UNO Chip Newb

haffner1

Inspired
I'm considering moving over to the UNO chip from my eurekaprom chip for my FCB 1010 but I have a few questions and I know there are a few users here.
1. will I need to use a usb adapter for the editing/flashing the prom? Is this something that can be done with the thru function on the Axe? If not, what is the most reliable/cost effective one out there?
2. Is there a free editor software out there that is workable? If not, which non-freeware one is the easiest to use?
3. Is it possible to set different modes like the eurekaprom and if so how easy are they to set up? I like some of the setup functions of the eureka prom, but some of the modes are not set up the way that would work best for me.
4. Will the UNO chip show effects states and tuner information like eureka prom? (or at least 3.2 is supposed to do that with the XL, whenever they finally get around to releasing it)

1. You have to buy chip, flash it with dedicated device and replace the chip in your FCB, that is easy but needs opening of FCB.
2. Ripwerx is free and very simple...
3. Yes, it is possible - you have direct mode (selecting patch numer by pressing numer switches), stompbox mode (one row is for presets, 2nd for stomps, up/down for bank) and regular preset mode (10 presets and up/down bank).
4. No, it will not. UNO is only sending MIDI messages.

Thanks for the response. To clarify, what I'm asking about flashing the prom is what kind of interface device will I need? I'm using a laptop that doesn't have a midi port, so I'll have to use some kind of usb to midi adapter. It doesn't seem like the axe will work, now that I have read a little more of the manual. What I'm really going for is to be able to access presets on the top row, preferably in banks, and then scenes on the bottom. I rarely engage effects individually, but I also rarely use more than 5 scenes, so that would be perfect. I'm not sure I can do this with either the eureka prom or the uno, but I don't really want to buy a MFC. First the expense, but also just because it's so big and a lot more than I need.

Basically AxeFX is also a MIDI interface, but i does not work properly with FCB for programming.
I am using MIDISport 2x2 without any problems.
In the stombox mode Uno will allow you to have presets on upper row, lower row will be stompbox to control scenes. With stompboxes you can also control tuner or any other thing controlled by CC, but remember that those CC's are assigned globally (for all presets).

For PC, but I will probably just pony up the $20 or so for the graphic interface one. Ripwerks was made for older XP systems and as far as I can tell, hasn't been updated.

Back
Top Bottom