Thinking about a Tele style guitar

...And it should be forbidden by law to install a humbucker pickup on a Tele! :cool:

e75e475a48cfb2076543c97f57c7ef2e.jpg

My primary tele is a 62 reissue. The neck and body are great, but I didn't like the original pickups, so I replaced them with Lollars (still single / single config). Also I replaced the bridge plate with a Joe Barden brass plate. While I was at it, I swapped out the stock switch for a 4-way version, so I have the three standard tele modes (brige / both / neck), plus the fourth position : both pickups in series, which gives you a huge fat jazzy tone. Also, if you have a tele with a six-saddle bridge, I'd strong suggest swapping it out for a compensated three-brass-saddle version. In my opinion, for a great tele tone, you want as much positive string-hardware-body resonance as possible. The combined downward pressure of two strings on a shared saddle sounds much better, as does stringing through the body.

I knew the neck / body combo on this guitar was great when I first played it, but I also knew it was being hamstrung by the crummy pickups and the stamped bridge plate + stamped saddles. Once those mechanics were addressed, my inexpensive tele really opened up.

A tele is a super honest guitar that reveals playing nuance. You *can* just thrash on it and it'll make guitar sounds, but it will also respond to great technique and dynamics. I've always been impressed with tele players who can sound great when plugged straight into a Fender amp with no effects.

One of my fellow players uses an LSL Tele (he's got a LSL Strat and Topanga models too) and it sounds amazing. Maybe they have something in their range that fits your needs.

I bought a Fender Baja Telecaster last summer. I love it. Just a real solid, no bullshit, great sounding telecaster.
Highly recommended!

Anyone care to comment on the one that on ebay?
I like that one and I am a fender guy - mostly strats though. I do like 6 saddles on a tele-I know, I know, I know supposedly the sound is better the old way - well the intonation isn't.
That looks like a nice guitar
sixstring-did you check Reverb.com?
But I kid of agree with Matt also.

I like going to the store and playing the guitar. I bought 2 Strats unplayed - one is the fabulous 2006 USA Deluxe in my Avatar, the other was not so great - sold it to a fix it up guy. It just was not right. But I would buy unplayed if the guitar had enough pics and info.

I like that one and I am a fender guy - mostly strats though. I do like 6 saddles on a tele-I know, I know, I know supposedly the sound is better the old way - well the intonation isn't.
That looks like a nice guitar
sixstring-did you check Reverb.com?
But I kid of agree with Matt also.

I like going to the store and playing the guitar. I bought 2 Strats unplayed - one is the fabulous 2006 USA Deluxe in my Avatar, the other was not so great - sold it to a fix it up guy. It just was not right. But I would buy unplayed if the guitar had enough pics and info.

Yes I have looked on Reverb, I think the problem I'm having is 1, I don't have a huge budget $5-700 is all I'm looking to really spend right now and I know it's not a very reasonable budget if one is looking for a great playing guitar but it is possible. 2, There are so many Tele Style guitars out there it is time consuming to sift through all of the guitars available looking for that killer deal!

I also agree with Matt but to find the Tele I'm looking for would really have to be made. The only other alternative that comes close is the Dean zelinsky Tele's, problem is you can't pick one up to play it. Even though they have a 30 money back deal it still takes time which I have so will see. I have also looked at Warmoth which is a possibility but I need to do some more homework.

Back
Top Bottom