What is your average "Output Level" percentage when playing?

Vintagero

(Edit for better understanding, it wasn´t clear before. I´m sorry, english is not my mother tongue)

Hi guys. I´m trying to adjust my preset volumes, but it depends from the "Output Level" percentage. What is your average?

If it´s possible i would like to know the values that appear in the VU meter screen instead of the position of the knob on the front panel.;):D

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I set all my presets to the line on the vu meter when building patches( I normaly strum e and a chords) and then edit at practice with the band. normally I end up durning the cleans down some and leave the gain patches as is.

I´m sorry, it wasn´t clear before. I meant the percentage in the "Output Level" (VU meter screen).

(At least REDD understood me...):)

Thanks again! ;)

Ok, now i´ve known how to edit the title...;)

I 'm having some problems, especially when I play live: sometimes the tech tells me to get more volume to the mixer, i use the "Output Level" knob and then my sounds change to more "bass" and "fuzz". And that´s why i ask you, maybe i´m doing something wrong...:confused:

Thanks for your help.

The output level knob won't change your 'tone' at all. However, the more volume you have, the more the Fletcher-Munson effect kicks in, so the bass and treble will really ramp up.
Making your presets less susceptible to this initially is one option, by making them more mid-rangey, but some nifty EQ at the desk may help too.

Output Level set to 50% and on the VU meter I try and set every preset to around 0dB when playing the same chords.

Output Level set to 50% and on the VU meter I try and set every preset to around 0dB when playing the same chords.

But you have to put the "Amp Level" of your amp block too low, no? (like -34 or so...). Is not a problem?

Thanks for the answers!

But you have to put the "Amp Level" of your amp block too low, no? (like -34 or so...). Is not a problem?

Thanks for the answers!
The sound man needs to reduce gain or pad the signal ! Usually when they don't want to it's because they are mixing visually instead of by ear. I can think of one I've dealt with that thinks all the sliders have to be at unity or it doesn't work right ? Can't get him to understand that isn't correct ??? Oh well , what do you do ?

the axe sends out a line level signal. if you give that to the soundman, he needs to route that to one or two line level inputs on the desk. if he doesn't have any, then he'll need to use two mic inputs (he may not even realise it's line level unless you tell him). in that case, you'll need to keep the output dialled very low on the axe...no higher than 9o/c on the dial. i carry a di box with me, just for this kind of situation

In my case, essentially playing in my home studio:
- OUt1 level : 15%
- amp block levels from -30 to -15 dB, in order to have the VU meter at -3dB - 0 dB

Without my boosts and solo volume increase engaged, I try to average "0" on the horizontal VU meters in the front panel utility menu. The less compressed the preset, like a clean fender, the more "overshoot" on the meters.

For most amp models, the amp block level is between -18 to -9

I fine tune the preset volumes against each other by ear with the boosts off.

Then I double check with all the boosts engaged that I am not clipping the output.

I keep the front panel out 1 knob at 50% and use out 1 L XLR to FOH.

With this setup I rarely get asked by the sound techs to turn up or down levels. Just played a big outdoor festival with this setup on Saturday and they didn't do anything but a line check and go.

the above settings of mine were for the studio. live i use out 2 to the desk line ins and have out 2 on 100%. the input gain on the stereo channel on the desk is set on about 1o/c

Amps level at about -15 db
Output 1 at about 20-25% for daily practise in my music room. It is like listening a CD at a nice volume at home. (I play mostly with backtracks)
Output 1 at about 50% when I want to play louder. My own experience is that it doesn't sound much much louder with Output 1 between 50% - 100% in comparison with 50%

I play with studio monitors 8"

Output at 75% at current but mainly because that is the only way to get to the headphone level I need going direct into the headphone jack from the Axe 2. I have a little different approach due to some clipping I was getting as far as the VU meter. I look for nor lead patches to fluctuate between -2dB to -1dB and my lead sounds to hit at +2dB pretty consistently and I'm using a mid dialed/mid-boosted sound with highs and lows rolled off. I was getting output clipping when kicking in some delays so just gave myself a little more headroom. Before I used to set standard patches as close to 0dB on VU and then went +4 to +5db on leads. Need to still field test if my leads are cutting through without having to bump the volume further.

I use a frowny face post amp GEQ for my lead boosts. As such I don't increase the block level much if at all. Instead, the mid boost from the frowny curve is enough to cut the mix really well.

I use a frowny face post amp GEQ for my lead boosts. As such I don't increase the block level much if at all. Instead, the mid boost from the frowny curve is enough to cut the mix really well.

Did you ever try the same thing with PEQ? That's kind of what I'm doing too but through PEQ vs GEQ. Would be interested in your settings to give them a go vs. my PEQ settings

Back
Top Bottom