Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 3.01 Firmware Release

Yes, dynamic pres is much more poweful than it used to be. I had it set to 4 in one of my presets and now i have to set it to 0.4. I dont know if it's a deliberate change or not, but the usable range has decreased dramatically
Same here........maybe because some user told the amps have got darker? I haven´t heard this in my presets and so dynamic pres leads the ampsounds into frequences which I don´t like or can´t use. Maybe Cliff can explain..........

So I am curious why the SLP1959 has a default setting of 1 on Xfrmr Grind, and the Plexi models have a default of 0?
The SLP1959 models are the reissues models and the Plexi models are the vintage models. I figured it would be the other way around?

Existing presets will be updated to default Transformer Grind and Dynamic Presence values upon recall. So make a mental note of where you were setting Dynamic Presence and set Transformer Grind to that value.

So just to clarify, if you previously had Dynamic Presence set to X, then you should set Transformer Grind and Dynamic Presence to X?

Is someone could explain to me Dynamic presence and the new parameter Transformer Grind.
I never used them before.
they work together ? for what ?
Thank you.

no. they're different parameters and they work differently.

if you search through the release notes, you'll see cliff's explanations of what they do.

transformer grind was originally going to replace dynamic pres, but now we have both

Is someone could explain to me Dynamic presence and the new parameter Transformer Grind.
I never used them before.
they work together ? for what ?
Thank you.

Release notes Quantum 3.x:
"Improved Amp block output transformer modeling. New model more accurately simulates dynamic core losses and leakage inductance. The “Xfrmr Grind” knob controls the intensity of the effect. Higher values result in more high frequency response and a more “open” sound. Very high values can yield a raspy, spitty tone common in vintage and/or low wattage amps. Modern “big iron” amps tend to have low values. Note that the audibility is dependent upon how hard the virtual power amp is driven and is more noticeable as the MV is increased. Also note that the effect in real amps is highly dependent on the speaker. Some speaker/transformer combinations exhibit significant high frequency dynamic boost while other combinations yield almost none. As always use your ears as the final determinant."

Dynamic Presence (from wiki):
"This models the output transformer leakage inductance that results in a brightening of the tone when the power amp is pushed. This control is set to a default value when the model is selected corresponding to the real amp, if applicable. Increasing this value results in a brighter response as the virtual power amp is pushed. When playing softly or at lower gains, the influence of this control is lessened. Note that this only affects the power amp modeling and is dependent on the degree of power amp overdrive. This control can also be set negative to cause the tone to darken when playing hard. This control can also be used to help “dial in” the sweet spot of an amp model. As the MV is increased an amp becomes more liquid, compressed and easier to play. However, the highs may get overly compressed causing the amp to sound too dark. The Dynamic Presence control allows you to get the desired power amp drive and liquid feeling and then bring the highs back without affecting the rest of the spectrum.
Another way to look at it: a distortion-dependent treble filter."

Yes, dynamic pres is much more poweful than it used to be. I had it set to 4 in one of my presets and now i have to set it to 0.4. I dont know if it's a deliberate change or not, but the usable range has decreased dramatically

Glad it's not just me experiencing this. I thought maybe the control taper had changed, but it's now harder for me to find the sweet spot.

Please read this carefully if you are coming from one of the 3.00 beta versions:
The Dynamic Presence knob is now the way it was in 2.04 and earlier.

It's exactly the same as before.

To my ears the old Dyn Pres doesn´t sound like in early firmwares - it´s getting very harsh.....mmh

Have tried the savage with a Mode4 cab - the new xformer grind hasn´t changed the sound .......it´s the amp maybe? cliff told us, it works better on smaller amps.

It's EXACTLY the same as 2.04 and earlier. Please read the release notes and the OP carefully. Transformer Grind is now what Dynamic Presence was in 3.00 and Dynamic Presence has been restored to what it was prior to 3.00.

You're using the wrong knob. Please read the release notes and OP carefully. The knob you want is Transformer Grind.

Why would you say that? AFAIK, I am using them appropriately. On the Bludo amp with low MV, I want to get a bit more bite when I dig in. That previously was the Dynamic Presence knob, and as far as the release notes seem to indicate, it still is. I'm not using transformer grind at all on this amp, because it is a "big iron" amp and the MV is set low. But that Dynamic Presence control seems more touchy than before.

Why would you say that? AFAIK, I am using them appropriately. On the Bludo amp with low MV, I want to get a bit more bite when I dig in. That previously was the Dynamic Presence knob, and as far as the release notes seem to indicate, it still is. I'm not using transformer grind at all on this amp, because it is a "big iron" amp and the MV is set low. But that Dynamic Presence control seems more touchy than before.

It's exactly the same as 2.04 and earlier but NOT the same as 3.00.

i agree. we're not confusing it with grind...just expecting the same behaviour as it was before 3.0b. it may be the same as 2.04, but is it the same as it was before then as well?

I personally find that XFRMR GRND at 1.00 is just beautiful sounding, I leave Dynamic Presence at 0.00 cause it adds too much mid-high. Try it, kudos Flav! THANX AGAIN CLIFF!!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom