermediate guitar player, this is pretty hard to beat. My nephew is getting interested in guitar and as much as I"d love to buy him an Axe FX...I'd steer him in this direction as a place to start.

Amazing how people are spoiled. All the amps I had when I was a kid were awful. Ever play a crate? Kids have it great now.
Funny. I was thinking this sounded similar to my CRATE G40C with Digitech GSP-21PRO. I'm not a Line 6 Hater, I just don't like how bright that video sounded.

Don't get me wrong, my beef is I know that thing can create better tones than that. Even the original POD bean could sound more lively and amp like than that demo. It's not a knock on their products at all, but rather their notoriously weak demonstrations of them. L6 is second only to Boss in creating demo tones that do their products no justice. I've owned and played through a number of L6 products over the years and usable and surprisingly good tones could be had from nearly all of them with a bit of tweaking. For beginners and budget players, they are a fantastic option. It's just a shame that they don't do a better job of showing off their usable tonal capabilities.

Amazing how people are spoiled. All the amps I had when I was a kid were awful. Ever play a crate? Kids have it great now.

Yep - My local music shop was a Crate dealer (in the 90s).
Around 1993 I had down sized a little and bought a new 1x12 hybrid (pre-amp tubes) with DSP effects.
It was probably a new concept at the time - the amp had to be sent to Crate two times eventually getting fixed for good.
When I was a kid it seemed everyone had Peavey or Crate SS amps.

Funny - I remember having a Peavey Rage practice amp and finally realizing I needed to turn up the overdrive and lower the
volume to get "that distortion sound".

I still have an Line6 AX2 (AxSys 2x12 version 2) and a POD2.0. The AX2 was an interesting concept at the time, but support for it sadly dropped very quickly. I used this as a bedroom practice amp for years. The POD 2.0 was a waste full purchase for me as I believe I used it 3 times (not knocking it - I just didn't use it). I did hear a wedding band using an AX2 years ago and the guitarist had it dialed in pretty good.
For me, the AX2 was at least "amp in the room" - but some effects had seemed to have strange artifacts.

Line 6 actually thinks this stuff sounds good, so they're going to keep doing it. Someone did a Helix vs. AX8 side by side recently and I thought the Helix sounded like a bag of burning a$$h0l35.

I'd rather tell a kid to get Positive Grid stuff for the iPad he/she probably already has than let them give their money and contributing to this stuff propagating any further.

The Spider amps are a blight upon sound to our ears, but 16 year old me in the 80s with a Peavey Audition amp would've been happy as a pig in mud to have a Spider V. This product is aimed at first time players today. For what it is, it's a fine product.

I can't wait for that guy from SpectreSoundStudios to do a review on this one. He SO loves the previous version. ;)

WOW that really does sound terrible!
at first I said maybe he is going for a EVH type tone, but then I noticed that it was supposed to be a JCM800. WOW how far off can you be. I agree the JCM800 in the POD X3 sounds MUCH better than that.
And the verb sounded horrible too. I don't expect a ton from Line 6, but I expect better than that...

Curious to hear how it would have sounded running direct. Never heard FR mic'ed before. not a fan at all!

Back
Top Bottom