Eric Johnson Tone

guitartripp

Inspired
Ok, download this thing and give it your best tweaking shot! I'm getting close...I can feel it!!!

Please upload your update so we can try it out...and write in what you changed. This was built in the Axe Fx II. The guitar I'm using is a '79 Strat with Lindy Fralins re-wound pickups...any strat with single coils is going to get close...

Scene 1 - Clean
Scene 2 - Dirty Rhythm (haven't really worked on it)
Scene 3 - Lead

Attachments

• EJ Strat.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
Well, let me just grab one of my spare '79 strats with Lindy Fralins re-wound pickups.
I've already stolen your guitar strings and pick, to ensure congruity.
I'll post my results as soon as I finish conjecturing where you had your guitars' volume and tone knobs set.
:p
Thanks for the non-constructive criticism. I was simply letting anyone interested in knowing what I'm using...please troll elsewhere...

Thanks for the non-constructive criticism. I was simply letting anyone interested in knowing what I'm using...please troll elsewhere...
i'm sure that wasn't a troll or a criticism at all, but just a joke in general about the specificity of EJ's tone. not directed toward you specifically. i think he's actually supporting what you've done with that comment.

I always love what Fractal does With EJ's tone. I've been using cliffs of chaulk on the FX8 a lot. Has there been any changes to his patches within the past year? I've sold my last AXE FX on eBay but have another one on order. And I was wondering if they are ever gonna make a patch on his "fuzzy" tone...LIke his lead tone on "GEM"

I don't troll around here, I take my guitar tone (and your tone endeavors) very seriously.
The point you missed is that you're crafting a preset very specific to your setup.
We can try to perfect it, but in the end what you already have is probably going to be closer than we can get once you upload our tweaks.

....so, you're welcome.

Can you share settings for second amp and second cab please? I opened the preset in Ax-8 thanks to axe-fx-send but second Amp and Cab disappears of course :) Gonna use Amp Y Cab Y for that to try :)

Can you share settings for second amp and second cab please? I opened the preset in Ax-8 thanks to axe-fx-send but second Amp and Cab disappears of course :) Gonna use Amp Y Cab Y for that to try :)

I can get them to you tonight. Thanks!

I don't troll around here, I take my guitar tone (and your tone endeavors) very seriously.
The point you missed is that you're crafting a preset very specific to your setup.
We can try to perfect it, but in the end what you already have is probably going to be closer than we can get once you upload our tweaks.

....so, you're welcome.
It just seemed facetious...everyone knows EVERY guitar is going to be different, but if you look at any other matching post, someone asks the question of what guitar/pickups. That's all...back to the task at hand.

Anyone toy around with the preset???

I did over the weekend with a 70's Strat, Kinman pups, maple fingerboard, CLR monitors.

I tried all the scenes.

Out of the box it didn't work for my rig. The ratio of efx to direct tone was off. It mostly was a wash of efx and indistinct.

I can appreciate the work you put into this though and thanks for taking time to share it with the community. I found some cool stuff in your block chaining and approach.

I always welcome studying someone's work even if it doesn't apply to my thing directly.

I did over the weekend with a 70's Strat, Kinman pups, maple fingerboard, CLR monitors.

I tried all the scenes.

Out of the box it didn't work for my rig. The ratio of efx to direct tone was off. It mostly was a wash of efx and indistinct.

I can appreciate the work you put into this though and thanks for taking time to share it with the community. I found some cool stuff in your block chaining and approach.

I always welcome studying someone's work even if it doesn't apply to my thing directly.

Can I ask what your rig is? Are you going FRFR or into an amp? Which Fractal product? I'd like to try it with a maple neck...mine is Rosewood...

Can I ask what your rig is? Are you going FRFR or into an amp? Which Fractal product? I'd like to try it with a maple neck...mine is Rosewood...

FRFR

70's Strat / Maple Board / Kinman pickups -> wired -> Front Input 1 XL+ -> Atomic CLR powered speaker / on a speaker stand above head height / free field mode / sub mode off

The preset didn't seem overly bright so I'm not sure the Maple fingerboard was a big difference maker.

Edit: as a touch point, this preset works great with no tweaks on the exact same guitar and setup http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/marillion-kayleigh-clean-and-lead-needed.112964/#post-1351017 and is fairly drenched in efx too.

Last edited:
yeah it's not a very bright preset...Eric's tone is very mid-rangy, and I believe he does not have his tone control all the way up...I have mine all the way up though setting this preset up.

Back
Top Bottom