Think Outside the Box

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
I was experimenting with an amp model the other day and just wasn't finding what I was looking for in IRs. I was using one of the Dizzy models. Being a creature of habit I was scanning through only 4x12 IRs. Almost by accident I landed on a 2x12 Vox IR and it had exactly what I was looking for.

So the moral of the story is don't be afraid to try seemingly incompatible IR pairings. Some of the greatest tones in history occurred when people mixed and matched gear.

Thanks for this, Cliff. We guitarists put so much effort into being "guitarly correct" that we forget that most of the stuff that we consider iconic actually started out as someone's venture outside the box.
Exactly.

I was experimenting with an amp model the other day and just wasn't finding what I was looking for in IRs. I was using one of the Dizzy models. Being a creature of habit I was scanning through only 4x12 IRs. Almost by accident I landed on a 2x12 Vox IR and it had exactly what I was looking for.

Out of curiosity, which Vox IR...one of the stock ones?

Some of the greatest tones in history occurred when people mixed and matched gear.

Totes Magoats.
tumblr_lwhgwc8cqc1qiadpyo1_500.gif

I've found some serious magic with combining non-traditional amps with non-traditional cabs. Thank you for confirming that geniuses and amp wizards also approach this prest building method. :D

I did a complete record with a 5150 Block Letter through a 2x12 Vox with Blue Bulldogs (real amp and cab!) once. May sound crazy, but it worked! It's my band's current album. Not the kind of guitar sound I would use today, but when the producer came up with this idea, I first thought he's gone mad. But he proved me wrong :)

So the moral of the story is don't be afraid to try seemingly incompatible IR pairings. Some of the greatest tones in history occurred when people mixed and matched gear.
Agree!

one of my favorite sounds is an energyball amp and a cameron ccv 2d into a 1x12 cab model of the tweed verb with a R121 at 1.35 Proximity. Best lead tone I have ever had in my life. With some delay/verb too. Quite and unusual pairing.

was wondering how to load new irs?

Would pairing a traditional stack head, with something like a 1x12 also emulated any issues that you might ind in the "real world"? E.g. impedance mismatch, speaker overload? Curious as I’m new to the fractal world and am tying to learn

Back
Top Bottom