Midi I/O: Map from preset, map to preset, how to use?

aziz

Power User
When would I use this and how?

Manual:
These three parameters work to specify which preset and scene will be loaded for each incoming program change message when MAPPING MODE is set to “CUSTOM.” For example, if you select “15” for MAP FROM and MAP TO values of “100,” and “2” incoming Program Change #15 will load Preset 100, scene 2."

Now, what happens when I click a preset 16 from a foot controller?

It would select preset 16 (or the preset this points to), obviously. ;)

It's basicly a pointer to a different preset/scene when a PC message is sent. When you are using the MFC in Axe FX mode, this will do nothing. It's only meant for other MIDI controllers or people that use the MFC in manual programming mode.

When you are using the MFC in Axe FX mode, this will do nothing. It's only meant for other MIDI controllers or people that use the MFC in manual programming mode.

Not quite.

I'm using the MFC in Axe-Fx mode and I use this mapping system to map scenes to preset switches.

Like this:

My main preset 000 has 4 scenes. I can recall these scenes by pressing the dedicated scene switches on my MFC.
While this works well, it requires me to press two switches when coming from another preset: first the preset switch, then the scene switch.
That's why I use mapping to cut one step. I map scenes 2, 3 and 4 to preset switches. This means that, when coming from another preset, I only have to press one of those preset switches to recall my main preset AND the desired scene in one go.

Not quite.

I'm using the MFC in Axe-Fx mode and I use this mapping system to map scenes to preset switches.

Like this:

My main preset 000 has 4 scenes. I can recall these scenes by pressing the dedicated scene switches on my MFC.
While this works well, it requires me to press two switches when coming from another preset: first the preset switch, then the scene switch.
That's why I use mapping to cut one step. I map scenes 2, 3 and 4 to preset switches. This means that, when coming from another preset, I only have to press one of those preset switches to recall my main preset AND the desired scene in one go.
Yeah but that doesn't work with the up and down switches on the MFC. At least it didn't when I tried the last time. Is there a way to fix that?
I use a bank size of 0 to have the scene select buttons on the lower row and only use up and down to switch between presets (one preset per song). I tried to use the map to feature to make it select a specific scene when switching presets but it didn't work.

Ah, okay, haven't tried it with Bank Size=0 yet.

Do you have TotalSync enabled? That might conflict with your configuration.

Yek,

I like the concept you're using, allowing a single click to access to the scene level, even while changing to a different preset (I know you are staying on the same preset, but if I'm understanding correctly, it could just as easily be to any preset and any scene number within the given preset). Any chance you might post the particulars as to how you implement what you've done? I've had my MFC for a little while, but am not nearly as versed as you nor many others on our forum.

Cheers,

Lee

Thanks Yek. After reading the linked posts, I do have a question. I probably inferred more from your initial response above than was intended. Do you need to already be on a specific preset (001 in your scenario), to gain access to a scene within that preset with IA06-IA09? I thought your initial post above was indicating the MFC IA settings would access both preset and scene number from one click (e.g. IA06 setup for preset 195 scene 4, IA07 setup for preset 300 scene 2, ...), but after reading your MFC setup info, that isn't correct, is it? Just wanting to make sure I understand. Thanks again for the shared information, which makes it so much easier for everyone.

Cheers,

Lee

IAs 06-09 allow me to recall scenes within the current preset. So these don't help you in your quest.

Also, these are not part of the mapping approach because they are IA switches.
Mapping applies to preset switches.

Mapping enables me to use the first 4 preset switches in MFC bank 1, to recall preset 000 PLUS a specific scene in that preset (through mapping), with a single stomp on one of those presets.

I must be dumb as dirt, or hopefully am just overlooking it. Does the other thread have the info on the mapping? Can you help an old dude out? ;)

Cheers,

Lee

In I/O > MIDI, set Mapping to Custom.

Map From: select the desired preset switch on your MFC.
Map To: select the preset on the Axe-Fx you want to recall, including the desired scene.

To map more switches, use Map From.

Yek,

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try hopefully tomorrow, when I'm back in action. And just as info, It looks like your handling would allow a much wider application than what I'd thought it meant. My description of it seems as if it would be quite limiting, comparatively.

Cheers,

Lee

In I/O > MIDI, set Mapping to Custom.

Map From: select the desired preset switch on your MFC.
Map To: select the preset on the Axe-Fx you want to recall, including the desired scene.

To map more switches, use Map From.
Hi Yek,

Hoping you might be able to help here. I've got the scene mapping down no problem.
However if I map from say preset 0 to preset 10 meaning button 1 now recalls preset 10 yeah?
Ok, though when this happens my MFC has now jumped banks, so to get to get to button 2 in bank 1 I need to bank down again.

I'm hoping I can achieve the following for example (all within bank 1)
button 1 brings up preset 10 scene 4
button 2 brings up preset 45 scene 1
button 3 brings up preset 184 scene 3
button 4 brings up preset 93 scene 2

Is this possible?

Hi Yek,

Hoping you might be able to help here. I've got the scene mapping down no problem.
However if I map from say preset 0 to preset 10 meaning button 1 now recalls preset 10 yeah?
Ok, though when this happens my MFC has now jumped banks, so to get to get to button 2 in bank 1 I need to bank down again.

Is this possible?

To prevent the MFC from changing banks, set TotalSync to OFF on the MFC.

Hi Yek,

Is this possible?
@Jason King - in the future it would be best to start a new thread rather than reviving multiple old threads with the same question...

IAs 06-09 allow me to recall scenes within the current preset. So these don't help you in your quest.

Also, these are not part of the mapping approach because they are IA switches.
Mapping applies to preset switches.

Mapping enables me to use the first 4 preset switches in MFC bank 1, to recall preset 000 PLUS a specific scene in that preset (through mapping), with a single stomp on one of those presets.
Can I achieve this with my Roland controller?
Or is this only achievable on an MFC?
From all the info I have read all I can do is get one patch only to call up a patch with a scene other than 1.
I want to be able to go to scenes 3, 4 and 5 within the same patch using 3 different foot controller pedals.

Last edited:
Can I achieve this with my Roland controller?
Or is this only achievable on an MFC?
From all the info I have read all I can do is get one patch only to call up a patch with a scene other than 1.
I want to be able to go to scenes 3, 4 and 5 within the same patch using 3 different foot controller pedals.
You would need to create a map for each preset+scene.

So if you wanted access to preset 001, scenes 1,2 and 3 you would map that out. For example, you controller sends PC 001, PC 002 and PC 003. On the Axe Fx, map 001 to preset 001 scene 1, 002 to preset 001 scene 2, etc...

You would need to create a map for each preset+scene.

So if you wanted access to preset 001, scenes 1,2 and 3 you would map that out. For example, you controller sends PC 001, PC 002 and PC 003. On the Axe Fx, map 001 to preset 001 scene 1, 002 to preset 001 scene 2, etc...
Ok got it.
Just realized that once I map one, I just scroll to the next number and it remembers the previous. Wasn't obvious to my brain.
Thx.

Back
Top Bottom